Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pathetic Topic - gummer dweeber - no military service

On Jan 18, 11:15*am, Ed Huntress wrote:

If none of it matters to you, why do you care if it matters to me?

--
Ed Huntress

Well there is the possibility that you have a good reason and I might
decide that it should matter to me.
Or you might have a reason that does not seem good to me, but I would
understand why you care. Or you might think about why it matters to
you and you might decide it should not matter so much to you. Or maybe
something else
entirely.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:38:45 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 18, 11:15*am, Ed Huntress wrote:

If none of it matters to you, why do you care if it matters to me?

--
Ed Huntress

Well there is the possibility that you have a good reason and I might
decide that it should matter to me.
Or you might have a reason that does not seem good to me, but I would
understand why you care. Or you might think about why it matters to
you and you might decide it should not matter so much to you. Or maybe
something else
entirely.

Dan

That's a lot of curiosity, Dan. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:07:00 -0800, Randal Scripter
wrote:

On 1/17/2012 8:41 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:30:27 -0800, Randal Scripter
wrote:

In civilian terms, gummer emulates a Group W Bench sitter.

Take a look at the ****-eating-grin dweeb in the lower right corner of
this picture, and tell me if it seems plausible to you that in less than
a year after graduating high school in 1971, he'd be toting an M21
sniper rifle (which wasn't yet called an M21) around Vietnam.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...pe =3&theater

To me, that seems utterly implausible.

To You?

To all knowledgeable observers.

Then that leaves you out in the cold now doesnt it?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default gummer dweeber - no military service

On 1/17/2012 4:10 PM, wrote:
On Jan 17, 3:38 pm, wrote:

Do you think you have to have been in the military to be offended by
some yahoo running around lying about his exploits in the military when
he wasn't even in the service? I can tell you that most Americans are
greatly offended when they hear of someone holding himself up as a
veteran when they aren't. A better question is why would you ask your
question? Don't you understand how offensive it is for someone to lie
about being in the military when they never were?

Hawke

No, I do not think you have to have been the military to be offended.
And having been in the military does not mean you are more likely to
be offended.

I asked my question because I just do not understand why Ed gets as
offended as he does.

At one time I socialized with a bunch of young men and everyone told
stories of things they had done. Some were truthful, some embellished
the stories, and some simply made up stories. Or at least that is
what I believe was the case. After a while I think I knew who told
the truth and who made up stories. But there was no way to be sure.
And it really did not matter all that much anyway. I took everything
with a grain of salt. All the stories were entertaining whether they
were true or not.

Now have I told you the story about the storm our ship was in when we
were coming back from the Far East.....It was a dark and stormy
night...........

Dan

My friends and I all did the same kind of thing. Everybody swapped
stories and many times they would get better and better with each
telling. But we knew who was believable and who wasn't because we knew
the people. Strangers never knew who to believe. For the guys we knew
weren't trustworthy we just called what they said bull**** stories. Most
of the time they are nothing but harmless scuttlebutt.

When it comes to making up stories about military exploits it is now a
crime. What do they call it? Stolen valor? Some people think it's really
a terrible thing to do and should be punished as a crime. Others
disagree. In the past this was never against the law. A lot of people
think this kind of law is unconstitutional and an infringement of free
speech. You don't have to tell the truth to have your speech protected.
So this question has two sides to it. I'm not sure which I come down on.
It seems going overboard to want to jail someone for pretending he was a
war hero.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/18/2012 11:10 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Randal on Wed, 18 Jan 2012
08:07:00 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

In civilian terms, gummer emulates a Group W Bench sitter.

Take a look at the ****-eating-grin dweeb in the lower right corner of
this picture, and tell me if it seems plausible to you that in less than
a year after graduating high school in 1971, he'd be toting an M21
sniper rifle (which wasn't yet called an M21) around Vietnam.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...pe =3&theater

To me, that seems utterly implausible.

To You?

To all knowledgeable observers.

Well, that obviously leaves you out.

Ha, that's a good one coming from a rube like you who believes
everything Gummer says is true!

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Jan 18, 11:15*am, Ed Huntress wrote:

If none of it matters to you, why do you care if it matters to me?

--
Ed Huntress

Well there is the possibility that you have a good reason and I might
decide that it should matter to me.
Or you might have a reason that does not seem good to me, but I would
understand why you care. *Or you might think about why it matters to
you and you might decide it should not matter so much to you. Or maybe
something *else
entirely.

Dan

That's a lot of curiosity, Dan. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

LOL.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/20/2012 3:03 PM, Hawke wrote:
On 1/17/2012 4:10 PM, wrote:
On Jan 17, 3:38 pm, wrote:

[...]

Not a crime in states that are part of the 9th Circuit. They ruled the
Stolen Valor Act unconstitutional last March.

Some people think it's really
a terrible thing to do and should be punished as a crime. Others
disagree. In the past this was never against the law. A lot of people
think this kind of law is unconstitutional and an infringement of free
speech. You don't have to tell the truth to have your speech protected.
So this question has two sides to it. I'm not sure which I come down on.
It seems going overboard to want to jail someone for pretending he was a
war hero.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/17/2012 5:00 PM, wrote:
On Jan 17, 3:45 pm, wrote:

Is there any reason to believe the men in this group are going to have
higher intelligence than any other newsgroup you can think of? If so, why?

Do not know about a lot of other usegroups. But there have been a
number of really sharp people post in RCM Some are no longer with is
as Jim Pentagrid, Teenut, Jim Rqsen, Bob Powell, Fitch, Jeff Wisna. I
will not get started on those that are still posting here. TMTC.
That stands for Too Many To Count, usually used on lab reports of
bacteria found.

That sounds rational but is it true? Do brainy people only hang out with
other brainy types? Do average people not have friends that are really
smart? I'm not sure. I think who your friends are is more a reflection
of what kind of personality you have rather than how high is your
intellectual capacity. I've had some really smart friends and some
really dumb ones too. I'll bet everyone else can say that too. So I'm
not too sure that everyone sticks to their own intellectual level for
who they wind up friends with. It seems random to me.

It may be more random in your case. In my case I have mostly
associated with smart people because I was around them and smart
people are generally more interesting at least to me. I do not have
any really dumb friends.

Well, you're missing out. Some of them can be really funny. And lots of
people with really good personalities are not the brainy types. In fact,
I'd say my experience is the opposite. Most of the time really brainy
people are no fun to be around.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/17/2012 8:22 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
On 1/17/2012 4:48 PM, Hawwke-ptooey wrote:
On 1/16/2012 8:21 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

Yeah, sure, I'll believe that claim when I see the proof and not until.

So what would you accept as proof, assuming I would bother?

That would be simple enough. All you would have to do is get that group
of 20 or 30 people to come forward and show they are Mensa members and
that they all consider you to be a friend. Not just an acquaintance but
a "friend".

That makes as much sense as anything you post. Come forward how? I don't
know that any of them pay for newsgroup subscriptions and if they did
and posted here, you would denounce them as fraudulent.

You're the one with the high IQ here, or so you say. So why are you
asking me how to do something other than you think I know more about it
than you do, which I do. But I'd rather you use that mighty brain of
yours and figure out a way to prove you have 20 Mensa "friends".
Personally, I don't believe you have 20 real friends of any kind.

All your dozen close friends are Mensa level intellects. What a crock.
If what you say is true you would be operating in truly elevated levels
with the highest intellect people you would find. But then we find you
here on a metalworking forum. Something doesn't fit the profile. A
genius like you hanging out with the rabble? Why?

Not much rabble here other than you.

No you're not rabble. You not that good. What your are is trash.

That's all you've got, another petty insult?

Just returning the favor you started. See where you say I'm the only
rabble here. Okay, you're the trash. You're stupid to play that game.

I became a machinist because the other, more intellectual jobs I had had
engaged my mind but not my hands and I have a strong mechanical
aptitude. I told several bosses that I became a machinist so I wouldn't
have to work for a living. They paid me to play.

So you are a professional tradesman? That's how you earned your living?
Or are you lying about that too?

Not so much a machinist any more, now mainly a CNC programmer of Mazak
and Mitsubishi LASERs. The title on my business card says Manager of
Information Systems, since I also maintain the company network.

Oh, so you're just a regular working person. So how come you think
you're so spectacular in the brains dept. The way you talk about
yourself I'd have thought you would be teaching IT at MIT. Don't even
have a PhD either? What happened?

You seem to the only one who missed the significance of the 2%
figure I
used. Why does that not surprise me?

It shouldn't because nobody else knows what you are blathering about
either. Nobody cares about what percent you threw out there. It's not
true so what difference is there if the number was 1% or 3%.

So the other comments about Mensa flew right by you? Even for you, a new
level of cluelessness.

Yes, you're right. I don't know what you are referring to just like
everybody else. You're so cryptic that only you know what you are
talking about. Some people call that being so stupid only you can
understand you.

Others got the 2% reference, you missed it. Cryptic only to the clueless.

They did? How do you know that? You need to communicate better. People
can't just guess what you are getting at. No one knows what you mean.
Are you talking about 2% of people qualifying to be in Mensa? You didn't
give enough information for anyone to know that you meant. So your poor
communication skill was the problem.

When you are bull****ting people the numbers don't really matter.

Once again you show us where your expertise lies.

It lies in many areas. Which you are ignorant of.

Yes, because the only expertise you show is in dispensing BS.

If you had brains you would understand the only thing I don't dispense
is BS. Here you have me or Gummer and you think Gummer is the truth
teller. And you claim to have brains? Ha, that's a good one.

I'm not too sure that example is very useful. I think genius IQs
are in
the 140-150 range or slightly above. So if your group had an
average IQ
of 130 they were far above average, yep, maybe in the top 2%.

As I expected, you know nothing about intelligence testing or IQ.
There
is no such thing as a "genius IQ" outside the popular media, which is
also responsible for nonsense characterizations like non matching
socks
and pocket protectors.

You probably didn't notice it because your superior intellect was
focused on some other deep matter, but the intellectual level we have
here in this group is certainly no higher than what you find in the
popular media.

Actually, most popular media is written for a 6th grade reading ability
so that people like you can understand it.

I couldn't care less that the popular media is aimed at a 6th grade
level. I haven't been at that level since I was 11. You are the one I'm
worried about. I'm not sure you can handle the popular media. If it's
for 6th graders it's going to be hard for you.

Not really. I finished 2nd grade reading at 4th grade level.

Spent a year in a tuberculosis sanatorium with little to do but read.

Entered 4th grade reading at high school sophomore level.

Yet no PhD? How about a master's? Got one of those?

So to use language that is congruent with common
understanding and usage is perfectly appropriate. Only if you have a
giant head and are trying to foist some fake portrait of yourself as
being as brainy as a genius would that kind of language upset you some.

Ironically, (in the sense that you inadvertently got something right) I
do have a large head, some 7-3/4 sizes fit, most don't. I can't mail
order motorcycle helmets because their idea of XXL or XXXL is imprecise.

Whatever the actual size of your head that's not what I was referring
to. You don't get so much that it has to be explained to you like a
retard. You think you are great but you are lucky to be average.

Your response once again demonstrates how poor your reading
comprehension is.

My reading comprehension is in the top 1%.

131 is where it starts, some of the people I had dinner with last
night
are as far beyond me as I am beyond you. Very exciting to talk with.

Beyond? You aren't even equal to. It's obvious to all that as Clint
Eastwood used to say, you are a legend in your own mind. You are also
afflicted by the Dunning-Kreuger effect, meaning you overestimate your
abilities and underestimate everyone else's. You're a particularly
serious example of thinking you are a lot better than you are.

Not really, just aware that I am a lot smarter than you.

Reality check. You are one of the less intellectual people here. You
aren't that bright, notwithstanding your own inflated view of yourself.

I gnash my teeth and rend my cloak in anguish because you think so
poorly of me.

Your poor opinion of me bothers me similarly.

Unlike you, who are the sort of person I joined Mensa to avoid.

Going to prove that? If you and Gunner are examples of Mensa members
that's a club I sure would want no part of.

I'm sure that will never be an issue.

Because I couldn't care less about being in it. It might be a good place
for a nerdy person like you though.

Once again you show us how little you know about how intelligent people
interact.

I've interacted many times with people with real PhDs so the smartest
people you can find are nothing I've not come across many times in my
life. Got along with them well and did not find myself out of my league
like you would be. You may be good in a group of computer nerds but
anywhere else you would be like a fish out of water.

So what else do you and Gummer have in common besides being liars.

Well, for all his faults, he also is smarter than you are.

Way smarter than you. His IQ is 158. He told us. But he's really good at
hiding it. Just like you. Everyone thinks you aren't smart at all.

Everyone in the unique universe occupied only by Hawwke-ptooey.

Take a poll right here. Ask how many of the guys here thought you were
one of the smartest people in the group. You won't like the response.

No need to pretend, I know what my SAT scores were in '67.

That really tells me a lot. Mr. pocket protector.

What would be the point of my telling you my SAT scores? You wouldn't
believe me and I know of no way to objectively verify the scores.

To adults SAT scores mean nothing. You're no Steven Hawking yet you like
to make it sound like you have all kinds of proof of how smart you were
when you were young. As an adult you aren't on an elite level. With the
brains you claim you should. So how'd that happen?

The difference is that you have no evidence, I can just point to what
you post.

You haven't a shred of evidence either but that never stops you from
making unsupported pronouncements. No one with character acts like you
do. It's obvious. You deny the truth constantly and make accusations
with no evidence. That show what a dishonest jackass you are.

Again with the petty insult. I don't need to present evidence of your
inadequacy, you do that quite well all by yourself.

Petty insults are wrong unless they come from you. Sorry, Charlie. You
started it. But if you want anyone to believe what you claim you better
present evidence. You have presented no evidence that you have superior
intellect to anyone else and you have presented no evidence of me being
inadequate in any way. The only person you have convinced in yourself.

Ed is a professional writer, there are few others here who can say that.
I confess that I do not write as well as a professional writer. Nor do
you.

With the brainpower you claim to have it's hard to believe you can't
write on a professional level. The fact you can't shows what I have said
about you is true.

No, it shows I've never had a need to develop that skill.

Yeah, you could have been a contender too. But you got screwed. You
don't have the skill because you didn't learn it.

You claim to be far superior than you really are.

No, just far superior to you.

Whatever you call it it's just an unsubstantiated claim.

You
do that so you can do your fake superiority routine. Too bad for you
that it doesn't work. You have to actually show you are better and you
can't.

Yet I have through out this discussion.

The only person who believes that claim is you.

Was it a conscious decision to stop learning after you got your BA?
Did
you realize you now knew everything you would ever need to?

Since I've been into learning my entire life and still am that puts a
lie to your supposition. Wanting to continue to learn at any age says to
all but the most ignorant that there is still a lot more for me to
learn. But keep making all the preposterous and wrong claims you want.
It just shows that you aren't serious.

True, I'm not serious in this discussion with you, its more like dealing
with a not very imaginative child.

It could be worse. You could be me and have to deal with someone with
rather sever psychological problems. Someone who is delusional when it
comes to his own abilities and those of others.

What's funny is to hear your ignorance so prominently displayed. What
you say about me is about as accurate as you saying that Mitt Romney
isn't rich. I've been an avid reader since I was 12 years old.

Why did you wait so long?

It says an "avid" reader since I was 12 not that I wasn't a reader
before that. I'm sure I couldn't match you though, right? Weren't you
reading as an infant?

Nope, didn't have much time for reading until 2nd grade, 7 or 8 years
old. Not so much fiction at first, then I had a year with not much else
to do, started working on the novels in the sanatorium with lots of
looking at the dictionaries and encyclopedias for the new words and
concepts. Learning how to learn.

What a pompous cock and bull story!

I've got at least 20 years of formal education under my belt.

And yet so little wisdom to show for it.

And what do you have to show for you genius at machinery? Certainly
nothing you have shown us here. I can't think of a single gem of wisdom
from you. All that comes out of you is criticism and that is not a sign
of wisdom but of psychological trouble.

Actually I'm just mocking your many pretensions.

My pretensions? Ha, that is a good one coming from you. I concede that
when it comes to over rating your self you're a master.

I am constantly
undertaking new endeavors that teach me new things every year and I
have
a lifelong history of learning. Then some completely ignorant Dude
comes
along who doesn't know a damn thing about me and says the exact
opposite.

I doubt that I'm the only one who has seen you for what you are. And
aren't.

I would doubt that what you see anyone else does. You come across like
someone who thinks they are awesome.

No, I used to be awesome, but have little time for that now.

Don't have time to be awesome anymore, do you? So what are you doing
instead?

It's impossible for you to be any farther off the mark. You
have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, which tells me
all I
need to know about you. You're a buffoon.

I have never felt I knew all I needed to about anything, which is why I
can continue to learn. You have just confessed that you choose to not
learn, to not try to stretch beyond your limited capacity. I pity you.

Really? Well, you sure act like a know it all.

No, just a lot more than you.

We'll all believe that the minute you prove it.

You think you know a lot
about me. But then every accusation you make has no basis in fact and no
evidence to support it.

Just the evidence you present whenever you post.

You present some meaningful evidence when you post tool. Mainly that you
aren't any smarter or know more than anybody else around here.

Everything you say is nothing but your own
biased and ignorant opinions minus the truth. You have a habit of that.
Just making pronouncements and expecting that people accept them as
true. Just one thing, they do need to do true if anyone is going to
believe them. You have a lot of work to do. From now on try to get the
facts first then go from there.

Hawwke-ptooey

I'm just reacting to the utter nonsense you keep spouting. You really
are amusing. I've never seen someone so convinced that a poli sci BA
from an obscure school actually means you have something to contribute
to adult discourse.

In the first place it's only stupidity that would make you think that
simply a college degree gives me the ability to contribute to an adult
discussion. That's the least of it. My formal education is only a very
small part of the whole package. The package you know virtually nothing
about. But your conceit and overconfidence have prevented you from
leaning. All you show in your posts is that you have a lot to learn and
that for all your bragging you aren't half what you purport to be. Of
course, you could always change that by proving some of what you claim.
I won't hold my breath waiting for you to prove anything though.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 20, 6:25*pm, Hawke wrote:

Well, you're missing out. Some of them can be really funny. And lots of
people with really good personalities are not the brainy types. In fact,
I'd say my experience is the opposite. Most of the time really brainy
people are no fun to be around.

Hawke

Do you know the IQ of all of your friends? I keep telling you there
is a difference between being intelligent and having degrees. I sent
you the obit of Gary Macy. He was a very sharp individual and the
obit says he had an IQ of 187 or was it 188. Anyway he was smart, but
he did not have a degree. He did attend Colorado School of Mines ,
but did not graduate.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/a...y-lee-macy-54/

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/20/2012 7:10 PM, wrote:
On Jan 20, 6:25 pm, wrote:

Well, you're missing out. Some of them can be really funny. And lots of
people with really good personalities are not the brainy types. In fact,
I'd say my experience is the opposite. Most of the time really brainy
people are no fun to be around.

Hawke

Do you know the IQ of all of your friends? I keep telling you there
is a difference between being intelligent and having degrees. I sent
you the obit of Gary Macy. He was a very sharp individual and the
obit says he had an IQ of 187 or was it 188. Anyway he was smart, but
he did not have a degree. He did attend Colorado School of Mines ,
but did not graduate.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/a...y-lee-macy-54/

Dan

I don't know where you get the idea that I think anyone needs a college
degree. Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates never got degrees and had fine
lives. If you gave them IQ tests I think you would find them far above
average in intelligence too. What I find is that people with really high
IQs are able to do well in life simply because they are smarter than
everybody else. They can get degrees if they want but they don't have
to. One of those brainy people can learn more than what someone gets
from a college degree on their own and in one year.

A liberal arts education is something different from vocational
training. Many college degrees are just job training. Not so with a
liberal arts degree. It's like what's the difference between an
"educated man" and someone trained in a specific job like math or
engineering? I say the difference is a big one. Many times someone with
a liberal arts degree goes on from there and then gets trained in a
specific vocation. But he got the liberal education for something other
than what he got from his vocational training. One thing teaches you how
to do a job and the other makes you an educated man, and it's always an
advantage to be one of those even if you never make a lot of money in
your life. You got something that the uneducated never get. You know
what it is. They don't.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 21, 2:34*pm, Hawke wrote:
On 1/20/2012 7:10 PM, wrote:

Do you know the IQ of all of your friends?

. One thing teaches you how
to do a job and the other makes you an educated man, and it's always an
advantage to be one of those even if you never make a lot of money in
your life. You got something that the uneducated never get. You know
what it is. They don't.

Hawke

So do you know the IQ's of all your friends? It may be that your
interesting friends have higher IQ's than you think.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Hawke" wrote in message
On 1/20/2012 7:10 PM, wrote:
On Jan 20, 6:25 pm, wrote:

[...]

Math is not vocational training and it is actually part of a good classical
education, although you won't get a good background in math at a less
competitive university.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 21, 3:11*pm, "ATP" wrote:
"Hawke" wrote in message

On 1/20/2012 7:10 PM, wrote:
On Jan 20, 6:25 pm, *wrote:

[...]

competitive university.- Hide quoted text -

Could you expand on that statement?

Math is math...and mostly taught from a textbook.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/20/2012 6:14 PM, Hawwke-ptooey wrote:
On 1/17/2012 8:22 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
On 1/17/2012 4:48 PM, Hawwke-ptooey wrote:
On 1/16/2012 8:21 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

That makes as much sense as anything you post. Come forward how? I don't
know that any of them pay for newsgroup subscriptions and if they did
and posted here, you would denounce them as fraudulent.

You're the one with the high IQ here, or so you say. So why are you
asking me how to do something other than you think I know more about it
than you do, which I do. But I'd rather you use that mighty brain of
yours and figure out a way to prove you have 20 Mensa "friends".
Personally, I don't believe you have 20 real friends of any kind.

So you know how to do what you requested? OK, if you can enlighten me, I
will acknowledge that. Otherwise, you're just blowing your usual smoke.

Not so much a machinist any more, now mainly a CNC programmer of Mazak
and Mitsubishi LASERs. The title on my business card says Manager of
Information Systems, since I also maintain the company network.

Oh, so you're just a regular working person. So how come you think
you're so spectacular in the brains dept. The way you talk about
yourself I'd have thought you would be teaching IT at MIT. Don't even
have a PhD either? What happened?

What is inconsistent in being a working person with lots of brains? It
beats having a meaningless poli sci BA and no brains.

Yes, you're right. I don't know what you are referring to just like
everybody else. You're so cryptic that only you know what you are
talking about. Some people call that being so stupid only you can
understand you.

Others got the 2% reference, you missed it. Cryptic only to the clueless.

They did? How do you know that? You need to communicate better. People
can't just guess what you are getting at. No one knows what you mean.

Except for the several who started talking about Mensa, you mean?

Are you talking about 2% of people qualifying to be in Mensa? You didn't
give enough information for anyone to know that you meant. So your poor
communication skill was the problem.

Those with a clue understood the reference. You didn't.

Yes, because the only expertise you show is in dispensing BS.

If you had brains you would understand the only thing I don't dispense
is BS. Here you have me or Gummer and you think Gummer is the truth
teller. And you claim to have brains? Ha, that's a good one.

I don't think Gunner tells the truth any more than you do. I do think
he's smarter than you. Again, a low hurdle.

I couldn't care less that the popular media is aimed at a 6th grade
level. I haven't been at that level since I was 11. You are the one I'm
worried about. I'm not sure you can handle the popular media. If it's
for 6th graders it's going to be hard for you.

Not really. I finished 2nd grade reading at 4th grade level.

Spent a year in a tuberculosis sanatorium with little to do but read.

Entered 4th grade reading at high school sophomore level.

Yet no PhD? How about a master's? Got one of those?

Never saw a need for them in what I wanted to do.

Your response once again demonstrates how poor your reading
comprehension is.

My reading comprehension is in the top 1%.

Only in the Hawwke-ptooey unique universe occupied only by you.

Unlike you, who are the sort of person I joined Mensa to avoid.

Going to prove that? If you and Gunner are examples of Mensa members
that's a club I sure would want no part of.

I'm sure that will never be an issue.

Because I couldn't care less about being in it. It might be a good place
for a nerdy person like you though.

Once again you show us how little you know about how intelligent people
interact.

I've interacted many times with people with real PhDs so the smartest
people you can find are nothing I've not come across many times in my
life. Got along with them well and did not find myself out of my league
like you would be. You may be good in a group of computer nerds but
anywhere else you would be like a fish out of water.

Not really, although the PhDs I hang with don't spend nearly as much
time talking about educational degrees as you do.

So what else do you and Gummer have in common besides being liars.

Well, for all his faults, he also is smarter than you are.

Way smarter than you. His IQ is 158. He told us. But he's really good at
hiding it. Just like you. Everyone thinks you aren't smart at all.

Everyone in the unique universe occupied only by Hawwke-ptooey.

Take a poll right here. Ask how many of the guys here thought you were
one of the smartest people in the group. You won't like the response.

I never made any such claim, only that I am obviously smarter than you.
Again, a low hurdle.

Is there an echo in here?

No need to pretend, I know what my SAT scores were in '67.

That really tells me a lot. Mr. pocket protector.

What would be the point of my telling you my SAT scores? You wouldn't
believe me and I know of no way to objectively verify the scores.

To adults SAT scores mean nothing. You're no Steven Hawking yet you like
to make it sound like you have all kinds of proof of how smart you were
when you were young. As an adult you aren't on an elite level.

An elite level as judged by the holder of a mediocre BA from a mediocre
school?

With the brains you claim you should. So how'd that happen?

So it didn't, except in your narrow little mind.

The difference is that you have no evidence, I can just point to what
you post.

You haven't a shred of evidence either but that never stops you from
making unsupported pronouncements. No one with character acts like you
do. It's obvious. You deny the truth constantly and make accusations
with no evidence. That show what a dishonest jackass you are.

Again with the petty insult. I don't need to present evidence of your
inadequacy, you do that quite well all by yourself.

Petty insults are wrong unless they come from you. Sorry, Charlie. You
started it. But if you want anyone to believe what you claim you better
present evidence. You have presented no evidence that you have superior
intellect to anyone else and you have presented no evidence of me being
inadequate in any way. The only person you have convinced in yourself.

Nope, anyone who reads your posts can see how shallow they are.

With the brainpower you claim to have it's hard to believe you can't
write on a professional level. The fact you can't shows what I have said
about you is true.

No, it shows I've never had a need to develop that skill.

Yeah, you could have been a contender too. But you got screwed. You
don't have the skill because you didn't learn it.

Which is what I said. I didn't nave a need for it.

You claim to be far superior than you really are.

No, just far superior to you.

Whatever you call it it's just an unsubstantiated claim.

Only substantiated by what you display in your posts.

You
do that so you can do your fake superiority routine. Too bad for you
that it doesn't work. You have to actually show you are better and you
can't.

Yet I have through out this discussion.

The only person who believes that claim is you.

And those reading these posts.

True, I'm not serious in this discussion with you, its more like dealing
with a not very imaginative child.

It could be worse. You could be me and have to deal with someone with
rather sever psychological problems. Someone who is delusional when it
comes to his own abilities and those of others.

Yes, I can see how your having these issues in your personality has
affected your unique view of reality.

What's funny is to hear your ignorance so prominently displayed. What
you say about me is about as accurate as you saying that Mitt Romney
isn't rich. I've been an avid reader since I was 12 years old.

Why did you wait so long?

It says an "avid" reader since I was 12 not that I wasn't a reader
before that. I'm sure I couldn't match you though, right? Weren't you
reading as an infant?

Nope, didn't have much time for reading until 2nd grade, 7 or 8 years
old. Not so much fiction at first, then I had a year with not much else
to do, started working on the novels in the sanatorium with lots of
looking at the dictionaries and encyclopedias for the new words and
concepts. Learning how to learn.

What a pompous cock and bull story!

Nope, all true. The whole thing then really accelerated in 5th grade
when I discovered SF.

I've got at least 20 years of formal education under my belt.

And yet so little wisdom to show for it.

And what do you have to show for you genius at machinery? Certainly
nothing you have shown us here. I can't think of a single gem of wisdom
from you. All that comes out of you is criticism and that is not a sign
of wisdom but of psychological trouble.

Actually I'm just mocking your many pretensions.

My pretensions? Ha, that is a good one coming from you. I concede that
when it comes to over rating your self you're a master.

Naw, pretty well grounded, mostly. I'll never be rich, but never poor
either. Sometimes I briefly wish I had been more money or degree
oriented, but I'm happy with what I do and what I've done.

I would doubt that what you see anyone else does. You come across like
someone who thinks they are awesome.

No, I used to be awesome, but have little time for that now.

Don't have time to be awesome anymore, do you? So what are you doing
instead?

Having to be satisfied with splendid instead of awesome.

Really? Well, you sure act like a know it all.

No, just a lot more than you.

We'll all believe that the minute you prove it.

Which I do with each reply.

You think you know a lot about me. But then every accusation you
make has no basis in fact and no evidence to support it.

Just the evidence you present whenever you post.

You present some meaningful evidence when you post tool. Mainly that you
aren't any smarter or know more than anybody else around here.

Dumber than some, smarter than most, including you. Again, a low hurdle.

Again with that odd echo.

Everything you say is nothing but your own
biased and ignorant opinions minus the truth. You have a habit of that.
Just making pronouncements and expecting that people accept them as
true. Just one thing, they do need to do true if anyone is going to
believe them. You have a lot of work to do. From now on try to get the
facts first then go from there.

Hawwke-ptooey

I'm just reacting to the utter nonsense you keep spouting. You really
are amusing. I've never seen someone so convinced that a poli sci BA
from an obscure school actually means you have something to contribute
to adult discourse.

In the first place it's only stupidity that would make you think that
simply a college degree gives me the ability to contribute to an adult
discussion.

My point is that you think so, when it obviously doesn't.

That's the least of it. My formal education is only a very
small part of the whole package. The package you know virtually nothing
about. But your conceit and overconfidence have prevented you from
leaning. All you show in your posts is that you have a lot to learn and
that for all your bragging you aren't half what you purport to be. Of
course, you could always change that by proving some of what you claim.
I won't hold my breath waiting for you to prove anything though.

Hawwke-ptooey

And I'm not going to hold my breath until you show you can contribute as
an adult.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/21/2012 1:34 PM, Hawwke-ptooey wrote:
On 1/20/2012 7:10 PM, wrote:
On Jan 20, 6:25 pm, wrote:

Well, you're missing out. Some of them can be really funny. And lots of
people with really good personalities are not the brainy types. In fact,
I'd say my experience is the opposite. Most of the time really brainy
people are no fun to be around.

Hawke

Do you know the IQ of all of your friends? I keep telling you there
is a difference between being intelligent and having degrees. I sent
you the obit of Gary Macy. He was a very sharp individual and the
obit says he had an IQ of 187 or was it 188. Anyway he was smart, but
he did not have a degree. He did attend Colorado School of Mines ,
but did not graduate.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/a...y-lee-macy-54/

Dan

I don't know where you get the idea that I think anyone needs a college
degree.

It's more a question of your thinking that without a degree a person is,
by your standards, uneducated.

Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates never got degrees and had fine
lives. If you gave them IQ tests I think you would find them far above
average in intelligence too. What I find is that people with really high
IQs are able to do well in life simply because they are smarter than
everybody else. They can get degrees if they want but they don't have
to. One of those brainy people can learn more than what someone gets
from a college degree on their own and in one year.

Pretty much what I've found. I've also seen quite a people like yourself
with a degree but little sign of being well educated.

A liberal arts education is something different from vocational
training. Many college degrees are just job training. Not so with a
liberal arts degree.

Yes, this is often training to not have a job.

It's like what's the difference between an
"educated man" and someone trained in a specific job like math or
engineering? I say the difference is a big one. Many times someone with
a liberal arts degree goes on from there and then gets trained in a
specific vocation.

Yes, it is often the difference between "do you want fries with that?"
and "would you like some fresh ground pepper on that?"

But he got the liberal education for something other
than what he got from his vocational training. One thing teaches you how
to do a job and the other makes you an educated man, and it's always an
advantage to be one of those even if you never make a lot of money in
your life. You got something that the uneducated never get. You know
what it is. They don't.

Hawwke-ptooey

Once again, having a poli sci BA from Podunk U. does not make one
"educated". It is where your education should have started, but ended,
instead.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/21/2012 1:11 PM, ATP wrote:

[...]

No doubt about it. Math is something you would expect an educated man to
know something about.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/22/2012 9:21 AM, David R. Birch wrote:

I don't know where you get the idea that I think anyone needs a college
degree.

It's more a question of your thinking that without a degree a person is,
by your standards, uneducated.

You can either be educated by an institution of higher learning or you
can be self educated. Either one can be very good, very bad, or anything
in between. Generally speaking, any time someone is referred to as
educated that means they have a formal education of some kind. Funny
that I need to explain such basic things to a genius.

Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates never got degrees and had fine
lives. If you gave them IQ tests I think you would find them far above
average in intelligence too. What I find is that people with really high
IQs are able to do well in life simply because they are smarter than
everybody else. They can get degrees if they want but they don't have
to. One of those brainy people can learn more than what someone gets
from a college degree on their own and in one year.

Pretty much what I've found. I've also seen quite a people like yourself
with a degree but little sign of being well educated.

As I have found quite a large number of men who believe they are
exceptional when in fact they are far from it. You are clearly an
average man masquerading as a superior one. Proof being you can't tell
an educated man when you see one.

A liberal arts education is something different from vocational
training. Many college degrees are just job training. Not so with a
liberal arts degree.

Yes, this is often training to not have a job.

If that were a true statement then you would be correct for a change but
as usual you are wrong. Look at the statistics for employment and you
find that people with college degrees, and it doesn't matter in what,
are almost all employed. Millions of Americans have liberal arts degrees
and they have jobs too. Most of them making more than you do.

It's like what's the difference between an
"educated man" and someone trained in a specific job like math or
engineering? I say the difference is a big one. Many times someone with
a liberal arts degree goes on from there and then gets trained in a
specific vocation.

Yes, it is often the difference between "do you want fries with that?"
and "would you like some fresh ground pepper on that?"

As if you would know anything about that. If you knew as much as you
think you do you would be someone to contend with. Unfortunately you're
just an ordinary guy that mistakenly thinks he is brilliant.
Dunning-Kruger in the flesh.

But he got the liberal education for something other
than what he got from his vocational training. One thing teaches you how
to do a job and the other makes you an educated man, and it's always an
advantage to be one of those even if you never make a lot of money in
your life. You got something that the uneducated never get. You know
what it is. They don't.

Hawwke-ptooey

Once again, having a poli sci BA from Podunk U. does not make one
"educated". It is where your education should have started, but ended,
instead.

My degree from a California State University is just one link in the
long chain of learning that gave me my education. There is far more to
my education than you will ever know or appreciate. That's because
you're dumb. Regardless of what technical knowledge you may have or what
skill you may have with machines you have proven that in many ways you
are really just a dummy.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 3:18*pm, Hawke wrote:

Actually, I've found that even discussing IQs these days is passe. When
I was young a lot was made about IQ but now it seems we have learned
that it's not really that important for most of us. There are different
kinds of ways of measuring intelligence now and other ways of seeing
what intelligence is so what one's IQ is doesn't seem to be anything
anyone cares about very much. But you can still usually tell which
people are the really brainy ones. Most of us aren't in that class and
we know it.

Hawke

So you have no idea of your friends IQ.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/22/2012 9:04 AM, David R. Birch wrote:

You're the one with the high IQ here, or so you say. So why are you
asking me how to do something other than you think I know more about it
than you do, which I do. But I'd rather you use that mighty brain of
yours and figure out a way to prove you have 20 Mensa "friends".
Personally, I don't believe you have 20 real friends of any kind.

So you know how to do what you requested? OK, if you can enlighten me, I
will acknowledge that. Otherwise, you're just blowing your usual smoke.

So you're not very practical either, huh? How about you get your friends
together for a party and video it. Have them all take out their Mensa
cards and show them and have them tell on camera how what a great friend
you are. Not so hard really. That is if you have all kinds of brainy
friends.

Not so much a machinist any more, now mainly a CNC programmer of Mazak
and Mitsubishi LASERs. The title on my business card says Manager of
Information Systems, since I also maintain the company network.

Oh, so you're just a regular working person. So how come you think
you're so spectacular in the brains dept. The way you talk about
yourself I'd have thought you would be teaching IT at MIT. Don't even
have a PhD either? What happened?

What is inconsistent in being a working person with lots of brains? It
beats having a meaningless poli sci BA and no brains.

Noting more than a world class athlete that doesn't choose to
participate in his sport or a professional level musician choosing not
to play music. You don't find people with exceptional abilities often
choosing not to use them and simply working at a regular job. People
with great abilities like to use them. You portray yourself as
exceptionally smart and me as being dumb. But you haven't really shown
in any way that either of those characterizations is near to being true.
You make assertions but that's all.

Yes, you're right. I don't know what you are referring to just like
everybody else. You're so cryptic that only you know what you are
talking about. Some people call that being so stupid only you can
understand you.

Others got the 2% reference, you missed it. Cryptic only to the
clueless.

Not hardly. How do I break this to you? Referring to the 2% could be any
number of things not just Mensa.

They did? How do you know that? You need to communicate better. People
can't just guess what you are getting at. No one knows what you mean.

Except for the several who started talking about Mensa, you mean?

You could have been referring to anything. Bring up the term 2% and
everybody doesn't just conclude MENSA! In fact, nobody even gives a ****
about Mensa. I can't even tell you the last time I heard anyone mention
it. Oh wait, yes I can. Ron Owens the radio talk show host from San
Francisco mentioned it a year or so ago because he's a member. Aside
from that nobody brings it up. Nobody really cares.

Are you talking about 2% of people qualifying to be in Mensa? You didn't
give enough information for anyone to know that you meant. So your poor
communication skill was the problem.

Those with a clue understood the reference. You didn't.

You mean you think I hadn't heard of Mensa, didn't know what it was, and
didn't know only 2% qualify for it? I knew about Mensa decades ago. But
it's not something I think about much so it doesn't just pop into my
head when someone mentions 2%. I'm more likely to think about the top 2%
of wealth than Mensa.

Yes, because the only expertise you show is in dispensing BS.

If you had brains you would understand the only thing I don't dispense
is BS. Here you have me or Gummer and you think Gummer is the truth
teller. And you claim to have brains? Ha, that's a good one.

I don't think Gunner tells the truth any more than you do. I do think
he's smarter than you. Again, a low hurdle.

If you are not aware that Gummer is a well known liar by now then you
are really ignorant. And after reading his lies, bull**** stories, and
insulting remarks you would find him intelligent only goes to show what
a truly lousy judge you are. As for smarts I don't think you're any
smarter than the average factory worker either. So I take your judgment
for what it's worth, jack ****.

I couldn't care less that the popular media is aimed at a 6th grade
level. I haven't been at that level since I was 11. You are the one I'm
worried about. I'm not sure you can handle the popular media. If it's
for 6th graders it's going to be hard for you.

Not really. I finished 2nd grade reading at 4th grade level.

Spent a year in a tuberculosis sanatorium with little to do but read.

Entered 4th grade reading at high school sophomore level.

Yet no PhD? How about a master's? Got one of those?

Never saw a need for them in what I wanted to do.

What a pussy way to say I never earned an advanced degree; I didn't do
the work. So I discount them as not being something I wanted to do. Lots
of others didn't do the work as you either. But then they don't act like
you do. Like you're as smart as those with better educations than you have.

Your response once again demonstrates how poor your reading
comprehension is.

My reading comprehension is in the top 1%.

Only in the Hawwke-ptooey unique universe occupied only by you.

You're like a wanna be bench warmer telling the starter he's no good.
We've all seen your kind. But there's a reason you're on the bench
instead of on the field. You're no good no matter how much you say
otherwise. You deal with that by pretending to be better than others
when you really aren't.

[...]

The only time I talk about my education is when ignorant people tell me
I don't have one or that having one doesn't confer any benefit to me.
Most people realize right off the bat I'm someone with brains and
education because I have a wide latitude of knowledge. Only dumb people
don't recognize it.

So what else do you and Gummer have in common besides being liars.

Well, for all his faults, he also is smarter than you are.

Way smarter than you. His IQ is 158. He told us. But he's really
good at
hiding it. Just like you. Everyone thinks you aren't smart at all.

Everyone in the unique universe occupied only by Hawwke-ptooey.

Take a poll right here. Ask how many of the guys here thought you were
one of the smartest people in the group. You won't like the response.

I never made any such claim, only that I am obviously smarter than you.
Again, a low hurdle.

Is there an echo in here?

So the only thing you have established is that you make claims. What you
have not established is that you can prove any of them. Least of all
that you are any smarter than I am. You talk a good game but nobody has
seen your game.

No need to pretend, I know what my SAT scores were in '67.

That really tells me a lot. Mr. pocket protector.

What would be the point of my telling you my SAT scores? You wouldn't
believe me and I know of no way to objectively verify the scores.

To adults SAT scores mean nothing. You're no Steven Hawking yet you like
to make it sound like you have all kinds of proof of how smart you were
when you were young. As an adult you aren't on an elite level.

An elite level as judged by the holder of a mediocre BA from a mediocre
school?

Again, you're the person claiming the brilliant childhood and the degree
from a "name" school. So when do we get to see some evidence that you
are superior to anyone? You talk big. But that's all.

With the brains you claim you should. So how'd that happen?

So it didn't, except in your narrow little mind.

In my mind, no, in society's idea of what an elite is. You don't pass
the test on any level. A guy with a thirty year old college degree that
works in a factory thinks he's is one of America's elite. I think you've
been smoking too much dope lately. Your brain isn't functioning.

[...]

Why would I want to post deep thoughts here? This is where you go with
your shallow thoughts. You sure do.

With the brainpower you claim to have it's hard to believe you can't
write on a professional level. The fact you can't shows what I have
said
about you is true.

No, it shows I've never had a need to develop that skill.

Yeah, you could have been a contender too. But you got screwed. You
don't have the skill because you didn't learn it.

Which is what I said. I didn't nave a need for it.

Not accomplishing a task is a lot different than saying you don't have a
need for it. The reality is you couldn't have gotten a Master's or PhD
not matter how much you tried. You're lacking.

You claim to be far superior than you really are.

No, just far superior to you.

Whatever you call it it's just an unsubstantiated claim.

Only substantiated by what you display in your posts.

Exactly what do you think your posts display about you? That's you're
just average? That's what most of us would say after reading what you
have written. Nothing special here.

You
do that so you can do your fake superiority routine. Too bad for you
that it doesn't work. You have to actually show you are better and you
can't.

Yet I have through out this discussion.

The only person who believes that claim is you.

And those reading these posts.

Yeah, did you take a poll when I was away? Or are you making that up too?

True, I'm not serious in this discussion with you, its more like dealing
with a not very imaginative child.

It could be worse. You could be me and have to deal with someone with
rather sever psychological problems. Someone who is delusional when it
comes to his own abilities and those of others.

Yes, I can see how your having these issues in your personality has
affected your unique view of reality.

Sorry but it's you who's views of reality are so far out of line with
what others think. You are the guy who thinks he on a Mensa level and is
better than others. But you never show that you are. You just talk.

What's funny is to hear your ignorance so prominently displayed. What
you say about me is about as accurate as you saying that Mitt Romney
isn't rich. I've been an avid reader since I was 12 years old.

Why did you wait so long?

It says an "avid" reader since I was 12 not that I wasn't a reader
before that. I'm sure I couldn't match you though, right? Weren't you
reading as an infant?

Nope, didn't have much time for reading until 2nd grade, 7 or 8 years
old. Not so much fiction at first, then I had a year with not much else
to do, started working on the novels in the sanatorium with lots of
looking at the dictionaries and encyclopedias for the new words and
concepts. Learning how to learn.

What a pompous cock and bull story!

Nope, all true. The whole thing then really accelerated in 5th grade
when I discovered SF.

So science fiction changed your life?

I've got at least 20 years of formal education under my belt.

And yet so little wisdom to show for it.

And what do you have to show for you genius at machinery? Certainly
nothing you have shown us here. I can't think of a single gem of wisdom
from you. All that comes out of you is criticism and that is not a sign
of wisdom but of psychological trouble.

Actually I'm just mocking your many pretensions.

My pretensions? Ha, that is a good one coming from you. I concede that
when it comes to over rating your self you're a master.

Naw, pretty well grounded, mostly. I'll never be rich, but never poor
either. Sometimes I briefly wish I had been more money or degree
oriented, but I'm happy with what I do and what I've done.

Keep telling yourself that. You'll feel better when you see how little
you've actually done. How if only you had just FELT like it you would
have accomplished so much more. Tee Hee, when are you going to face the
facts you are not all that and stop acting like you're so special? It
must be hard for you to accept that fact you're just average. Then you
can stop pretending you're better than me.

I would doubt that what you see anyone else does. You come across like
someone who thinks they are awesome.

No, I used to be awesome, but have little time for that now.

Don't have time to be awesome anymore, do you? So what are you doing
instead?

Having to be satisfied with splendid instead of awesome.

So says the guy who says he doesn't pretend he's better than he really is.

Really? Well, you sure act like a know it all.

No, just a lot more than you.

We'll all believe that the minute you prove it.

Which I do with each reply.

All your replies prove is that you're an empty vessel.

You think you know a lot about me. But then every accusation you
make has no basis in fact and no evidence to support it.

Just the evidence you present whenever you post.

You present some meaningful evidence when you post tool. Mainly that you
aren't any smarter or know more than anybody else around here.

Dumber than some, smarter than most, including you. Again, a low hurdle.

Again with that odd echo.

If you aren't any better or any worse than anyone else then why do you
keep presenting yourself as being in the top level of intellect? You
can't be both Either you're superior to most of us intellectually or
you're not. It doesn't appear that you are all that bright. In fact you
can't even get over the low hurdle of my brainpower. So you really are
an idiot.

Everything you say is nothing but your own
biased and ignorant opinions minus the truth. You have a habit of that.
Just making pronouncements and expecting that people accept them as
true. Just one thing, they do need to do true if anyone is going to
believe them. You have a lot of work to do. From now on try to get the
facts first then go from there.

Hawwke-ptooey

I'm just reacting to the utter nonsense you keep spouting. You really
are amusing. I've never seen someone so convinced that a poli sci BA
from an obscure school actually means you have something to contribute
to adult discourse.

In the first place it's only stupidity that would make you think that
simply a college degree gives me the ability to contribute to an adult
discussion.

My point is that you think so, when it obviously doesn't.

But you aren't even bright enough to even know what I think. I know you
are fabricating what I think because you don't know. But the bottom line
is you're making things up as fast as Gummer. We call that kind of thing
lying.

That's the least of it. My formal education is only a very
small part of the whole package. The package you know virtually nothing
about. But your conceit and overconfidence have prevented you from
leaning. All you show in your posts is that you have a lot to learn and
that for all your bragging you aren't half what you purport to be. Of
course, you could always change that by proving some of what you claim.
I won't hold my breath waiting for you to prove anything though.

Hawwke-ptooey

And I'm not going to hold my breath until you show you can contribute as
an adult.

Since you come across as a first class jerk with an out of control ego I
won't be waiting for you to change in any way. You are what you are and
I don't expect to see any improvement. You're in no position to say
anyone else is not an adult. When you grow up you can do that. You have
a ways to go.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/23/2012 2:35 PM, Hawwke-ptooey wrote:
On 1/22/2012 9:21 AM, David R. Birch wrote:

I don't know where you get the idea that I think anyone needs a college
degree.

It's more a question of your thinking that without a degree a person is,
by your standards, uneducated.

You can either be educated by an institution of higher learning or you
can be self educated. Either one can be very good, very bad, or anything
in between. Generally speaking, any time someone is referred to as
educated that means they have a formal education of some kind.
Funny that I need to explain such basic things to a genius.

I have never claimed to be a genius, just a lot smarter than you.

Pretty much what I've found. I've also seen quite a people like yourself
with a degree but little sign of being well educated.

As I have found quite a large number of men who believe they are
exceptional when in fact they are far from it. You are clearly an
average man masquerading as a superior one. Proof being you can't tell
an educated man when you see one.

I have no trouble identifying someone who considers them self educated
but then shows that they know little about what they majored in.

A liberal arts education is something different from vocational
training. Many college degrees are just job training. Not so with a
liberal arts degree.

Yes, this is often training to not have a job.

If that were a true statement then you would be correct for a change but
as usual you are wrong. Look at the statistics for employment and you
find that people with college degrees, and it doesn't matter in what,
are almost all employed. Millions of Americans have liberal arts degrees
and they have jobs too. Most of them making more than you do.

Not the ones who recently graduated.

Yes, it is often the difference between "do you want fries with that?"
and "would you like some fresh ground pepper on that?"

As if you would know anything about that. If you knew as much as you
think you do you would be someone to contend with. Unfortunately you're
just an ordinary guy that mistakenly thinks he is brilliant.
Dunning-Kruger in the flesh.

Nope, I have no trouble recognizing those smarter than I am. That
doesn't include anyone in the Hawwke-ptooey universe.

But he got the liberal education for something other
than what he got from his vocational training. One thing teaches you how
to do a job and the other makes you an educated man, and it's always an
advantage to be one of those even if you never make a lot of money in
your life. You got something that the uneducated never get. You know
what it is. They don't.

Hawwke-ptooey

Once again, having a poli sci BA from Podunk U. does not make one
"educated". It is where your education should have started, but ended,
instead.

My degree from a California State University is just one link in the
long chain of learning that gave me my education.

The last link, apparently. (Thanks for the setup.)

There is far more to
my education than you will ever know or appreciate. That's because
you're dumb. Regardless of what technical knowledge you may have or what
skill you may have with machines you have proven that in many ways you
are really just a dummy.

Hawwke-ptooey

So shallow you can't recognize when you're outclassed. Alas, I have
already wasted too much time trying to help you out. "You can lead a
fool to wisdom, but you can't make him think."

I'm reminded that I joined Mensa so I wouldn't need to deal with people
as clueless as you are. I guess my generous nature misled me into trying
to bring you some enlightenment.

Or not. Maybe my darker side just likes teasing the Village Idiot.

Don't bother replying unless you have something useful to say.

Not that that has ever happened.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/23/2012 5:56 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

You can either be educated by an institution of higher learning or you
can be self educated. Either one can be very good, very bad, or anything
in between. Generally speaking, any time someone is referred to as
educated that means they have a formal education of some kind.
Funny that I need to explain such basic things to a genius.

I have never claimed to be a genius, just a lot smarter than you.

Yes, I've heard you make that claim before. But as before you cannot
prove your claim, which makes it pretty much worthless.

Pretty much what I've found. I've also seen quite a people like yourself
with a degree but little sign of being well educated.

As I have found quite a large number of men who believe they are
exceptional when in fact they are far from it. You are clearly an
average man masquerading as a superior one. Proof being you can't tell
an educated man when you see one.

I have no trouble identifying someone who considers them self educated
but then shows that they know little about what they majored in.

Regardless of what I have told you I have in the way of an education you
have shown that you can't really tell what the reality is. You want to
pretend you are so great but when you deal with me you get it wrong. You
keep thinking that I only have a degree like you. I may have more than
that but you aren't bright enough to know that.

A liberal arts education is something different from vocational
training. Many college degrees are just job training. Not so with a
liberal arts degree.

Yes, this is often training to not have a job.

If that were a true statement then you would be correct for a change but
as usual you are wrong. Look at the statistics for employment and you
find that people with college degrees, and it doesn't matter in what,
are almost all employed. Millions of Americans have liberal arts degrees
and they have jobs too. Most of them making more than you do.

Not the ones who recently graduated.

Doesn't change that truth of my statement. The reason recent grads can't
find work is due to the recession. Most people with degrees have jobs.

Yes, it is often the difference between "do you want fries with that?"
and "would you like some fresh ground pepper on that?"

As if you would know anything about that. If you knew as much as you
think you do you would be someone to contend with. Unfortunately you're
just an ordinary guy that mistakenly thinks he is brilliant.
Dunning-Kruger in the flesh.

Nope, I have no trouble recognizing those smarter than I am. That
doesn't include anyone in the Hawwke-ptooey universe.

What you have shown is that you can't tell who is smart and who is not.

But he got the liberal education for something other
than what he got from his vocational training. One thing teaches you
how
to do a job and the other makes you an educated man, and it's always an
advantage to be one of those even if you never make a lot of money in
your life. You got something that the uneducated never get. You know
what it is. They don't.

Hawwke-ptooey

Once again, having a poli sci BA from Podunk U. does not make one
"educated". It is where your education should have started, but ended,
instead.

My degree from a California State University is just one link in the
long chain of learning that gave me my education.

The last link, apparently. (Thanks for the setup.)

Just one link in a long link. Longer than yours.

There is far more to
my education than you will ever know or appreciate. That's because
you're dumb. Regardless of what technical knowledge you may have or what
skill you may have with machines you have proven that in many ways you
are really just a dummy.

Hawwke-ptooey

So shallow you can't recognize when you're outclassed. Alas, I have
already wasted too much time trying to help you out. "You can lead a
fool to wisdom, but you can't make him think."

So out of touch you can't tell when you are dealing with someone with
more education than you have. That's you. Not only that I've never heard
any words of wisdom from you. You just have a lot of negativity and bile
to pass along. None of it is worth a turd.

I'm reminded that I joined Mensa so I wouldn't need to deal with people
as clueless as you are. I guess my generous nature misled me into trying
to bring you some enlightenment.

Yes, your belong to Mensa so that means you're brighter than all the
rest of us. Funny way of doing that. Not having one positive or
enlightening thing to say and a whole raft of personal insults. Yeah,
you've really shown your brilliance.

Or not. Maybe my darker side just likes teasing the Village Idiot.

Then stop with the self abuse. You're incapable of anything but making
yourself look like a fool. Nobody sees you as someone special or anyone
to listen to for your expertise. You sure haven't dispensed any wisdom
here. If you have I'd sure like some others to chime in and point out
all the awesome stuff you have said. It all seems so...average.

Don't bother replying unless you have something useful to say.

Not that that has ever happened.

Look who's talking. Not a peep out of you I would pass on to anyone.
That's how much you've offered up. If you ever do come up with anything
worth knowing don't feel shy about letting us know, okay?

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:51:16 -0800, Hawke
wrote:

[...]

Your analogy is flawed.

I hate to rain on your parade but neither a world class athlete nor a
professional level musician got to be at their levels without
extensive practice and in addition considerable experience in their
art.

Nobody comes out of the bushes and suddenly wins a major athletic
contest or walks on stage at the Metropolitan Opera and becomes an
overnight success.

--
John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Could be.

I hate to rain on your parade but neither a world class athlete nor a
professional level musician got to be at their levels without
extensive practice and in addition considerable experience in their
art.

Nobody comes out of the bushes and suddenly wins a major athletic
contest or walks on stage at the Metropolitan Opera and becomes an
overnight success.

I beg to differ. Ever see the movie the Rookie with Dennis Quaid or the
one with Mark Wahlberg where he played a bartender that played pro
football for the Philadelphia Eagles? Or how about that English woman
who was on American Idol and is now a big musical star? It happens.

But my point wasn't about exceptional people like them. It was about
people with really high IQs or other skills and talents who decide that
they aren't going to use them and instead take a run of the mill job.
I'm saying I just don't see that happening. If someone has great skill
or talent they want to use it while they can. Imagine if Tiger Woods
quit golf and got a job as a salesman. Can you see that happening? I can't.

People who can do exceptional things rarely keep it to themselves. When
you are born with a real gift I don't see those people keeping it under
wraps and not using it. Maybe you know of some examples that show
otherwise but I've never met a really smart person who instead of
choosing to be a scientist decided he'd rather be a mechanic. I'm sure
that kind of thing exists somewhere but it would be extremely rare.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 4:06*pm, Hawke wrote:

So you have no idea of your friends IQ.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

Not really and I don't care one way or the other. Of course, if I
believe someone is stupid I'm not going to be friends with them anyway.
I am more concerned with what kind of person someone is than how
intelligent they are. Lots of intelligent people I have known over the
years were jerks. So it pretty much means nothing to me. All that
matters to me is if I like the person and they like me.

Hawke

But ................

I said the more intelligent people were the most interesting to be
around. And then you said some of your friends with lower IQ's were
more interesting than the smarter friends. And now you say you really
do not know the IQ of any of your friends.

My experience is that the proportion of jerks is not any higher in
people with high IQ's than the general population. Maybe fewer jerks
in the high IQ group.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Jesus! Are you equating the Movies with reality?

But my point wasn't about exceptional people like them. It was about
people with really high IQs or other skills and talents who decide that
they aren't going to use them and instead take a run of the mill job.
I'm saying I just don't see that happening. If someone has great skill
or talent they want to use it while they can. Imagine if Tiger Woods
quit golf and got a job as a salesman. Can you see that happening? I can't.

Tiger Woods is an example of why you analogy is flawed. Tiger started
playing golf and being coached before almost before he could walk.
Frankly, I doubt that he was ever given a chance to decide whether he
would do something other then play golf.

People who can do exceptional things rarely keep it to themselves. When
you are born with a real gift I don't see those people keeping it under
wraps and not using it. Maybe you know of some examples that show
otherwise but I've never met a really smart person who instead of
choosing to be a scientist decided he'd rather be a mechanic. I'm sure
that kind of thing exists somewhere but it would be extremely rare.

Hawke

I was remarking only about your analogy of the super athlete who
preferred not to compete.

While you are likely correct when discussing people who have a chance
to make a choice, but not everyone has that, whether due to the
society in which they live or perhaps personal errors like marrying
early and having to take the first job that comes along to support the
wife and kids, etc.

As for the other way round, I've known people who had jobs that one
assumes must have been due to their intelligence - Had an uncle who
was the professor of chemistry at the University - that had as a hobby
something with perhaps requiring a lessor intelligence - my uncle
spent years breeding a better tasting strain of corn.

--
John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/23/2012 8:14 PM, Hawke wrote:
[...]

Once again you fail reading comprehension.

"Don't bother replying unless you have something useful to say."

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/24/2012 7:01 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

Hawke

Once again you fail reading comprehension.

"Don't bother replying unless you have something useful to say."

I'd say the same to you. Except that since you have never had anything
useful to say it's more appropriate to simply tell you to just not say
anything more at all.

Hawke