DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Loctite stick advice please (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/342934-loctite-stick-advice-please.html)

[email protected] June 28th 12 03:13 PM

Loctite stick advice please

I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a
brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the
brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that
Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the
small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied
cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the
threads. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

Larry Jaques[_4_] June 28th 12 05:11 PM

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:13:17 -0700, wrote:

I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a
brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the
brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that
Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the
small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied
cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the
threads. Anybody know?

I've used it to lock what I remember to be 8-32 setscrews back when I
was an auto mechanic. I secured loose blower fans to the motor shafts.
I was using the red 271 threadlocker, the liquid form of 268, and I
never had a come-back after using it.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Stanley Schaefer June 28th 12 08:43 PM

On Jun 28, 8:13*am, wrote:
I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a
brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the
brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that
Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the
small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied
cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the
threads. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

I don't know how you're going to get clean threads with anything that
you apply, stick or liquid. When you screw the set screw home, it's
going to rub off on the female threads. They do make screws with
nylon locking spots that small, might not fit well with your bid,
though. Have some on my current laptop. Or bid two set screws, one
on top of the other. Have done that one, too.

Stan

[email protected] June 28th 12 10:05 PM

Loctite stick advice please

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:11:26 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:13:17 -0700, wrote:

I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a
brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the
brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that
Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the
small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied
cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the
threads. Anybody know?

I've used it to lock what I remember to be 8-32 setscrews back when I
was an auto mechanic. I secured loose blower fans to the motor shafts.
I was using the red 271 threadlocker, the liquid form of 268, and I
never had a come-back after using it.

Thanks Larry, that's just what I was looking for. I'm sure that any
compound that doesn't make it into the part will be easier to remove
than a liquid that will wick along the threads.
Eric

Doug White June 29th 12 12:01 AM

Loctite stick advice please

wrote in news:fmhpu7hudfpauh2bhnaubu3venbqu4bro8@
4ax.com:

wrote:

I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a
brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the
brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that
Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the
small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied
cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the
threads. Anybody know?

I've used it to lock what I remember to be 8-32 setscrews back when I
was an auto mechanic. I secured loose blower fans to the motor shafts.
I was using the red 271 threadlocker, the liquid form of 268, and I
never had a come-back after using it.

Thanks Larry, that's just what I was looking for. I'm sure that any
compound that doesn't make it into the part will be easier to remove
than a liquid that will wick along the threads.

I've used the red stuff, but on larger screws. It's pretty squishy, and
it's very hard to put so little on the threads that none of it squeezes
out as you thread things together.

Doug White

anorton June 29th 12 02:26 AM

wrote in message
I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a
brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the
brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that
Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the
small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied
cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the
threads. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

I think this is a situation where you go back to the customer and ask if the
adhesive-free part of the stud has to extend exactly to the surface or could
they allow, lets say, a 0.030" region near the surface that may have some
adhesive.

If they say no, ask if there could be a small shallow counterbore or
countersink around the threaded hole that would let some adhesive ooze out
without extending above the surface.

[email protected] June 29th 12 04:27 AM

Loctite stick advice please

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 18:26:11 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The exposed threads pretty much need to be loctite free because
another part screws on and off. There is going to be a thread or so
with loctite on it and that will be OK. But not two threads. And the
female threads can't have excess loctite either. That's why I don't
want something that wicks. It looks like the stick stuff will work.
Eric