Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old March 14th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,099
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligence bot?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:38:38 -0500, Ignoramus32673
wrote:

The Turing Test is defined as to whether a human, talking to a robot
blindly, can tell if this is a robot or a person, correctly.

What the definition somewhat hides is how smart is the human tester
is.

I have an "artificial intelligence talking robot" called Splotchy, on
my website algebra.com.

http://www.algebra.com/cgi-bin/chat.mpl

This robot is dumb as a pile of bricks, has no memory of what was said
in the past, but has a lot of clever grammatical rules how to respond
to typical sentences. Lots of funny stuff, jokes, proper responses to
insults etc are defined.

Anyway, when I look at the chat logs, I see that many people talking
to it are convinced that this is not a robot, but a real person
talking to them, who only pretends to be a robot. They would say
something like "you liar, you are not a robot, you are a real person
and an asshole at that, **** you".

The point is, this robot is quite stupid, but is enough to convince
SOME people that it is not a robot. (to anyone with half a brain, it
is obvious that it is a robot, if not only because the responses
appear a lot faster than a human could type them)

i

I told the robot the that the anwers it gave were non-sequiturs and it
replied "By the way, can you hear my voice?" So I guess it was still
replying the same way.
Eric

  #12   Report Post  
Old March 14th 12, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,596
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 3/14/2012 9:29 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:38:38 -0500, Ignoramus32673
wrote:

The Turing Test is defined as to whether a human, talking to a robot
blindly, can tell if this is a robot or a person, correctly.

What the definition somewhat hides is how smart is the human tester
is.

I have an "artificial intelligence talking robot" called Splotchy, on
my website algebra.com.

http://www.algebra.com/cgi-bin/chat.mpl

This robot is dumb as a pile of bricks, has no memory of what was said
in the past, but has a lot of clever grammatical rules how to respond
to typical sentences. Lots of funny stuff, jokes, proper responses to
insults etc are defined.

Anyway, when I look at the chat logs, I see that many people talking
to it are convinced that this is not a robot, but a real person
talking to them, who only pretends to be a robot. They would say
something like "you liar, you are not a robot, you are a real person
and an asshole at that, **** you".

The point is, this robot is quite stupid, but is enough to convince
SOME people that it is not a robot. (to anyone with half a brain, it
is obvious that it is a robot, if not only because the responses
appear a lot faster than a human could type them)

i

I told the robot the that the anwers it gave were non-sequiturs and it
replied "By the way, can you hear my voice?" So I guess it was still
replying the same way.
Eric



"I speak, therefor I am"?
  #13   Report Post  
Old March 15th 12, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 897
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligence bot?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:38:38 -0500, Ignoramus32673
wrote:

The Turing Test is defined as to whether a human, talking to a robot
blindly, can tell if this is a robot or a person, correctly.

What the definition somewhat hides is how smart is the human tester
is.

I have an "artificial intelligence talking robot" called Splotchy, on
my website algebra.com.

http://www.algebra.com/cgi-bin/chat.mpl

This robot is dumb as a pile of bricks, has no memory of what was said
in the past, but has a lot of clever grammatical rules how to respond
to typical sentences. Lots of funny stuff, jokes, proper responses to
insults etc are defined.

Anyway, when I look at the chat logs, I see that many people talking
to it are convinced that this is not a robot, but a real person
talking to them, who only pretends to be a robot. They would say
something like "you liar, you are not a robot, you are a real person
and an asshole at that, **** you".

The point is, this robot is quite stupid, but is enough to convince
SOME people that it is not a robot. (to anyone with half a brain, it
is obvious that it is a robot, if not only because the responses
appear a lot faster than a human could type them)

i


I asked the Robot "who are you" and he replied "I am the greatest
brick-layer in the world". I asked, "how much is one and one", he
replied "it is too much for you".

Strange. It sounds almost exactly like some of the threads on this
site :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
  #14   Report Post  
Old March 15th 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificialintelligence bot?

On 2012-03-15, John B wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:38:38 -0500, Ignoramus32673
wrote:

The Turing Test is defined as to whether a human, talking to a robot
blindly, can tell if this is a robot or a person, correctly.

What the definition somewhat hides is how smart is the human tester
is.

I have an "artificial intelligence talking robot" called Splotchy, on
my website algebra.com.

http://www.algebra.com/cgi-bin/chat.mpl

This robot is dumb as a pile of bricks, has no memory of what was said
in the past, but has a lot of clever grammatical rules how to respond
to typical sentences. Lots of funny stuff, jokes, proper responses to
insults etc are defined.

Anyway, when I look at the chat logs, I see that many people talking
to it are convinced that this is not a robot, but a real person
talking to them, who only pretends to be a robot. They would say
something like "you liar, you are not a robot, you are a real person
and an asshole at that, **** you".

The point is, this robot is quite stupid, but is enough to convince
SOME people that it is not a robot. (to anyone with half a brain, it
is obvious that it is a robot, if not only because the responses
appear a lot faster than a human could type them)

i


I asked the Robot "who are you" and he replied "I am the greatest
brick-layer in the world". I asked, "how much is one and one", he
replied "it is too much for you".

Strange. It sounds almost exactly like some of the threads on this
site :-)


This "robot" is just a collection of grammatical rules and associative
responses. This is actually how a lot of people carry on a
conversation, bouncing from topic to topic.

i
  #15   Report Post  
Old March 15th 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 753
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 3/13/2012 1:28 PM, Hawwke-ptooey wrote:


Nah, he's real. I can tell. He's one of those super egotistical guys
that thinks that because he has a college degree that he knows more than
anyone else. He is sadly mistaken, which is how I know he's
unfortunately for real.

Hawwke-ptooey


So by that statement, we also know that, as much as we might hope
otherwise, you too are real. Maybe more real since you make so much more
of your crumby sheepskin.

David


  #16   Report Post  
Old March 15th 12, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 974
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 3/13/2012 11:28 AM, Hawke wrote:
On 3/12/2012 1:51 PM, anorton wrote:
The real author, George Plimpton, once put out a criticism/challenge to
the AI community saying - regarding a chess-playing computer - that,
"The machine isn't going to walk out of the hotel there and start doing
extraordinary things. It can't manage a baseball team, can't tell you
what to do with a bad marriage"

The George Plimpton who has been posting copious off-topic stuff here
(what real person has time for that) has been infuriating folks of all
political stripes by ignoring the real gist of arguments, resorting to
insults when all else fails, and responding with occasional
non-sequitors. All of these are characteristics of the bots created to
try to pass the Turing test and win the Loebner prize. The last clue to
me though was his mistaking the thread about home scale steel production
as a political thread.



Nah, he's real. I can tell. He's one of those super egotistical guys
that thinks that because he has a college degree that he knows more than
anyone else.


Nope. I never talk about how much I know. Where you're concerned, I
talk about what you *don't* know - usually because you *can't* know it.
  #17   Report Post  
Old March 15th 12, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2008
Posts: 441
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligence bot?


"George Plimpton" wrote in message
...
On 3/13/2012 11:28 AM, Hawke wrote:
On 3/12/2012 1:51 PM, anorton wrote:
The real author, George Plimpton, once put out a criticism/challenge to
the AI community saying - regarding a chess-playing computer - that,
"The machine isn't going to walk out of the hotel there and start doing
extraordinary things. It can't manage a baseball team, can't tell you
what to do with a bad marriage"

The George Plimpton who has been posting copious off-topic stuff here
(what real person has time for that) has been infuriating folks of all
political stripes by ignoring the real gist of arguments, resorting to
insults when all else fails, and responding with occasional
non-sequitors. All of these are characteristics of the bots created to
try to pass the Turing test and win the Loebner prize. The last clue to
me though was his mistaking the thread about home scale steel production
as a political thread.



Nah, he's real. I can tell. He's one of those super egotistical guys
that thinks that because he has a college degree that he knows more than
anyone else.


Nope. I never talk about how much I know. Where you're concerned, I talk
about what you *don't* know - usually because you *can't* know it.


So, George, bots have a difficult time with simple math word problems. If
you can answer this one below, it might help clear things up. Avoiding a
direct answer pretty much means you are a machine.

Alice and Bob go on a forty mile road trip. Alice drives for 20 minutes and
then they take a five minute rest break after which Frank drives 20 minutes.
What was their average speed?

  #18   Report Post  
Old March 15th 12, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 974
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 3/14/2012 9:59 PM, anorton wrote:

"George Plimpton" wrote in message
...
On 3/13/2012 11:28 AM, Hawke wrote:
On 3/12/2012 1:51 PM, anorton wrote:
The real author, George Plimpton, once put out a criticism/challenge to
the AI community saying - regarding a chess-playing computer - that,
"The machine isn't going to walk out of the hotel there and start doing
extraordinary things. It can't manage a baseball team, can't tell you
what to do with a bad marriage"

The George Plimpton who has been posting copious off-topic stuff here
(what real person has time for that) has been infuriating folks of all
political stripes by ignoring the real gist of arguments, resorting to
insults when all else fails, and responding with occasional
non-sequitors. All of these are characteristics of the bots created to
try to pass the Turing test and win the Loebner prize. The last clue to
me though was his mistaking the thread about home scale steel
production
as a political thread.


Nah, he's real. I can tell. He's one of those super egotistical guys
that thinks that because he has a college degree that he knows more than
anyone else.


Nope. I never talk about how much I know. Where you're concerned, I
talk about what you *don't* know - usually because you *can't* know it.


So, George, bots have a difficult time with simple math word problems.
If you can answer this one below, it might help clear things up.
Avoiding a direct answer pretty much means you are a machine.

Alice and Bob go on a forty mile road trip. Alice drives for 20 minutes
and then they take a five minute rest break after which Frank drives 20
minutes. What was their average speed?


Can't say; speed involves two dimensions, distance and time, and you've
only given one. **** off with your stupid questions.

Try this one, ****wit. Guy intends to drive twice around a one mile
track, wants to average 60 mph. At conclusion of first lap, finds he
averaged 30 mph. How fast does he need to go on second lap so his
average for both is 60 mph?
  #19   Report Post  
Old March 15th 12, 07:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2008
Posts: 441
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligence bot?


"George Plimpton" wrote in message
...
On 3/14/2012 9:59 PM, anorton wrote:

"George Plimpton" wrote in message
...
On 3/13/2012 11:28 AM, Hawke wrote:
On 3/12/2012 1:51 PM, anorton wrote:
The real author, George Plimpton, once put out a criticism/challenge
to
the AI community saying - regarding a chess-playing computer - that,
"The machine isn't going to walk out of the hotel there and start
doing
extraordinary things. It can't manage a baseball team, can't tell you
what to do with a bad marriage"

The George Plimpton who has been posting copious off-topic stuff here
(what real person has time for that) has been infuriating folks of all
political stripes by ignoring the real gist of arguments, resorting to
insults when all else fails, and responding with occasional
non-sequitors. All of these are characteristics of the bots created to
try to pass the Turing test and win the Loebner prize. The last clue
to
me though was his mistaking the thread about home scale steel
production
as a political thread.


Nah, he's real. I can tell. He's one of those super egotistical guys
that thinks that because he has a college degree that he knows more
than
anyone else.

Nope. I never talk about how much I know. Where you're concerned, I
talk about what you *don't* know - usually because you *can't* know it.


So, George, bots have a difficult time with simple math word problems.
If you can answer this one below, it might help clear things up.
Avoiding a direct answer pretty much means you are a machine.

Alice and Bob go on a forty mile road trip. Alice drives for 20 minutes
and then they take a five minute rest break after which Frank drives 20
minutes. What was their average speed?


Can't say; speed involves two dimensions, distance and time, and you've
only given one. **** off with your stupid questions.


No, 40 mile trip, 40 minutes driving time, speed is 60 mph. I think this is
proof George is a bot. Interesting strategy, though, to avoid the test as
it could just say later that it did not read the problem carefully.


Try this one, ****wit. Guy intends to drive twice around a one mile
track, wants to average 60 mph. At conclusion of first lap, finds he
averaged 30 mph. How fast does he need to go on second lap so his average
for both is 60 mph?


What is the point of coming back with another math problem? Another likely
characteristic of a bot. It is interpreting this as some sort of contest or
challenge to do something particularly hard when the point was to do
something easy. Also notice when it starts to sense vulnerability it resorts
to invective.

(BTW answer to the problem is infinity).

  #20   Report Post  
Old March 15th 12, 08:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 974
Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 3/14/2012 11:37 PM, anorton wrote:

"George Plimpton" wrote in message
...
On 3/14/2012 9:59 PM, anorton wrote:

"George Plimpton" wrote in message
...
On 3/13/2012 11:28 AM, Hawke wrote:
On 3/12/2012 1:51 PM, anorton wrote:
The real author, George Plimpton, once put out a
criticism/challenge to
the AI community saying - regarding a chess-playing computer - that,
"The machine isn't going to walk out of the hotel there and start
doing
extraordinary things. It can't manage a baseball team, can't tell you
what to do with a bad marriage"

The George Plimpton who has been posting copious off-topic stuff here
(what real person has time for that) has been infuriating folks of
all
political stripes by ignoring the real gist of arguments,
resorting to
insults when all else fails, and responding with occasional
non-sequitors. All of these are characteristics of the bots
created to
try to pass the Turing test and win the Loebner prize. The last
clue to
me though was his mistaking the thread about home scale steel
production
as a political thread.


Nah, he's real. I can tell. He's one of those super egotistical guys
that thinks that because he has a college degree that he knows more
than
anyone else.

Nope. I never talk about how much I know. Where you're concerned, I
talk about what you *don't* know - usually because you *can't* know it.

So, George, bots have a difficult time with simple math word problems.
If you can answer this one below, it might help clear things up.
Avoiding a direct answer pretty much means you are a machine.

Alice and Bob go on a forty mile road trip. Alice drives for 20 minutes
and then they take a five minute rest break after which Frank drives 20
minutes. What was their average speed?


Can't say; speed involves two dimensions, distance and time, and
you've only given one. **** off with your stupid questions.


No, 40 mile trip, 40 minutes driving time, speed is 60 mph.


Nope - sorry, ****bag, nowhere did you say "speed is 60 mph." Look
again, cocksucker. Here's what you wrote:

Alice and Bob go on a forty mile road trip. Alice drives for 20
minutes and then they take a five minute rest break after which
Frank drives 20 minutes. What was their average speed?

Nothing about 60 mph, ****head. You lied. I knew you would lie.

In order to know the speed, ****head, you need to know the distance
covered over the 40 minutes of driving. You didn't specify it. You
****ed up. You always **** up.


I think this
is proof George is a bot. Interesting strategy, though, to avoid the
test as it could just say later that it did not read the problem carefully.


Try this one, ****wit. Guy intends to drive twice around a one mile
track, wants to average 60 mph. At conclusion of first lap, finds he
averaged 30 mph. How fast does he need to go on second lap so his
average for both is 60 mph?


What is the point of coming back with another math problem? [pointless blabber]


Why don't you just *say* that you don't know?


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When a new generation of artificial intelligence "auto-repairable" machines? gaetanomarano Home Repair 3 September 23rd 07 01:37 AM
Artificial Grass Torrey Hills Home Repair 2 August 20th 07 07:51 AM
Limited Intelligence Lew Hodgett Woodworking 0 August 16th 06 05:11 AM
[OT] Un-Intelligence - Dodgy disclosures from a former CIA officer Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 35 February 20th 06 10:58 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017