DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Steel "U" channel? Or is it "C" channel? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/337703-steel-u-channel-c-channel.html)

Tom Gardner[_22_] March 22nd 12 11:29 PM

Steel "U" channel? Or is it "C" channel?

I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with 1" or
so leg length by 1/8" thick steel but doesn't have tapered legs and is bent
or formed from a flat strip. An Aluminum channel would work too but would
have to be a bit thicker. I'll be using pieces that are about 1-1/2" long.
Sure, I could make these in a punch press but I'd certainly rather not, I'm
fairly sure that the material exists but I just can't find it. Any ideas?

Brian Lawson March 23rd 12 08:22 PM

Steel "U" channel? Or is it "C" channel?

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:29:41 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with 1" or
so leg length by 1/8" thick steel but doesn't have tapered legs and is bent
or formed from a flat strip. An Aluminum channel would work too but would
have to be a bit thicker. I'll be using pieces that are about 1-1/2" long.
Sure, I could make these in a punch press but I'd certainly rather not, I'm
fairly sure that the material exists but I just can't find it. Any ideas?

Hey Tom,

have you considered Unistrut?

Available is a small variety of shapes and colours from most plumbing
and all electrical suppliers.

http://www.unistrut.us/

Brian Lawson.

dpb March 23rd 12 08:33 PM

On 3/22/2012 6:29 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with 1"
or so leg length by 1/8" thick steel but doesn't have tapered legs and
is bent or formed from a flat strip. An Aluminum channel would work too
but would have to be a bit thicker. I'll be using pieces that are about
1-1/2" long. Sure, I could make these in a punch press but I'd certainly
rather not, I'm fairly sure that the material exists but I just can't
find it. Any ideas?

I call if "formed channel"

Google finds several w/ that catchphrase...

http://www.johnsonrollforming.com/display.php/display/A1/category/2

Dennis March 24th 12 03:01 AM

wrote:

I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with 1"
or
so leg length by 1/8" thick steel but doesn't have tapered legs and is
bent
or formed from a flat strip. An Aluminum channel would work too but would
have to be a bit thicker. I'll be using pieces that are about 1-1/2"
long.
Sure, I could make these in a punch press but I'd certainly rather not,
I'm
fairly sure that the material exists but I just can't find it. Any ideas?

Hey Tom,

have you considered Unistrut?

Available is a small variety of shapes and colours from most plumbing
and all electrical suppliers.

http://www.unistrut.us/

Thats the stuff I was trying to remember!

Brian Lawson.

Tom Gardner[_22_] March 24th 12 06:28 AM

wrote:

I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with 1" or
so leg length by 1/8" thick steel but doesn't have tapered legs and is bent
or formed from a flat strip. An Aluminum channel would work too but would
have to be a bit thicker. I'll be using pieces that are about 1-1/2"
long.
Sure, I could make these in a punch press but I'd certainly rather not, I'm
fairly sure that the material exists but I just can't find it. Any ideas?

Hey Tom,

have you considered Unistrut?

Available is a small variety of shapes and colours from most plumbing
and all electrical suppliers.

http://www.unistrut.us/

Brian Lawson.

That'll do! I have some around here somewhere, I just need to remember what
I built....Hmmm.

dpb March 24th 12 04:16 PM

wrote:
I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with
1" or so leg length by 1/8" thick steel ...

have you considered Unistrut?

Available is a small variety of shapes and colours from most plumbing
and all electrical suppliers.

http://www.unistrut.us/

That'll do! I have some around here somewhere, I just need to remember
what I built....Hmmm.

Oh, so we changed the rules, huh? :)

12 ga is a fair cry short of the 1/8" thickness you gave as a criterion

That's ok, unistrut is certainly far more widely available and cheaper
if it'll do than a "real" 1/8" rolled channel...

Tom Gardner[_22_] March 24th 12 08:21 PM

wrote:
I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with
1" or so leg length by 1/8" thick steel ...

have you considered Unistrut?

Available is a small variety of shapes and colours from most plumbing
and all electrical suppliers.

http://www.unistrut.us/

That'll do! I have some around here somewhere, I just need to remember
what I built....Hmmm.

Oh, so we changed the rules, huh? :)

12 ga is a fair cry short of the 1/8" thickness you gave as a criterion

That's ok, unistrut is certainly far more widely available and cheaper
if it'll do than a "real" 1/8" rolled channel...

I thought fractional sizes would be more standard than sheet metal gauges
but gauges make more sense. The part will be subject to about 25 lbs with
the force from the inside out.