DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Montana Tractors (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/333928-montana-tractors.html)

Steve B[_13_] January 5th 12 01:08 AM

Montana Tractors

I have a chance to get a Montana tractor,, 4x4, loader, and backhoe. It has
approx. 300 hours on it. Model 4344, 43 HP. Low profile. It also comes
with 18' tandem trailer. Payment for a $20k deal. Not sure of NADA value,
or anything. 2008, IIRC.

Has anyone heard of this brand? I understand they are out of business, but
am not sure of the details yet .... merge .... went bust .... ??? Will have
to read what I can find. Looks hefty, and other than the seat, is in good
shape.

Any info appreciated.

Steve

Jon Elson[_3_] January 5th 12 08:18 PM

Montana Tractors

Steve B wrote:

I have a chance to get a Montana tractor,, 4x4, loader, and backhoe. It
has
approx. 300 hours on it. Model 4344, 43 HP. Low profile. It also comes
with 18' tandem trailer. Payment for a $20k deal. Not sure of NADA
value,
or anything. 2008, IIRC.

Has anyone heard of this brand? I understand they are out of business,
but
am not sure of the details yet .... merge .... went bust ....

Definitely check out the parts availability issue before doing anything!
It may be worthless as you can't get anything more unusual than a spark
plug or radiator hose for it, now.

Jon

Steve B[_13_] January 5th 12 08:48 PM

Montana Tractors

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

I have a chance to get a Montana tractor,, 4x4, loader, and backhoe. It
has
approx. 300 hours on it. Model 4344, 43 HP. Low profile. It also comes
with 18' tandem trailer. Payment for a $20k deal. Not sure of NADA
value,
or anything. 2008, IIRC.

Has anyone heard of this brand? I understand they are out of business,
but
am not sure of the details yet .... merge .... went bust ....

Definitely check out the parts availability issue before doing anything!
It may be worthless as you can't get anything more unusual than a spark
plug or radiator hose for it, now.

Jon

From what I'm reading, a couple of companies have merged, and lots of stuff
has been rebranded. Translates, parts interchangeability. My first concern
was buying an off brand, but this is at least Korean, originally made by LG,
and has a Mitsubishi engine.

I just talked with my friend, and the total package is: tractor, 18' tandem
trailer, front loader, backhoe, backbox, 6 way scraper blade and post hole
digger. And he'll put a new seat on it. $20k for all. 230 hours on it.

I can use it for a lot of work I've been wanting to do on my two acres, and
till now have been paying a relative to do with a smaller tractor. I can
easily get $5,000 worth of work out of it, possibly do some side work, and
it's probably the best shot I'll have at getting anything out of the
original deal without waiting 5-10 years. Legal stuff with a deep pocketed
corporation and all that.

Steve

[email protected] January 5th 12 10:43 PM

Montana Tractors

Steve - you might look at Craigslist & Ebay for used tractors to get a
sense of market value for used machines. When I looked, about 2 years ago,
there were lots of 30, 40, 50 & 60 hp tractors going for $2000-$6000 -
with addons too.

Hul

dpb January 5th 12 10:52 PM

Montana Tractors

On 1/5/2012 4:43 PM, wrote:
Steve - you might look at Craigslist& Ebay for used tractors to get a
sense of market value for used machines. When I looked, about 2 years ago,
there were lots of 30, 40, 50& 60 hp tractors going for $2000-$6000 -
with addons too.

I'll bet darn few of them had anything even remotely close to 300 hrs on
them at that price...

Ecnerwal[_3_] January 5th 12 11:16 PM

Montana Tractors

In article , dpb wrote:

On 1/5/2012 4:43 PM, wrote:
Steve - you might look at Craigslist& Ebay for used tractors to get a
sense of market value for used machines. When I looked, about 2 years ago,
there were lots of 30, 40, 50& 60 hp tractors going for $2000-$6000 -
with addons too.

I'll bet darn few of them had anything even remotely close to 300 hrs on
them at that price...

--

....but they probably have a lot more useful hours left in them than a
tractor misleadingly named Montana with a (defunct) head office in

[email protected] January 6th 12 01:08 AM

Montana Tractors

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:08:18 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

I have a chance to get a Montana tractor,, 4x4, loader, and backhoe. It has
approx. 300 hours on it. Model 4344, 43 HP. Low profile. It also comes
with 18' tandem trailer. Payment for a $20k deal. Not sure of NADA value,
or anything. 2008, IIRC.

Has anyone heard of this brand? I understand they are out of business, but
am not sure of the details yet .... merge .... went bust .... ??? Will have
to read what I can find. Looks hefty, and other than the seat, is in good
shape.

Any info appreciated.

Steve

I once had a Mitsubishi. Try these folks. they had everything I ever
needed.

http://www.southern-global.com/

dpb January 6th 12 01:24 AM

Montana Tractors

On 1/5/2012 5:16 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In , wrote:

On 1/5/2012 4:43 PM, wrote:
Steve - you might look at Craigslist& Ebay for used tractors to get a
sense of market value for used machines. When I looked, about 2 years ago,
there were lots of 30, 40, 50& 60 hp tractors going for $2000-$6000 -
with addons too.

I'll bet darn few of them had anything even remotely close to 300 hrs on
them at that price...

--

...but they probably have a lot more useful hours left in them than a
tractor misleadingly named Montana with a (defunct) head office in
Arkansas and extremely good odds of the factory having been in China or
perhaps Korea. And much better parts support to keep them running.

Some may, but compared to off eBay at $5k & take your chances I'd take
the green one I could see hands down, 'cuz most aren't that likely or
wouldn't be on eBay, they'd still be at work.

The Mitsubishi diesel is in quite a few of those as well and it compares
quite well against the Yanmar which is in a sizable number of other
utility tractors including JD. There are no 40 hp utilities in the US
that aren't mostly import parts; perhaps partly assembled in NA.