DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boat repair (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/338149-boat-repair.html)

[email protected] April 2nd 12 12:02 PM

Boat repair

Before I sell it for scrap, I'm trying to decide if it is worth repairing a rowboat I have, that was crumpled by a large tree falling on the bow. The boat was upside down near a cottonwood, when a foot diameter branch came down in a heavy wind. (Yeah, bad place to leave a boat, but there are a lot of cottonwood trees around here.) This left a large part bent in for about 2 feet back from the bow. Rivets popped. Folded in a foot deep.

If it was a small dent, I'd bang it out and repair the rivets. No problem there as I'm not looking for beauty, but there is a bit too much folding for that to work. Even a sledge won't pop it out. All I can think of is to build a heavy wooden frame around the boat that is shaped like the bow should be, then use a hydraulic bottle jack in some way to exert enough force on it to pop it back out, but I can spend more money on a heavy frame than the boat is worth in scrap value.

Any ideas? Whats the going price for scrap aluminum?

John

Steve B[_13_] April 2nd 12 10:56 PM

Boat repair

wrote in message
[...]

Can you post a pic?

Steve

Bob Engelhardt April 4th 12 12:38 AM

Boat repair

wrote:

... but I can spend more money on a heavy frame than the boat is worth
in scrap value.

Bad comparison. Better to compare the cost of the frame to the worth of
the repaired boat. You have 2 options: fix it or scrap it. Fix it for
the cost of the frame and have a usable boat. Scrap it and have the
scrap money, but no boat. Bob

NNJ Jeff May 16th 12 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 2836048)

Any ideas? Whats the going price for scrap aluminum?

John

John, I am literally in the same bo.. er, situation. I am considering drilling out enough rivets and attempting to straighten out each piece apart then re-assemble. My main concern is the top rail as it is an extrusion. I would love some pointers or pictures from anyone who has successfully done this.

Best of luck!!!
Jeff