DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gypsy business scammers (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/334441-re-gypsy-business-scammers.html)

dpb January 16th 12 03:22 PM

Gypsy business scammers

On 1/15/2012 7:55 PM, Ignoramus30685 wrote:
My business was recently visited by suspicious people. There were
three guys in a truck, slightly dark skinned. I and my guy were near
the open overhead door.

They stopped by and asked if I am selling the building. I said
no. Then they handed me a business card and said that they were in a
roofing business. The card included a website URL, which, as I later
learned, was not even in the WHOIS database, so it was totally bogus.

I was wondering if this is a unique experience or someone else has
seen that sort of thing.

There are those kinds of con's and potentially thieves all over; not all
are necessarily "gypsies" or any particular ethnicity.

If they're saying they're in roofing or somesuch, ask for their local
business license; every city will have requirements for them to have it
to do legitimate business. That will usually smoke 'em out very quickly.

As others said, besides simply being aware at your own place, _do_
report them to the local cops; you're not the only one they'll be trying
to rip off in one way or another and descriptions and vehicle are helpful.

Ignoramus9095 January 16th 12 04:04 PM

Gypsy business scammers

On 2012-01-16, dpb wrote:
[...]

As an afterthought, I agree with you, I should have shot a picture of
them and reported them to my police.