Old August 11th 17, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do welding shade numbers add up? Eclipse viewing.

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 09:08:02 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 2:57:26 AM UTC-4, Richard Smith wrote:

Same reason as condom moulds for forming from the natural latex are
made of glass - they are either fully intact or fully broken - nothing
in-between is possible.

Today, I have learned something new. Thanks, Richard.

Right! I always wondered why there was no market for condom blowout
patches...

--
Ed Huntress

Old August 11th 17, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 2:57:26 AM UTC-4, Richard Smith wrote:

Same reason as condom moulds for forming from the natural latex are
made of glass - they are either fully intact or fully broken - nothing
in-between is possible.

Today, I have learned something new. Thanks, Richard.

Right! I always wondered why there was no market for condom blowout
patches...

It's not like you will ever have that problem is it, ya bareback
butthole surfer?

Old August 13th 17, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 22:58:09 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Now now Ed That is wishful thinking.

Martin

I've never minded much being called a cheapskate, but I guess one can
carry it too far...

-
Ed Huntress

Old August 16th 17, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 1:53:14 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
I want to look at the eclipse this weekend.
Everybody says a #14 welding shade is good.
I don't have one.

So, how do the numbers stack up when you use 2?
I'm guessing it's not linear, so 7+7 doesn't = 14???

What's the math for stacking welding shades?

Thanks, mike

My welder's supply store stocks #5 and #10. I bought one of each and stacked them and they compare favorably to the #14 i already have. Mathwise, they check out also (OD = 5.564)

Old August 17th 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 1:53:14 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
I want to look at the eclipse this weekend.
Everybody says a #14 welding shade is good.
I don't have one.

So, how do the numbers stack up when you use 2?
I'm guessing it's not linear, so 7+7 doesn't = 14???

What's the math for stacking welding shades?

Thanks, mike

It is not linear 7+7 =/= 14

Simply put S_1 + S_2 - 1 = S_true

Example if you have two shade 7s:
7+7-1=13 Not Safe
Old August 17th 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 6:29:31 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
"mike" wrote in message
I want to look at the eclipse this weekend.
Everybody says a #14 welding shade is good.
I don't have one.

So, how do the numbers stack up when you use 2?
I'm guessing it's not linear, so 7+7 doesn't = 14???

What's the math for stacking welding shades?

Thanks, mike

Sent my wife today for two 4 x 5 shade 14 lenses. They said they were out,
and had sold 14,000 lenses. We are SMACK DAB in the middle of the path here
in Toquerville, Utah. My NexGen only goes up to 13. What's up with that?

Steve

The NASA site says that between 12 and 14 is safe but that some find 12 to bright and other 14 to dark but you can't really get 13. There are a lot of "internet experts" who just run with 14 and spout it as gospel.
Old August 17th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 1:53:14 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
I want to look at the eclipse this weekend.
Everybody says a #14 welding shade is good.
I don't have one.

So, how do the numbers stack up when you use 2?
I'm guessing it's not linear, so 7+7 doesn't = 14???

What's the math for stacking welding shades?

Thanks, mike

you can not stack the lens, can still have severe damage, this is coming directly from NASA.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 3:47:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 1:53:14 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
I want to look at the eclipse this weekend.
Everybody says a #14 welding shade is good.
I don't have one.

So, how do the numbers stack up when you use 2?
I'm guessing it's not linear, so 7+7 doesn't = 14???

What's the math for stacking welding shades?

Thanks, mike

you can not stack the lens, can still have severe damage, this is coming directly from NASA.

Dear Smm...., what exactly do you mean by "you can not stack the lens"? We're talking about stacking the solar filters, that is, the darkening filters.. And, which bit of info exactly "is coming directly from NASA"? Are you employed by NASA? Or are you referring to a document from NASA--if so, would you link to it?

- Neu