Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

On 2012-02-21, Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

SNIP
Yes -- and you need a long travel arbor press (or something
else) to drive the broach. And care to make sure that the driving force
is on axis so you don't bend and snap the broach. (Better are the draw
type, but they require a different style of driver -- ideally hydraulic,
I believe.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Gretings DoN,
Regarding broaching using an arbor press, I have broached uncounted
keyways using arbor presses. Even with a good one it's possible for
the broach to start cutting at an angle. The method that has worked
best for me over the years is to start the broach, relieve the

[ ... ]

Is that using the guide bushings and shims that come in keyway broach
sets?

While I was talking about hex and square broaches, and the
bushing which I was talking about was one to hold the top end of the
broach close to on center, it also applies with keyway broaches, where
you have two bushings -- the guide bushing with the shims, and the
centering bushing on the end of the arbor press's ram. etmp was talking
about keyways apparently, I was covering it all. (BTW -- The shims are
to keep the keyway broach from needing to be two or three times as long. :-)

And the keyway broach has more meat so it does not bow as much
as a hex or square one of similar cutting area.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Don, how are double-D holes made?

Greenlee makes, or made a double D punch to cut holes for standard
duplex outlets. They also had a 1/2" D punch for fuseholders.

Yes -- I have one of the latter -- along with a 15/32" keyed one
for toggle switch mounting.

[ ... ]

I had both, and about another dozen stolen from my shop. It would
cost about $1500 to replace them today. One of them was $541 the last
time I had the nerve to look.

Ouch! That hurts. Was the $541.00 one the one for punching a
cutout for a DB-25 connector by any chance? That was the most expensive
that I bought new. (Though the big ones for industrial conduit sizes
tend to be sickeningly expensive these days. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Don, how are double-D holes made?

Greenlee makes, or made a double D punch to cut holes for standard
duplex outlets. They also had a 1/2" D punch for fuseholders.

Yes -- I have one of the latter -- along with a 15/32" keyed one
for toggle switch mounting.

[ ... ]

I had both, and about another dozen stolen from my shop. It would
cost about $1500 to replace them today. One of them was $541 the last
time I had the nerve to look.

Ouch! That hurts. Was the $541.00 one the one for punching a
cutout for a DB-25 connector by any chance? That was the most expensive
that I bought new. (Though the big ones for industrial conduit sizes
tend to be sickeningly expensive these days. :-)

It was a rectangular relay socket punch. I think it was for the P&B
KHP series, but I bought it almost 40 years ago. I balked at the $37.50
price at that time, when most of the other punches were in the $8
range. The meter punch I bought was about the same price, but it was
used more than the relay punch. I also added the bearing drive screws
to all the larger punches, and they weren't cheap, either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-21, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

There are a lot of gears & other metal parts needed to repair HP &
Tektronix that are NLA. It could make a good side business for someone
with better & more tools than I have right now.

Something to consider. Depends on how the making of the
double-D broach goes.

Interesting that of the gears in that Tek plugin, the one that
failed was a plain spur gear, and most of the others (which are still
available) were either bevel gears, or combination bevel and spur gears.
The only still available spur gear is the long one.

I know the owner of one cal lab, and a guy that buys and resells test
equipment with an industriaal building full. I'll give you their
information if you are able to make the parts.

I left Ohio in the mid 80s and made many trips to the Dayton Hamfest
prior to that. It was great, till the last couple years. The motto
was, 'If you can't find it at Dayton, you can't find it anywhere!'

I've always wanted to go there, but never made it.

It was about an hour from my house, but even then I couldn't go every
year.

The only Sun computer I have, came from a dumpster. A dead Ultra 10.
A lot of bad electrolytics on the motherboard. It's still sitting out
in themain shop, waiting for me to be able to clear off the bench &
repair it.

O.K. The Ultra-10 is one of two which are of the level of
construction of a fairly good PC. (The Ultra-5 is horizontal, the
Ultra-10 is vertical (tower) format, and both use the same system
(mother) board. One difference is that the Ultra-10 has room for the
fancy Sun UPA graphics cards (like the Creator-3D) and the Ultra-5 does
not. Both use IDE disk drives -- up to 120 GB IIRC, thanks to a limit
in the controller chip that they used.

A *lot* of bad electrolytics suggests that it was during the
time of the pirated electrolyte formula.

If you want to see what the high-end Sun workstations look like,
take a look in a Sun Blade 2000 (or a 1000 for that matter.) The
Ultra-60 is also really good, but not as fast. For about the speed of
the top end of the Ultra-10 line (they came with several different CPU
speeds), but a 1U rack mount chassis, and only one PCI slot.) These are
the Sunfire-V120 machines. Two internal SCA hard drives, a (usually)
built-in CD-ROM or DVD-ROM reader.

If you get into the Sun machines, this site will be useful. It
is an online version of the last FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook), which
used to be available in dead-tree format.

http://www.sunshack.org/data/sh/2.1.8/infoserver.central/data/syshbk/index.html

Scroll down to the EOL systems, and click on the Ultra-10 to find out
lots of details about the system and what it can work with. (Note, you
won't find schematics of *any* of the machines anywhere.) :-(

Go visit the Sun Blade 2000, and click on the side view to see
what a really nice tower system looks like. The Sun Blade 1000/2000 use
the same system board and CPUS as the Sun Fire 280R (another rack mount
system). All of these systems use (by default) Fibre Channel drives,
and you can hand up to 125 drives on one controller.

You will find the V120 under "entry level servers". It has,
aside from the two internal SCA disk drives, an external UltraSCSI
connector, *two* built-in 100BaseT ethernet ports, a general serial port
and one which is also the LOM (Lights Out Management) one which allows
you to talk to the system, power it down, and reboot it from whatever
distance is comfortable. It also has two USB ports. You normally only
talk to it through the LOM port, when it boots, it switches that port to
talk to the OS instead of the LOM hardware -- unless you type a '#'
followed by a '.'.

Since it is made to co-exist with many others (I have six taking
up a small part of a relay rack here) it has aside from a green power LED,
also an orange "Fault" LED -- both on the front and the back. You can
turn the fault off and on from the LOM.

You used to be able to download Solaris 10 from Sun for free, as
long as you did not want to have support. Since Oracle took over,
things are a bit tighter, but it looks like I can get Solaris 11
from OpenSolaris (which is owned by Oracle).

You can install a framebuffer (Unix name for a graphics card) in
the one PCI slot, and plug in a keyboard, and it acts like a
workstation. Or -- you can plug in a PCI card which will host one, two
or four more UltraSCSI slots and turn it into a server with up to 62
disks (counting the two built-in).

There are two flavors of V120. One with a power line provided
power (standard AC cord), or one with two DC connectors, intended to be
used by the telephone company, and powered from the giant batteries that
they run from.

Thanks. I've only seen two Sun computers in this area, but who knows
what will turn up?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 22 Feb 2012 03:38:52 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2012-02-21, wrote:
SNIP
Yes -- and you need a long travel arbor press (or something
else) to drive the broach. And care to make sure that the driving force
is on axis so you don't bend and snap the broach. (Better are the draw
type, but they require a different style of driver -- ideally hydraulic,
I believe.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Gretings DoN,
Regarding broaching using an arbor press, I have broached uncounted
keyways using arbor presses. Even with a good one it's possible for
the broach to start cutting at an angle. The method that has worked
best for me over the years is to start the broach, relieve the
pressure on the broach to let it spring back if it wants to, start
pushing on it again, relieve the pressure again, and the broach all
the way through.

Yes -- I've done the relax and let spring back as well. A good
approach.

Unless it's a long broach. Then I might repeat the
process a few more times. Most of the time the broach will not spring
back into the guide bushing a noticeable amount, but sometimes it will
and thats when you know you just avoided a scrapped part or a broken
broach.

And -- you may have to do it up to three times with some keyway
broaches with two shims needed. Real fun when you add a 3"+ hub to
broach, even in nice 12L14 free-machining steel. :-) At least the
outside keyway on that hub (actually a hub adaptor) could be done on the
horizontal mill itself before I pulled off the old pulleys.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I used to broach 3/8 keyways in steel and cast iron. On the big arbor
press I had to hang on the handle to force the broach through. Three
passes. I could have used the 40 ton air over hydraulic press but it
was too fast and might have broken a broach. Besides, I was young and
didn't really mind hanging from the press handle like a monkey.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-21, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

There are a lot of gears & other metal parts needed to repair HP &
Tektronix that are NLA. It could make a good side business for someone
with better & more tools than I have right now.

Something to consider. Depends on how the making of the
double-D broach goes.

Interesting that of the gears in that Tek plugin, the one that
failed was a plain spur gear, and most of the others (which are still
available) were either bevel gears, or combination bevel and spur gears.
The only still available spur gear is the long one.

I know the owner of one cal lab, and a guy that buys and resells test
equipment with an industriaal building full. I'll give you their
information if you are able to make the parts.

The only one that I currently *know* that I can make is that
gear at the switch end, and so far I need the old hub to mount it on.

I *know* that I can't make the bevel gears, or the mixed
bevel/spur gears which are in that assembly. Those really need to be
cast/molded.

I should be able to make the long spur gear, but is is highly
unlikey to fail in my opinion.

[ ... ]

I've always wanted to go there, but never made it.

It was about an hour from my house, but even then I couldn't go every
year.

At a half hour, I would not be able to resist. :-) However, from
Northern VA, it is a bit far, especially back when I was expected at
work after the weekend. :-)

[ ... ]

If you get into the Sun machines, this site will be useful. It
is an online version of the last FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook), which
used to be available in dead-tree format.

http://www.sunshack.org/data/sh/2.1.8/infoserver.central/data/syshbk/index.html

Thanks. I've only seen two Sun computers in this area, but who knows
what will turn up?

While I have ten of them of various ages running in this room
alone. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-21, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

I had both, and about another dozen stolen from my shop. It would
cost about $1500 to replace them today. One of them was $541 the last
time I had the nerve to look.

Ouch! That hurts. Was the $541.00 one the one for punching a
cutout for a DB-25 connector by any chance? That was the most expensive
that I bought new. (Though the big ones for industrial conduit sizes
tend to be sickeningly expensive these days. :-)

It was a rectangular relay socket punch. I think it was for the P&B
KHP series, but I bought it almost 40 years ago.

That makes a big difference. Yes, it is the P&B -- the only
rectangular one which I know that they made. Several sizes of square,
however.

The price is really insane these days. It is perhaps almost
high enough so you might as well get a DiAcro turret press and the dies
for that. :-)

I balked at the $37.50
price at that time, when most of the other punches were in the $8
range. The meter punch I bought was about the same price,

Round, or rectangular?

but it was
used more than the relay punch. I also added the bearing drive screws
to all the larger punches, and they weren't cheap, either.

Yes, they make life a lot easier. These days, they have
hydraulic drivers for them -- if you have the money.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-21, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

There are some simple flat gears, like used in their signal
generators to drive the variable capacitors. someone on the antique
radio newsgroup is looking for a gear for the HP 606.

I've always wanted to go there, but never made it.

It was about an hour from my house, but even then I couldn't go every
year.

At a half hour, I would not be able to resist. :-) However, from
Northern VA, it is a bit far, especially back when I was expected at
work after the weekend. :-)

That week was always vacation time.

Thanks. I've only seen two Sun computers in this area, but who knows
what will turn up?

While I have ten of them of various ages running in this room
alone. :-)

I only have eight computers in my bedroom right now. The rest are
off, to keep from having to run the A/C today. They can make this 10' *
10' room quite warm. It is supposed to be a child's bedroom, but it is
right newt to the bathroom, and I am very uusteady when i first wake up,
so the larger bedrooms are used for storage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-21, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

The punch was round, but large for the old industrial & military
style meters. It also allowed surface mounting of some rectangular
meters.

but it was
used more than the relay punch. I also added the bearing drive screws
to all the larger punches, and they weren't cheap, either.

Yes, they make life a lot easier. These days, they have
hydraulic drivers for them -- if you have the money.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-23, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Round, or rectangular?

The punch was round, but large for the old industrial & military
style meters. It also allowed surface mounting of some rectangular
meters.

Yes, I am familiar with those. Also the "knockout" punches for
conduit sizes, which are mis-marked if you want a specific hole
diameter, instead of a hole to fit a given size of conduit. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-22, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

I know the owner of one cal lab, and a guy that buys and resells test
equipment with an industriaal building full. I'll give you their
information if you are able to make the parts.

The only one that I currently *know* that I can make is that
gear at the switch end, and so far I need the old hub to mount it on.

I *know* that I can't make the bevel gears, or the mixed
bevel/spur gears which are in that assembly. Those really need to be
cast/molded.

I should be able to make the long spur gear, but is is highly
unlikely to fail in my opinion.

There are some simple flat gears, like used in their signal
generators to drive the variable capacitors. someone on the antique
radio newsgroup is looking for a gear for the HP 606.

Hmm ... probably I would have to purchase more gear cutters.
They tend to be rather expensive these days, and I had to purchase one
for the Tek gears. 32 DP, 20 degree PA of the proper size for a 20
tooth gear. This can add up if I have to keep buying those.

[ ... ]

It was about an hour from my house, but even then I couldn't go every
year.

At a half hour, I would not be able to resist. :-) However, from
Northern VA, it is a bit far, especially back when I was expected at
work after the weekend. :-)

That week was always vacation time.

I couldn't afford to take that as vacation. I never had that
much saved up at a time. :-)

Thanks. I've only seen two Sun computers in this area, but who knows
what will turn up?

While I have ten of them of various ages running in this room
alone. :-)

I only have eight computers in my bedroom right now. The rest are
off, to keep from having to run the A/C today. They can make this 10' *
10' room quite warm. It is supposed to be a child's bedroom, but it is
right newt to the bathroom, and I am very uusteady when i first wake up,
so the larger bedrooms are used for storage.

This is a larger room, of course, and in practice is our living
room. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-23, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Round, or rectangular?

The punch was round, but large for the old industrial & military
style meters. It also allowed surface mounting of some rectangular
meters.

Yes, I am familiar with those. Also the "knockout" punches for
conduit sizes, which are mis-marked if you want a specific hole
diameter, instead of a hole to fit a given size of conduit. :-)

Do you expect wire pullers to remember the actual hole sizes? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

There are some simple flat gears, like used in their signal
generators to drive the variable capacitors. someone on the antique
radio newsgroup is looking for a gear for the HP 606.

Hmm ... probably I would have to purchase more gear cutters.
They tend to be rather expensive these days, and I had to purchase one
for the Tek gears. 32 DP, 20 degree PA of the proper size for a 20
tooth gear. This can add up if I have to keep buying those.

Only you could decide if it was worth it, but I would think they
would be a lot of similar gears that would use the same tooling. They
built whiole series of equipment on similar chassis, after all. You
could look at some of the manuals on the Agilent website to get an idea
what they look like, if you're really interested. Agileent is the name
of the former HP test equipment division, for those who don't know. The
site is broken into chemical and test equipment.

That week was always vacation time.

I couldn't afford to take that as vacation. I never had that
much saved up at a time. :-)

I only had a week or two each year, and I made it a condition of
emplyment that I could get that week off, every year.

I only have eight computers in my bedroom right now. The rest are
off, to keep from having to run the A/C today. They can make this 10' *
10' room quite warm. It is supposed to be a child's bedroom, but it is
right newt to the bathroom, and I am very uusteady when i first wake up,
so the larger bedrooms are used for storage.

This is a larger room, of course, and in practice is our living
room. :-)

That's where I work on computers, when I feel well enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 23 Feb 2012
01:27:45 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Thanks. I've only seen two Sun computers in this area, but who knows
what will turn up?

While I have ten of them of various ages running in this room
alone. :-)

I only have eight computers in my bedroom right now. The rest are
off, to keep from having to run the A/C today.

As a friend says "If you have to turn up the heat, you're not
using enough computers."

They can make this 10' *
10' room quite warm. It is supposed to be a child's bedroom, but it is
right newt to the bathroom, and I am very uusteady when i first wake up,
so the larger bedrooms are used for storage.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 23 Feb 2012
01:27:45 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Thanks. I've only seen two Sun computers in this area, but who knows
what will turn up?

While I have ten of them of various ages running in this room
alone. :-)

I only have eight computers in my bedroom right now. The rest are
off, to keep from having to run the A/C today.

As a friend says "If you have to turn up the heat, you're not
using enough computers."

Then he doesn't live in Central Florida.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

The photos/drawings would show me what they *look* like, but
they likely would not show the diametric pitch nor the pressure angle.
(And they might be "module" (metric) gears as well.)

As for the manual for the Tek plugin, it only showed the
assembly with the gears as an outline drawing of gearbox (covered),
Veeder-Root counter, switch and 10-turn pot as a complete assembly. No
drawing of what the gears even looked like under the covers.

And yes, I know that Aligent took over the HP test equipment
line.

That week was always vacation time.

I couldn't afford to take that as vacation. I never had that
much saved up at a time. :-)

I only had a week or two each year, and I made it a condition of
emplyment that I could get that week off, every year.

I worked for a US Army R&D lab, and they did not accept such
conditions -- especially since I did not even know about that hamfest
when I hired on with them. :-)

I considered that I was enough ahead of the game vs the GIs in
that if the rules got to be too much of a problem, I could quit and go
to work for industry instead. That made enough difference so I stuck it
out until retirement. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

Only you could decide if it was worth it, but I would think they
would be a lot of similar gears that would use the same tooling. They
built whiole series of equipment on similar chassis, after all. You
could look at some of the manuals on the Agilent website to get an idea
what they look like, if you're really interested. Agileent is the name
of the former HP test equipment division, for those who don't know. The
site is broken into chemical and test equipment.

Coming back to answer one other part after sending off the main
answer.

I remember at least one product which I could not make the
mechanical parts for with my current equipment. This was an audio
oscillator -- little modular one, not to be confused with the old
tube-driven ones which took up four times the volume. The dial was
coupled to a pot by a pair of spirals with dial cord wrapped around and
under tension in both directions, so you got a linear scale on the
frequency. dial

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 23 Feb 2012
23:28:18 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 23 Feb 2012
01:27:45 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Thanks. I've only seen two Sun computers in this area, but who knows
what will turn up?

While I have ten of them of various ages running in this room
alone. :-)

I only have eight computers in my bedroom right now. The rest are
off, to keep from having to run the A/C today.

As a friend says "If you have to turn up the heat, you're not
using enough computers."

Then he doesn't live in Central Florida.

Palo Alto, California.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

I know that. What I meant was that you could see what styles you
could do.

As for the manual for the Tek plugin, it only showed the
assembly with the gears as an outline drawing of gearbox (covered),
Veeder-Root counter, switch and 10-turn pot as a complete assembly. No
drawing of what the gears even looked like under the covers.

At one time Tektronix would provide engineering drawings for obsolete
parts. There was a guy in Orlando making HV transformers for the tube &
hybrid scopes about 15 years ago. He requested the drawings and
suppliers for the core & bobbins and built a winding machine.

And yes, I know that Aligent took over the HP test equipment
line.

That wasn't aimed at you. It was for someone who might be lurking, or
who might stumble across the tread later on.

I couldn't afford to take that as vacation. I never had that
much saved up at a time. :-)

I only had a week or two each year, and I made it a condition of
employment that I could get that week off, every year.

I worked for a US Army R&D lab, and they did not accept such
conditions -- especially since I did not even know about that hamfest
when I hired on with them. :-)

I worked for mostly small companies back then, and one place the
owner was a ham so he knew the reasons.

I considered that I was enough ahead of the game vs the GIs in
that if the rules got to be too much of a problem, I could quit and go
to work for industry instead. That made enough difference so I stuck it
out until retirement. :-)

I stuck out the US Army till my commitment ended.

I did turn down a civil service job in LA (Lower Alabama) that was
offered while I was stationed there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

They use DDS these days. You program the frequency, wave shape &
output level into a tiny IC. Analog Devices make several of the DDS
ICs. You can buy a complete demo board on Ebay for under $10, and drive
it from the parallel port on a Windows computer with a couple 74HCT574
ICs.

Wavetek was really bad for mechanical designs, and always had too
much backlash for the work I did. I had the HP 3325B digital function
generator, while everyone else in test had Waveteks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

As a friend says "If you have to turn up the heat, you're not
using enough computers."

Then he doesn't live in Central Florida.

Palo Alto, California.

Not familiar with that area, but it's supposed to hit 80 here today.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

Only you could decide if it was worth it, but I would think they
would be a lot of similar gears that would use the same tooling. They
built whiole series of equipment on similar chassis, after all. You
could look at some of the manuals on the Agilent website to get an idea
what they look like, if you're really interested. Agileent is the name
of the former HP test equipment division, for those who don't know. The
site is broken into chemical and test equipment.

The photos/drawings would show me what they *look* like, but
they likely would not show the diametric pitch nor the pressure angle.
(And they might be "module" (metric) gears as well.)

I know that. What I meant was that you could see what styles you
could do.

You know -- with the plastic gears, I think that would be a job
for someone with one of those 3-D printers. If the resolution is good
enough, they could even make the two-part bevel/spur gear, which I could
not with my equipment.

As for the manual for the Tek plugin, it only showed the
assembly with the gears as an outline drawing of gearbox (covered),
Veeder-Root counter, switch and 10-turn pot as a complete assembly. No
drawing of what the gears even looked like under the covers.

At one time Tektronix would provide engineering drawings for obsolete
parts. There was a guy in Orlando making HV transformers for the tube &
hybrid scopes about 15 years ago. He requested the drawings and
suppliers for the core & bobbins and built a winding machine.

Hmm ... that would have been nice -- but I did not know that it
was a possibility, so I just plunged ahead with what I could make. :-)

And yes, I know that Aligent took over the HP test equipment
line.

That wasn't aimed at you. It was for someone who might be lurking, or
who might stumble across the tread later on.

O.K. Good thinking.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Would they have thr required strength? There are some people on the
antique radio newsgroup molding replacment grommets & knobs. Some had
molded replacment plastic gears by making two impressions and replacing
the damaged section in one mold.

At one time Tektronix would provide engineering drawings for obsolete
parts. There was a guy in Orlando making HV transformers for the tube &
hybrid scopes about 15 years ago. He requested the drawings and
suppliers for the core & bobbins and built a winding machine.

Hmm ... that would have been nice -- but I did not know that it
was a possibility, so I just plunged ahead with what I could make. :-)

Hopefully, you won't need another.

And yes, I know that Aligent took over the HP test equipment line.

That wasn't aimed at you. It was for someone who might be lurking, or
who might stumble across the tread later on.

O.K. Good thinking.

Take care.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

You know -- with the plastic gears, I think that would be a job
for someone with one of those 3-D printers. If the resolution is good
enough, they could even make the two-part bevel/spur gear, which I could
not with my equipment.

Would they have thr required strength? There are some people on the
antique radio newsgroup molding replacment grommets & knobs. Some had
molded replacment plastic gears by making two impressions and replacing
the damaged section in one mold.

I really don't know. I suspect that it depends on what plastic
is is capable of using. I have heard recently a mention (no URLs,
sorry) of some using carbon filament as the plastic.

I personally would not have thought that the plastic which
Tektronix used for that gear was strong enough to start with.

And given that I have looked at others of the same model of
plugin at hamfests, and told by the feel of the coarse knob that the
same gear was broken on those, that there was a pattern of failures.

And a later model with the same plugin number replaced the
Veeder-Root readout with a LED numeric readout.

At one time Tektronix would provide engineering drawings for obsolete
parts. There was a guy in Orlando making HV transformers for the tube &
hybrid scopes about 15 years ago. He requested the drawings and
suppliers for the core & bobbins and built a winding machine.

Hmm ... that would have been nice -- but I did not know that it
was a possibility, so I just plunged ahead with what I could make. :-)

Hopefully, you won't need another.

Unless someone gives me another failed plugin at a hamfest. :-)

Hamfest tomorrow. Not a very big one these days, but it is
fairly close. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 24 Feb 2012
09:15:43 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

As a friend says "If you have to turn up the heat, you're not
using enough computers."

Then he doesn't live in Central Florida.

Palo Alto, California.

Not familiar with that area, but it's supposed to hit 80 here today.

Well, I hit seventy today. Of course, that was on the freeway. I
think the temps maxed out for the day around 46 degrees.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
?
? Would they have thr required strength? There are some people on the
? antique radio newsgroup molding replacment grommets ? knobs. Some had
? molded replacment plastic gears by making two impressions and replacing
? the damaged section in one mold.

I really don't know. I suspect that it depends on what plastic
is is capable of using. I have heard recently a mention (no URLs,
sorry) of some using carbon filament as the plastic.

I personally would not have thought that the plastic which
Tektronix used for that gear was strong enough to start with.

I think it was degraded ofver the years from heat and chemicals. I've
had some knobs crumble in my hands, while others that were used less
often were fine

And a later model with the same plugin number replaced the
Veeder-Root readout with a LED numeric readout.

Probably when it was cheaper to build than the mecanical version.

? Hopefully, you won't need another.

Unless someone gives me another failed plugin at a hamfest. :-)

Hamfest tomorrow. Not a very big one these days, but it is
fairly close. :-)

Don't buy too many white elephants, unless you have plenty of gray
paint on hand. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
?Not familiar with that area, but it's supposed to hit 80 here today.
?

Well, I hit seventy today. Of course, that was on the freeway.
I think the temps maxed out for the day around 46 degrees.

It was 44 in Ocala last night, and I'm not talking about a highway.
That would have been 40, or 27. maybe even 25.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

It was 44 in Ocala last night, and I'm not talking about a highway.
That would have been 40, or 27. maybe even 25.

I didn't know you were in Ocala!

Hell! I'm just 40 miles due east of you.

(Cody's Corner)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? fired this volley in
m:

?
? It was 44 in Ocala last night, and I'm not talking about a highway.
? That would have been 40, or 27. maybe even 25.

I didn't know you were in Ocala!

Hell! I'm just 40 miles due east of you.

(Cody's Corner)

I'm a few miles south of Ocala, but have an Ocala mailing address.
I'd pay a visit, but need to get someone to work on my truck, first. I
can no longer do some of the work by myself. It's going to be
expensive. I have a bad water pump, bad power steering pump, a bad
overpressure sensor in the transmission, and a bad A/C compressor. I
could probably buy something else for the cost to repair this, but I'd
be buying more problems.

Hhy 35 to 40 to 11. I have to make more turns to get to 441 than I'd
have to after I hit 35.

Google maps says it's 71.5 miles if I use 441 to 40 to 11 to 304 and
66.5 miles if I use some other roads.

My Email address is good if you ever want to discuss anything
offline. Do you ever hit the new & scrap metal dealers in Marion County
for supplies?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
:

66.5 miles if I use some other roads.

Yeah... I mentally cheat a little. It's 45 miles from 11 to the city
limits, but there's a lot of Ocala past there.

I haven't dealt with the metals dealers there, because I've got two in
Bunnell who can get full-length stock in two days. However, I have bought
some machines and trailers there and in the surrounds.

Lloyd