Old June 2nd 16, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coat Model 3 star tire changer

I have a model 3 star tire changer that I'm trying to figure out how to modify to work on 13" and 17" drop center wheels. Im thinking about cutting the rim off of the main platform that the tires sets on, reducing the diameter by 1.5", then welding the rim back on. Anybody ever modify this model of tire changes to make it work for the newer wheels?

Old June 2nd 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 04:27:25 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, April 9, 2012 at 10:51:50 PM UTC-7, oldjag wrote:
I was given a 60's vintage Coats Tireman 3 star manual tire changer.
It's in working order, except the tire iron, or mount/demount bar is
missing. It has a hand operated upper and lower bead breaker. I ran
across another somewhat older unit, probably from the 50's, that has a
bar about 4' long, one end is sort of spoon shaped and the other, I
guess the mounting end, has two ~3" wheels and a 3/8" diameter roller
to kinda skate the tire on I guess.

It looks like I could make a copy of the demount/mount bar pretty
easily, but I'm not sure if part of the bar is supposed to go through
the square hole in the swivel at the top of the center post. The
older machine I saw, as well as the Coat's current model 310 manual
changer don't have this feature.

I called Coats and they were no help. A replacement bar for the new
manual changer is $180, so I don't think that's in the cards, and I
think I want to cover the ends with UHMW sleeves so I can use it on
some of my aluminum rims.

When I used to race my GT2 car in the late 90's the Goodyear and
Hoosier tire trucks were still using manual machines at the track and
the tire guys could change low profile radial slick in a couple of
minutes...with some experience of course.

Anyone here ever use a similar machine?

I had a version waaaaaay back. But it came from a junkyard, and I
never knew if any of the included bars were original, or if I was
using them as intended. It looked like this.
http://motoheadmall.com/images/mamot...64_500x375.jpg

I built a manual changer for motorcycle tires, and used images from
this site as a model for the demount bar end.
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/ I bought a cheap big screwdriver
with a plastic handle and a through shaft. Lathe turned the profile
and to fit inside a piece of pipe. Carved a mount end of my own design
from a block of nylon or something that I guessed was originally a
bumper from a loading dock. Making a bar along those lines would
probably be easier and better for you than trying to duplicate the
original styles which won't be much good on alloy wheels.
Old June 3rd 16, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word
is love.
-- Sophocles

Sophocles is three or four hundred years ago BC, cave man thinking, right? Cave mannish thoughts mean they aren't modern. A lot like most big restaurant and hospitality chains seem to think that the favorite foods don't include mango, tamarind, guava or papaya. For some reason.
Old June 5th 16, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to reineggerframe, Jeffrey Bradley wrote:
Could you send me a few pictures of all the parts, just got one. I can fab up
some of the missing stuff if I see what they look like

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...er-541428-.htm

Old June 5th 16, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 10:15:09 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 5:41:32 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 19:03:28 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word
is love.
-- Sophocles

Sophocles is three or four hundred years ago BC, cave man thinking, right?

Cave mannish thoughts mean they aren't modern. A lot like most big
restaurant and hospitality chains seem to think that the favorite
foods don't include mango, tamarind, guava or papaya. For some
reason.

Actually, Sophocles wasn't a philosopher, he was a playwright and for
almost 50 years he was the most celebrated playwright in the dramatic
competitions of the city-state of Athens.

One of his more erudite quotes is: "Hide nothing, for time, which sees
all and hears all, exposes all."

Sophocles was a major critic of the first democracy (in Athens Greece). I guess that philosophy is only a "sometimes" state-of-mind.

If you are talking about Solon, he died in 558 BC

Sophocles served as one of the treasurers of Athena during the
political ascendancy of Pericles (ruled Athens approximately 461 to
429 BC) and he was elected one of the ten generals, executive
officials at Athens, as a junior colleague of Pericles, and he served
in the Athenian campaign against Samos.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 5th 16, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From that time, only a few of the documented plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripedes still exist and they quoted from each other regularly. Generally, the idea is that since there were so few other documents describing Athens then, they carry more authority.

Old June 5th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 04:18:02 +0000, Jeffrey Bradley
wrote:

replying to reineggerframe, Jeffrey Bradley wrote:
Could you send me a few pictures of all the parts, just got one. I can fab up
some of the missing stuff if I see what they look like

$68.19 changer bar on Amazon.com. Maybe it'll fit.
http://tinyurl.com/zr9yorp

I changed a few on an antique 4070 Coats back in the '80s.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Old November 29th 19, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to reineggerframe, Richard Bow wrote:
still got tire changer?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...er-541428-.htm