Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bending 1/8 inch thick 7075-T6 aluminum

Hey all:

I'm wondering what it will take to put a 2-3 inch curve in a 21 to 24-
inch wide sheet if 1/8 inch thick 7075-T6 aluminum. I ask because I
run a business making stage weapons out of 1/4 inch 7075 plate, and
would like to be able to offer shields as well. Flat shields are
fine, but curved shields are more user-friendly. I realize that 7075
is not an alloy that is friendly to forming operations, but we're
talking about a slight curve in a relatively large, thin piece.

Specifically, will a 20-ton shop press (with a shield-sized stamping
mold attached, of course) do this job? I say 20 ton, because that's
the smallest size press that will accommodate a work piece at least 21
inches in width, and it's about what's in my price range.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to make both square shields and dished rounds,
but if these operations require heavy industrial rollers and spinners,
then I'd rather not spend the dough on such a large press. Does anyone
have any advice to give?

Thanks,

Nathan