Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing broken hitch ball : Epilog

"Winston" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Where else do you install hitch balls?

Plus, they make dandy Christmas tree decorations for
'heavy metal' aficionados.
--Winston

Sounds like the Gothic-horror themed Xmas tree from college. Seems some city
kids don't know about the thistle plant, the national emblem of Scotland.
Not good to lean against.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 7, 12:11*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Winston wrote:
wrote:

(...)

Another use for the (tiny) screwdriver - works well if it is the
traditional shape - do the whole batch of disks and be done with it
till you buy another batch.

Upthread, I mentioned that I normally have multiple arbors
with discs attached so that I can swap discs quickly
when I'm in the middle of a project. That works a treat!

This Just In! *I used a loose drill chuck just now as
a pin vise to grasp the head of the arbor screw.

Now I can thread the cutting discs on to the screw
quickly and easily.

That made my day!

--Winston

I tend to load my discs by laying them on a chunk of wood that has a
small hole in it. Set disc over hole, push screw through slide arbor up
through hole from other side to catch screw and tighten down a bit.

I also have saw blades, diamond wheels and sanding discs all loaded up
as well.When I buy new stuff I usually buy kits so I get some extra
arbors for buffing/sanding drums/wheels.
One thing I have found with the cutting discs is that if you install a
small O-ring or rubber washer on each side they don't break as easily.

--
Steve W.- Hide quoted text -

The good mandrels come that way, with a cushion washer or two. Also
are a close fit on the cutoff disks without needing a whole lot of
persuasion to go through the hole. If they don't have a washer, the
hole in the disk wallows out, eventually the screw wears at that point
and the mandrel becomes useless as well as busting a lot of disks. So
be careful with cut-rate mandrels. The ones that usually come with
the HF all-up hand grinder accessory sets seem to last OK. I was
buying those for like $8 for a 100+ piece set at one time, they want a
lot more now. Each had a pile of cutoff wheels plus several mandrels
for same as well as a lot of lesser used pieces. They all worked fine
with the mini-die grinders. Usually have several of those rigged up
at any one time to save time when changing grinding points. A whole
lot faster setting one down and picking up another rather than digging
out the collet wrenches.

Tip:
Punch a hole in each wrench and string some beaded chain between, then
you'll have an exact copy of what Foredom has for their collet
chucks. No more lost wrenches and they can be hung on a hook on the
bench.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:

(...)

I tend to load my discs by laying them on a chunk of wood that has a small hole in it. Set disc over hole, push screw
through slide arbor up through hole from other side to catch screw and tighten down a bit.

OIC. Now I know what Forstner bits are for.

No matter what method is used, I think it would be great to have
a recess-hex head on the arbor screw so that one could trap it
on the end of an Allen driver using one's finger nail.

These look to be an M1.8 x 0.35 TP.

I also have saw blades, diamond wheels and sanding discs all loaded up as well.When I buy new stuff I usually buy kits
so I get some extra arbors for buffing/sanding drums/wheels.
One thing I have found with the cutting discs is that if you install a small O-ring or rubber washer on each side they
don't break as easily.

Something like this, say?
http://www.unicorpinc.com/metric_ins...flat-_.082.htm

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:11:02 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Winston wrote:
wrote:

(...)

[...]

I have a couple of spark wheels from disposable lighters mounted on
mandrels (make certail to get the solid not the spiral wound ones, and
use the O ring from the jet for centering) to use as rotary files.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-06, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:10:33 +1100, John G
wrote:

After serious thinking Gunner Asch wrote :
On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 20:01:09 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

So, the cut off wheels did the job? Good to know. I've found Dremel cut off
wheels to be handy for many tasks, like this.

Just keep in mind there are (2) different kinds of cutoff whiles that
fit the dremel tools.

[ ... ]

They both have their place and it depends on your skill at doing fine
work.

What is the place for the incredibly fragile and break at a blink
wheels?

String cutting? As long as you dont put it down roughly?

How about if you want to cut an eggshell in half -- cleanly.
You obviously need some soft but steady support for the eggshell, and a
way to minimize shaking of your hand if you are hand holding the Dremel,
but with soft wrist support, and working seated at a workbench, you
should have enough control to do a clean job on the eggshell. Now the
remaining question is *why* do you want to cut an eggshell -- and that
is going to be your problem, but if I ever need to do that, I have the
tools. (Ideally, the flexible shaft version of the Dremel -- or even
better a Foredom drive and shaft, and an extra flexible handpiece to go
with it. (I use that for tuning concertina reeds among other things,
but with wheels about 1/8" thick or so. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Which way around, for cutting the eggshell in half? A Raw egg?!

The thin, small diameter disks aren't intended to be panel cutting discs..
the disk doesn't approach a large surface squarely, like a circular saw
blade generally does, for example.
Still, with a steady grip, one can make cuts in wide areas while maintaining
the pitch required.
The small disks, even when used with the Dremel 90 degree adapter still
don't have large enough diameter to cut perpendicularly in a large/wide
surface.

One fairly useful purpose I've found for the thin abrasive disks, is to cut
a clean slot in a stripped/deformed screw head to make removal possible with
a flat blade screwdriver, and if the screw head is recessed, the small disks
only cause minimal damage to the surrounding material.
When I've worn the small disks down to a smaller size, I leave them mounted
for uses where a fresh full sized disk wouldn't fit the application.

The dirt cheap diamond grit metal disks are great for a lot of cutting uses
too, and almost unbreakable (can't imagine how one would break them, but I
suppose it's possible).

A 1/16" or smaller veining cutter (ground cutting teeth not abrasive) works
very well in a Dremel with the router base accessory, for cutting out curvy
lines in acrylic sheet or other suitable materials.

The old Handee accessories included some unique drills, in that the cutting
section was ground as a very short "head" with 2 flutes like a regular drill
point end, with a thinner shank section behind it.. very well suited for
using with a small motor, low-powered tool.. less rubbing on the sides of a
hole.

I suppose the machines that grind the various types of miniature cutters
must be fascinating to see or watch in operation.

--
WB

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing broken hitch ball : Epilog end

Having procured a few 3/4-16 nuts from OSH (Thanks, Bruce!),
I've installed the HF hitch ball on my truck without issue.
I was 'way out on the handle of the knuckle-buster and gave
it a few really good reefs. The hardware tightened up and
stayed in place. It will be 'one with the truck' for a very
long time to come.
HF should buy OSH. They are a match made in Heaven.

--Winston--Now living happily ever after

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Plus, they make dandy Christmas tree decorations for
'heavy metal' aficionados.

It keeps cats from breaking ornaments, too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:11:02 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Winston wrote:
wrote:

(...)

[...]

Really? Ill have to try that. Ive got some tiny teensie little o rings
and Ill try that.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ive got about 3 Dremels,a very GOOD Ryobi in the truck, and 2 Foredoms
with flex shafts, plus a crappy B&D with flex shaft along with some
other ones I cant think of at the moment.
Ive got one my Dad bought in 1952, though I need to replace the cord one
of these days.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston on Mon, 06 Feb 2012 08:18:06 -0800
pyotr filipivich observed:
on Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:28:46 -0800

(...)

I had a truck bumper to brace against.

Often, one is not available.

Sound like you need a Portable Truck Bumper.

I wonder if ACME can supply those?

Yes. 4000 of them and the rest of the trucks as well!

http://www.acmetruck.com/about-acme-truck-lines.shtml

Hmm, good site. But the bumpers all seem to come attached to a
truck. Not very handy that, or portable.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

(...)

(http://www.acmetruck.com/about-acme-truck-lines.shtml)

Hmm, good site. But the bumpers all seem to come attached to a
truck. Not very handy that, or portable.

I feel that anything one attaches to a
truck becomes instantly more handy and portable.

Lately, I've use a truck to enhance the accessibility and
portability of these items:
Lumber
Steel
Slatwall
An oil furnace
Trailer hitch

I *am* willing to listen to reason, however.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:58:37 -0800, Winston
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

(...)

(http://www.acmetruck.com/about-acme-truck-lines.shtml)

Hmm, good site. But the bumpers all seem to come attached to a
truck. Not very handy that, or portable.

I feel that anything one attaches to a
truck becomes instantly more handy and portable.

Lately, I've use a truck to enhance the accessibility and
portability of these items:
Lumber
Steel
Slatwall
An oil furnace
Trailer hitch

Megadittoes, and add:

Machine tools
Woodworking tools
Truckloads of crap to give away to charities
Truckloads of scrap metal to turn into a trip to the hardwood store
Young lady's wardrobe (which turned into a nice, nice tip domg)

Ayup, truckses are handy li'l guys.

I *am* willing to listen to reason, however.

I don't know about that one, though.

P.S: Remember this mantra "No, my truck isn't for loan. My insurance
prohibits it, even if your insurance covers it. And I'm busy for the
next seventeen years. Ask me to help you move then." unless it's a
willing and supple feminine figure, then consider it. Beware the PTs.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

P.S: Remember this mantra "No, my truck isn't for loan. My insurance
prohibits it, even if your insurance covers it. And I'm busy for the
next seventeen years. Ask me to help you move then."

Bumper sticker I saw a few years ago:

"Yes, this is my pickup.
No, I won't help you move."

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

? P.S: Remember this mantra "No, my truck isn't for loan. My insurance
? prohibits it, even if your insurance covers it. And I'm busy for the
? next seventeen years. Ask me to help you move then."

Bumper sticker I saw a few years ago:

"Yes, this is my pickup.
No, I won't help you move."

Someone wanted to borrow my old stepvan to move a grand piano. The
steovan had a steel Union City body with the narrow hinged doors. He
said, "That's OK, well just take it in through the passenger door." No
way, and no thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

? P.S: Remember this mantra "No, my truck isn't for loan. My insurance
? prohibits it, even if your insurance covers it. And I'm busy for the
? next seventeen years. Ask me to help you move then."

Bumper sticker I saw a few years ago:

"Yes, this is my pickup.
No, I won't help you move."

Someone wanted to borrow my old stepvan to move a grand piano. The
steovan had a steel Union City body with the narrow hinged doors. He
said, "That's OK, well just take it in through the passenger door." No
way, and no thanks!

You can always spot the people who failed Geometry.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
? Winston wrote:
??
?? Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? (...)
??
?? ? P.S: Remember this mantra "No, my truck isn't for loan. My insurance
?? ? prohibits it, even if your insurance covers it. And I'm busy for the
?? ? next seventeen years. Ask me to help you move then."
??
?? Bumper sticker I saw a few years ago:
??
?? "Yes, this is my pickup.
?? No, I won't help you move."
?
?
? Someone wanted to borrow my old stepvan to move a grand piano. The
? steovan had a steel Union City body with the narrow hinged doors. He
? said, "That's OK, well just take it in through the passenger door." No
? way, and no thanks!

You can always spot the people who failed Geometry.

He was my high school's equipment manager for the football team. Do
I really need to say more?

The irony was that he went to work for the state of Ohio as a helper
on one of OHIO DOT's road survey crews.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:15:51 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Having procured a few 3/4-16 nuts from OSH (Thanks, Bruce!),
I've installed the HF hitch ball on my truck without issue.
I was 'way out on the handle of the knuckle-buster and gave
it a few really good reefs. The hardware tightened up and
stayed in place. It will be 'one with the truck' for a very
long time to come.
HF should buy OSH. They are a match made in Heaven.

--Winston--Now living happily ever after

OSH is a very good source to have around when you don't want to hassle
with McMaster or Grainger for one or two things, as their selection is
a lot deeper and they have it Now - but they are NOT my first choice
for everyday large purchases because the prices are a good 20% higher
than Home Depot or Lowe's.

You could probably 'Price Match' them down to reality if you had to
(as in they are the closest store and you're "on the clock") but
that's another hassle. And then you're /still/ wasting a half hour
haggling the price instead of just grabbing the part and getting back
to install it.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Having procured a few 3/4-16 nuts from OSH (Thanks, Bruce!),
I've installed the HF hitch ball on my truck without issue.
I was 'way out on the handle of the knuckle-buster and gave
it a few really good reefs. The hardware tightened up and
stayed in place. It will be 'one with the truck' for a very
long time to come.
HF should buy OSH. They are a match made in Heaven.

--Winston--Now living happily ever after

OSH is a very good source to have around when you don't want to hassle
with McMaster or Grainger for one or two things, as their selection is
a lot deeper and they have it Now - but they are NOT my first choice
for everyday large purchases because the prices are a good 20% higher
than Home Depot or Lowe's.

I got a couple surprises along that line this week.
I found fluorescent tubes (same part number and brand) at about
half price at my local Ace Hardware WRT Home Depot, and surprisingly
lower prices at Lowe's WRT OSH for some other items as well.
I always pictured Ace and Lowe's to be the 'high priced spread'.

It ain't necessarily so.

You could probably 'Price Match' them down to reality if you had to
(as in they are the closest store and you're "on the clock") but
that's another hassle. And then you're /still/ wasting a half hour
haggling the price instead of just grabbing the part and getting back
to install it.

Like most, I sure don't place enough value on my time.

My local full-service OSH closed and was replaced by a brand-new
store that is much closer. The bad news is that most of the time
they simply don't stock what I want to purchase. They've got lots
of appliances for sale but no roofing material or 'hundred count
boxes' of hardware, for example.

'Went in there last week for a regular plastic laundry basket to
fit an existing cubby in the bedroom. OSH had both sizes:
'Too wide' and 'too tall'!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One thing to keep in mind - many of the "dedicated" fastener and
industrial suppliers, who's prices are 20% higher, actually still
carry QUALITY fasteners.

Remember,"If you want first quality oats you need to be willing to pay
first quality price. If you are willing to settle for oats that have
already been through the horse, they DO come a little cheaper".

Much of the "hardware" purchased from HD, Lowes etc is definitely of
the "already been through the horse" variety.

For some jobs, that is adequate. For others, it is not. And just
because what you bought last week or last year was of sufficient
quality doesn't mean what you buy today is - or even if the last one
you took out of the package was adequate doesn't mean the next one
will be. (as I found out today - 5 fasteners - 5 were "decent" and one
badly mis-shapen and virtually useless)