Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crown Stoves - Repair Parts

I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 21, 7:50*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? *For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

"Not firing on all pistons" reminds me of when I would run my car
engine in the dark to look for sparks jumping from the ignition
wires. Have you looked for high voltage "leaking" with the top off?

Elso, maybe you can contact these guys for help:
http://www.theignitorstore.com/catalog/norton_igniters/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Most of the Crown line was hand assembled. What was left of the company
was bought by Roper who then sold the range parts to GE.

Is the problem the igniters themselves the switches or the spark unit?
If you have say two burners that don't light while the others work fine
then it's probably a wiring problem to them. I don't think I have ever
seen the igniter tips fail unless they are physically damaged.
They are usually very simple spark gaps.

If the problem is that none of the burners work then it may be the spark
unit itself. That could be more difficult to deal with because you will
need to figure out how the switching works. Most use a simple switch in
each control that are parallel wired to the spark generator. Others used
individual switches that connect to a common buss. Either way you would
find the point where they connect up and wire in a different spark
generator. You should be able to use a newer unit depending on the problem.

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com
http://www.partselect.com/

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 21, 6:50*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? *For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

What sort of spark generator? A piezo pushbutton or something with an
actual coil hooked to AC? If you cruise around the big boxes, you can
usually find piezo replacements over in the grill section this time of
year. Usually fit into a 3/4-7/8" hole. Might be all that's needed
is to clean the spark gaps and regap. Wiring might have perished
insulation, too. No spark if it's jumping out somewhere other than
the gap.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've worked on stoves, where the spark worked. But, the little hole that let
some gas to the sparker got clogged by food residue. Had to take it all
apart, and clean the burners with oven cleaner.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I've worked on stoves, where the spark worked. But, the little hole that let
some gas to the sparker got clogged by food residue. Had to take it all
apart, and clean the burners with oven cleaner.

I did look for that, and found nothing. (It was the usual problem with
pilot-light stoves.) The other clue is that one does not hear a spark
from the burner that one is trying to ignite.

Joe Gwinn

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Stanley Schaefer wrote:

[...]

It is electronic, powered by 120 vac. When one turns the gas all the
way up on a burner, a switch closes and the generator makes a spark
every second or so. When the burner ignites, one sets the knob to the
desired flame height. From listening, it seems that a given spark
generator drives two burners, but I'm not quite sure.

Spark leakage may be an issue, but it doesn't kill the other spark.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Steve W." wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure. In one case, I hear some other burner sparking, while the
intended burner is silent. In another case, there is no spark sound, so
I may have both problems.

I don't have any service manual information. Are such available
anywhere? One assumes they are available somewhere, in some form.

I don't think I have ever
seen the igniter tips fail unless they are physically damaged.
They are usually very simple spark gaps.

I have looked at these, and one did have a broken ceramic, but was able
to repair or replace it ten years ago, if memory serves.

If the problem is that none of the burners work then it may be the spark
unit itself. That could be more difficult to deal with because you will
need to figure out how the switching works. Most use a simple switch in
each control that are parallel wired to the spark generator. Others used
individual switches that connect to a common buss. Either way you would
find the point where they connect up and wire in a different spark
generator. You should be able to use a newer unit depending on the problem.

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com
http://www.partselect.com/

Most of the burners do work, so the main spark unit is OK. Only one
oven lights, though; used to be both worked. But something is busted,
and will need repair or replacement. Thanks for the URLs - I'll browse
them.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

On Jun 21, 7:50*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? *For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

"Not firing on all pistons" reminds me of when I would run my car
engine in the dark to look for sparks jumping from the ignition
wires. Have you looked for high voltage "leaking" with the top off?

I have, but by listening. This works better with a stove than an
engine. I suppose there is no harm in doing both at the same time on
the stove.

Elso, maybe you can contact these guys for help:
http://www.theignitorstore.com/catalog/norton_igniters/

Thanks - I'll check them out.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 7:50:05 PM UTC-5, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Hi Joe,

Do you still have this stove? Does it work? Would you be willing to part with it? Would your wife??

I'd be interested in anything you can tell me about keeping it working. My Mom's is a similar model. It should really be replaced, but we can't find anything that has the same features (two ovens large enough to fit her pans) and that fit in that spot in the kitchen.

I'd appreciate any hints or tricks!

-- mmd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 2017, wrote
(in ):

[...]

Deckman,

My Crown does work, and is used every day. The clock/timer wore out years
ago, and was disconnected to prevent an annoying clicking sound.

Those Crown stoves are beasts straight from the 1950s. No electronics, so
they degrade slowly.

As for the failing igniters, the leftmost two burners rarely light on their
own, so we use a handheld spark igniter. A friend of my wife also has a
Crown, and she uses a handheld igniter for all burners. I can hear a spark,
but it is somewhere elsewhere than at the problem burners. Ive tried
tracking the spark sound with the stove top off, but have not yet found the
problem. Probably need to poke around with a stethoscope slowly, but have not
had the time. When found, this will be easily fixed.

What problems are you having? Have you found a suitable source of the spark
igniters et al? All my spark igniters seem to work in that one always hears a
spark, even if the burner doesnt light, but they wont last forever. I
did have one burner theat didnt work or make a spark sound. When I tok the
top off the stove and looked, I found that the control wire had worked its
way off the switch body on the burner control valve. Reconnected the wire
(push-on spade terminal) and the burner would light.

Do you have or know of any service documentation?

As for a possible sale, I can talk to the wife. Where do you live? (Im in
the Boston area.) Replacing the stove is by itself a big deal, and crating
and shipping the old stove well enough to survive shipping is also likely to
be a pretty big deal.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
s.com...
On Feb 18, 2017, wrote
(in ):

[...]

Have you tried these guys?
http://antiquevintageappliances.com/
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 10:40:01 PM UTC-4, Denis G. wrote:
On Jun 21, 7:50Â*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? Â*For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

"Not firing on all pistons" reminds me of when I would run my car
engine in the dark to look for sparks jumping from the ignition
wires.

Imagine if cars had pilot lights. Ha!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:32:21 -0800, mogulah wrote:
On Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 10:40:01 PM UTC-4, Denis G. wrote:
On Jun 21, 7:50Â*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? Â*For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

"Not firing on all pistons" reminds me of when I would run my car
engine in the dark to look for sparks jumping from the ignition
wires.

Imagine if cars had pilot lights. Ha!

Stanley Steamers had a pilot flame, with pilot fuel like hexane vs
main fuels like kerosene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLgssxCjQNw
shows some people a couple of years ago trying to get the pilot going
on a 1910 Steamer, using a propane torch. I suspect owners back in
the day had some smoother ways of starting up.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message
news
[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-tube_ignitor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 20:58:18 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps so. I watched those guys trying to blow themselves up and the
next video on YT was Jay Leno with his boosted (30" upsized boiler vs
standard 26", fuel pressure. bumped from 140 to 180psi) Stanley
Steamer. He gives a great talk on how it all works, and shows their
work on baffles to equalize the flow to get more even burner heat.

Fascinating video, 2 thumbs up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Me8b0ed59s

"When you're made of wood and you're on fire going 65mph down the
freeway...it's fascinating." Jay said.

Then, I followed his links to the Baker Electric car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnjMdzGusc

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There's been a Jay Leno's Garage marathon all day today on CNBC. Fun show.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have the same American Crown 6 burner stove that doesn't light without me physically lighting it. I have the double oven, but the temperatures are kind of out of whack. I need it repaired, but American Crown is out of business. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this fixed before Thanksgiving?

Thanks
Jill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 05:45:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have the same American Crown 6 burner stove that doesn't light without me physically lighting it. I have the double oven, but the temperatures are kind of out of whack. I need it repaired, but American Crown is out of business. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this fixed before Thanksgiving?

Jill, most appliance repairmen may be able to get the part. I believe
they're called a "starter" for electronically lit burners and "pilot
generator" for the old pilot-flamed models. If they have trouble, try
http://www.stovelady.com/partsordering.php

I had a gas Merrit and O'Keefe DeVille 4 burner with chrome griddle in
the middle, a fully adjustable height broiler on the left, and stove
on the right. Great old beastie from the '20s. Had it re-orificed
for propane by a plumber who installed the gas line.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message ...

I have the same American Crown 6 burner stove that doesn't light without me physically lighting it.
I have the double oven, but the temperatures are kind of out of whack. I need it repaired, but
American Crown is out of business. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this fixed
before Thanksgiving?

Thanks
Jill

Another source for parts and repair is
http://www.antiquevintageappliances....ue_stoves.html
they are in Tucson and some of my friends highly reccommend them.

good luck.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 11:36:44 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

Another source for parts and repair is
http://www.antiquevintageappliances....ue_stoves.html
they are in Tucson and some of my friends highly reccommend them.

Website says "not currently selling parts." Rats.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Chimney crown repair ole Home Repair 2 July 15th 07 03:20 AM
TV REPAIR CRTS, PCBS, PARTS, NEW UNUSED PARTS FOR SALE, MAKE US A OFFER, WE CAN SHIP WITH-IN 24 HOURS User Electronics Repair 7 December 19th 05 03:31 PM
Crown D150 and 150a repair Groovetyme Band Electronics Repair 4 November 17th 05 04:35 PM
LG A/C Repair Parts Question? Bob Mariotti Home Repair 10 May 15th 05 01:38 PM
Jotul Stoves - Anyone sell these stoves Online? M Wilson Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 10:23 PM