Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to open a Mosler safe with combination?

On 2012-01-20, Ignoramus32441 wrote:
I purchased this Mosler safe. As you can see, it is open and empty, so
there is no hanky panky going on:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Mosler-Safe/

I'm sending this reply just to rec.crafts.metalworking.

The combination, as written on the masking tape stuck on the safe,
slightly modified to preserve all numbers order, is as follows:

R 63
L 47 3 turns
R 25 2 turns
L to 0

Well ... the first thing is that the first entry should be "turn
past 63 at least four times and stop on 63", not just "start at 63"
which is what this looks like to me.

Once that is dialed in, you have to turn the handle located to
the left of it, probably to the right.

However, the safe would not open. I was once shown that the combo
works, however, I cannot redo it. The safe is still open and I would
like to figure it out.

Hopefully, it is currently locked open, so you can't
accidentally close the door and wind up with it locked.

But with it open, it should be possible to get to the back of
the lock and reset the combination. I don't know about one of that age,
but typcially the Mosler ones I re-set at work had multiple rings and
hubs in a particular order in which you set the ring to line up the
number you wanted with an index on the hub prior to reassembling it.
The rings and hubs were plastic on those I worked on, while they may be
something like pot metal with one this vintage.

BTW It looks as though it once had file cabinet drawers in the
compartments -- I can still see the guides, and I see that the
door slides back into a compartment to the right of the file
cabinet section.

If anyone can help me, it will be GREATLY appreciated!

I hope that this does it.

Do you have the key for the handle? If not, and it is unlocked,
you should be fine, but someone might pick it closed. :-) A locksmith
could make a new key for it -- and change the keying in the process, so
someone else could not get the number off the lock to get one made. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564