Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 16:42:51 -0800 (PST), Day Brown
wrote:

The offices of the schools in my neck of Ozark woods have a pine
paddle hung on the wall. When you bring a kid to register, they give
you a form to fill out if you do not want it used on your kid. But no
bully'd let a parent wimp him out like that.

If a kid is disruptive or cant pay attention, then he's hauled to the
principal's office where the paddle is rapidly applied to the maximus
glutamous. Somehow, this stimulation at the bottom end of the spinal
cord affects the functioning of the top end, and as a result these
schools dont have ADHD, ADD, Autism, or whatever, and dont use drugs.

They also have dropout rates in the single digits, classes that score
half a year ahead of the national average, graduation rates over 90%,
and attendance at 95%.

But dont tell the Liberals; it'd ruin their day.


You must be reaping the benefits of that tiny gene pool.

--
Ed Huntress
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,984
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream,"How will we drug our brats?"

On Jan 3, 9:56*am, Ed Huntress wrote:


You must be reaping the benefits of that tiny gene pool.

--
Ed Huntress


It did not seem to have any bad effects. I think that every kid in my
class went to college. At least three went to Ivy league schools.


Dan

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 09:10:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 3, 9:56*am, Ed Huntress wrote:


You must be reaping the benefits of that tiny gene pool.

--
Ed Huntress


It did not seem to have any bad effects. I think that every kid in my
class went to college. At least three went to Ivy league schools.


The OP loon may or may not tell us what district he was talking about,
but Arkansas and Missouri have fairly sad educational performance
rankings overall. Their SAT scores look very good -- until you learn
that only 5% of the graduating seniors in each state even *take* the
SATs. So you look at the ACT scores, and they're below average for the
country.

If they ignore ADHD and ADD, and pretend to paddle the autism out of
kids, the low scores are not a surprise. BTW, those states are well
above average in ADHD diagnoses.

The loon is either a liar or he's a little nuts. As you know, my wife
is a special-ed teacher and I see kids on the autism scale every week.
Autism is not something you can paddle out of kids. You may make them
withdraw until you don't notice them. You can paddle them into a state
of catatonia, which is what they used to do in many places, and what
they may still do in the Ozarks. That's not a cure, it's just ignorant
adults engaging their stupidity and self-delusion and destroying those
kids' lives.

Find out what you're talking about before jumping on, Dan. And be wary
of any reports from a part of the country where your son or daughter
may also be your wife's second cousin.

--
Ed Huntress
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,984
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream,"How will we drug our brats?"

On Jan 3, 5:21*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:


The OP loon may or may not tell us what district he was talking about,
but Arkansas and Missouri have fairly sad educational performance
rankings overall. Their SAT scores look very good -- until you learn
that only 5% of the graduating seniors in each state even *take* the
SATs. So you look at the ACT scores, and they're below average for the
country.

If they ignore ADHD and ADD, and pretend to paddle the autism out of
kids, the low scores are not a surprise. BTW, those states are well
above average in ADHD diagnoses.

The loon is either a liar or he's a little nuts. As you know, my wife
is a special-ed teacher and I see kids on the autism scale every week.
Autism is not something you can paddle out of kids. You may make them
withdraw until you don't notice them. You can paddle them into a state
of catatonia, which is what they used to do in many places, and what
they may still do in the Ozarks. That's not a cure, it's just ignorant
adults engaging their stupidity and self-delusion and destroying those
kids' lives.

Find out what you're talking about before jumping on, Dan. And be wary
of any reports from a part of the country where your son or daughter
may also be your wife's second cousin.

--
Ed Huntress


I believe I know a lot more about this than you do regardless of your
spouse's occupation. As I wrote earlier I went to a grade school
where kids were spanked. But it was a rare occurrence. Day Brown
did not say anything that would indicate the paddle was used often.
And I think the bit about kids not having ADHD etc was that the kids
do not get diagnosed as ADHD when they are really just normal kids
bored with being in school. I do not think he thought that spanking
cured real problems. But kids that were bored with school did not get
diagnosed as having ADHD, when they really just were not paying
attention and knew they could get away with not paying attention.

I can remember a kid hitting a smaller girl in our yard. I told him
not to do that, and a little later he did it again. So I gave him a
couple of spanks on the rear. And what do you know, he never hit a
smaller kid again in our yard. Kids are not stupid. But sometimes
they think that no one will do anything about bad behavior.

I looked up ADHD by state and note that Ma, Me, Pa, were some of the
states with the highest levels. And N.J. is higher than Texas and
Calif. So I will be wary of any reports from the North East.

_It is interesting to see that according to the government no state
has less than 5.6 % of the students with ADHD.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html

Dan

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 18:12:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 3, 5:21*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:


The OP loon may or may not tell us what district he was talking about,
but Arkansas and Missouri have fairly sad educational performance
rankings overall. Their SAT scores look very good -- until you learn
that only 5% of the graduating seniors in each state even *take* the
SATs. So you look at the ACT scores, and they're below average for the
country.

If they ignore ADHD and ADD, and pretend to paddle the autism out of
kids, the low scores are not a surprise. BTW, those states are well
above average in ADHD diagnoses.

The loon is either a liar or he's a little nuts. As you know, my wife
is a special-ed teacher and I see kids on the autism scale every week.
Autism is not something you can paddle out of kids. You may make them
withdraw until you don't notice them. You can paddle them into a state
of catatonia, which is what they used to do in many places, and what
they may still do in the Ozarks. That's not a cure, it's just ignorant
adults engaging their stupidity and self-delusion and destroying those
kids' lives.

Find out what you're talking about before jumping on, Dan. And be wary
of any reports from a part of the country where your son or daughter
may also be your wife's second cousin.

--
Ed Huntress


I believe I know a lot more about this than you do regardless of your
spouse's occupation. As I wrote earlier I went to a grade school
where kids were spanked. But it was a rare occurrence.


How would you know, Dan? I attended elementary school in the '50s in
Hagerstown, MD, and Columbia County, PA, both of which had paddles on
the wall -- which were sometimes used.

Day Brown
did not say anything that would indicate the paddle was used often.
And I think the bit about kids not having ADHD etc was that the kids
do not get diagnosed as ADHD when they are really just normal kids
bored with being in school. I do not think he thought that spanking
cured real problems.


HUH? You read what you want to see, as usual. Here's what he actually
said:

"Somehow, this stimulation at the bottom end of the spinal
cord affects the functioning of the top end, and as a result these
schools dont have ADHD, ADD, Autism, or whatever, and dont use drugs.

But kids that were bored with school did not get
diagnosed as having ADHD, when they really just were not paying
attention and knew they could get away with not paying attention.


See above. He said it was a result of paddling.


I can remember a kid hitting a smaller girl in our yard. I told him
not to do that, and a little later he did it again. So I gave him a
couple of spanks on the rear. And what do you know, he never hit a
smaller kid again in our yard. Kids are not stupid. But sometimes
they think that no one will do anything about bad behavior.


So what does that have to do with ADHD, ADD, or autism?


I looked up ADHD by state and note that Ma, Me, Pa, were some of the
states with the highest levels. And N.J. is higher than Texas and
Calif. So I will be wary of any reports from the North East.


You missed the point. Brown said they didn't have any ADHD because
they paddle the kids. But both of the Ozark states have above-average
rates of ADHD. So he needs to explain.

No one said there aren't other states with ADHD.


_It is interesting to see that according to the government no state
has less than 5.6 % of the students with ADHD.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html


Why is that interesting?

Brown is a loon who's claiming that he's found a cure for autism --
paddling. There are millions of people out there who can testify that
he's nuts. He doesn't understand the condition, and he's talking
through his hat.

--
Ed Huntress


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,984
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream,"How will we drug our brats?"

On Jan 4, 7:46*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:



HUH? You read what you want to see, as usual. Here's what he actually
said:

"Somehow, this stimulation at the bottom end of the spinal
cord affects the functioning of the top end, and as a result these
schools dont have ADHD, ADD, Autism, or whatever, and dont use drugs.

Right, and do you think he really meant the schools had absolutely no
ADHD? Well it is obvious that you do think he was being literal. And
you may be right, but I think he was saying the schools did not
tolerate bullies and lazy students.


But kids that were bored with school did not get
diagnosed as having ADHD, when they really just were not paying
attention and knew they could get away with not paying attention.


See above. He said it was a result of paddling.

He also mentioned bullies...........


I can remember a kid hitting a smaller girl in our yard. *I told him
not to do that, and a little later he did it again. *So I gave him a
couple of spanks on the rear. *And what do you know, he never hit a
smaller kid again in our yard. *Kids are not stupid. *But sometimes
they think that no one will do anything about bad behavior.


So what does that have to do with ADHD, ADD, or autism?

Nothing to do with ADHD, everything to do with kids doing what they
can get away with.


I looked up ADHD by state and note that Ma, Me, Pa, were some of the
states with the highest levels. *And N.J. is higher than Texas and
Calif. *So I will be wary of any reports from the North East.


You missed the point. Brown said they didn't have any ADHD because
they paddle the kids. But both of the Ozark states have above-average
rates of ADHD. So he needs to explain.

Maybe he will.


_It is interesting to see that according to the government no state
has less than 5.6 % *of the students with ADHD.


http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html


Why is that interesting?

Things like that are interesting to me. Maybe they are not to you.
But a rate of over 5% means that more than one out of twenty have
ADHD. It seems like a pretty high number to me. At that rate I
should have known dozens of kids with ADHD. And I did not.

Brown is a loon who's claiming that he's found a cure for autism --
paddling. There are millions of people out there who can testify that
he's nuts. He doesn't understand the condition, and he's talking
through his hat.

Yep, I think he was talking through his hat. But I do not think he
really believes that paddling cures ADHD. Maybe that some kids have a
tendency to goof off and that can be attenuated with an attitude that
does not tolerate goofing off. He also said the kids did really well
in school.

They also have dropout rates in the single digits, classes that score
half a year ahead of the national average, graduation rates over 90%,
and attendance at 95%.


Dan

--
Ed Huntress


  #7   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:20:33 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 4, 7:46*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:



HUH? You read what you want to see, as usual. Here's what he actually
said:

"Somehow, this stimulation at the bottom end of the spinal
cord affects the functioning of the top end, and as a result these
schools dont have ADHD, ADD, Autism, or whatever, and dont use drugs.

Right, and do you think he really meant the schools had absolutely no
ADHD? Well it is obvious that you do think he was being literal. And
you may be right, but I think he was saying the schools did not
tolerate bullies and lazy students.


Dan, what he said is that they paddle kids and the result is they have
no autism in their school. Autism is a neurological disorder, not a
discipline problem.

You're defending a nut.



But kids that were bored with school did not get
diagnosed as having ADHD, when they really just were not paying
attention and knew they could get away with not paying attention.


See above. He said it was a result of paddling.

He also mentioned bullies...........


I can remember a kid hitting a smaller girl in our yard. *I told him
not to do that, and a little later he did it again. *So I gave him a
couple of spanks on the rear. *And what do you know, he never hit a
smaller kid again in our yard. *Kids are not stupid. *But sometimes
they think that no one will do anything about bad behavior.


So what does that have to do with ADHD, ADD, or autism?

Nothing to do with ADHD, everything to do with kids doing what they
can get away with.


My argument with Brown is that he's claiming that they've paddled the
ADHD, the ADD, and the autism out of kids in his school. He's a
dangerous nut case.



I looked up ADHD by state and note that Ma, Me, Pa, were some of the
states with the highest levels. *And N.J. is higher than Texas and
Calif. *So I will be wary of any reports from the North East.


You missed the point. Brown said they didn't have any ADHD because
they paddle the kids. But both of the Ozark states have above-average
rates of ADHD. So he needs to explain.

Maybe he will.


_It is interesting to see that according to the government no state
has less than 5.6 % *of the students with ADHD.


http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html


Why is that interesting?

Things like that are interesting to me. Maybe they are not to you.
But a rate of over 5% means that more than one out of twenty have
ADHD. It seems like a pretty high number to me. At that rate I
should have known dozens of kids with ADHD. And I did not.


You probably did. I remember them. The ones at the high end of the
scale were the ones who acted up, who kept going to the principle's
office, and wound up dropping out of school as soon as they could.

The ones at the bottom end were the "dumb" kids. Nobody knew any
better.

There is some evidence that the condition is growing. The same is true
with many conditions, especially life-threatening food allergies and
Type I diabetes. When my son was diagnosed with Type I, at age 3, he
started school as the only diabetic in the district. Now there are
four. Nobody knows why for sure.


Brown is a loon who's claiming that he's found a cure for autism --
paddling. There are millions of people out there who can testify that
he's nuts. He doesn't understand the condition, and he's talking
through his hat.

Yep, I think he was talking through his hat. But I do not think he
really believes that paddling cures ADHD.


Well, that's what he said. So he's just a bull****ter.

Maybe that some kids have a
tendency to goof off and that can be attenuated with an attitude that
does not tolerate goofing off. He also said the kids did really well
in school.


Yes, some kids who act up can be corrected with discipline. Those
aren't ADD or ADHD "classified" kids.

No school district wants to have more classified kids. They can cost a
fortune to educate. And, under Section 504 of federal law and the IDEA
act, the public schools have to teach them. My wife's classes often
consist of four students. If the school can't handle the kid, they
have some send him to a private school. We pay at least $40,000/year
for that (two that I know of cost us over $100,000/yr.) and less than
half of that is compensated by the state and the feds. It comes
straight out of the district budget.

Nobody has good answers. Ignoramuses like Brown just make the whole
thing worse by turning it into a political or culture-clash football.


They also have dropout rates in the single digits, classes that score
half a year ahead of the national average, graduation rates over 90%,
and attendance at 95%.


So he says. I don't believe he really knows.

A graduation rate of 90% sucks. That's a hillbilly school. Our high
school graduation rate is 99.4%:

http://education.state.nj.us/rc/nclb...3;d=3120;s=050

--
Ed Huntress
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,984
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream,"How will we drug our brats?"

On Jan 5, 12:25*am, Ed Huntress wrote:

Dan, what he said is that they paddle kids and the result is they have
no autism in their school. Autism is a neurological disorder, not a
discipline problem.

You're defending a nut.

I think he was exaggerating for effect. You probably think Gunner is
serious when he posts about the great cull too.





But kids that were bored with school did not get
diagnosed as having ADHD, when they really just were not paying
attention and knew they could get away with not paying attention.


See above. He said it was a result of paddling.


He also mentioned bullies...........


I can remember a kid hitting a smaller girl in our yard. *I told him
not to do that, and a little later he did it again. *So I gave him a
couple of spanks on the rear. *And what do you know, he never hit a
smaller kid again in our yard. *Kids are not stupid. *But sometimes
they think that no one will do anything about bad behavior.


So what does that have to do with ADHD, ADD, or autism?


Nothing to do with ADHD, everything to do with kids doing what they
can get away with.


My argument with Brown is that he's claiming that they've paddled the
ADHD, the ADD, and the autism out of kids in his school. He's a
dangerous nut case.


Explain how he is dangerous. He posts about something that is almost
surely an exaggeration of what the reality is. He does not go so far
as to say other schools should do this and I think that all schools
now are afraid to even think of hitting a kid, much less actually do
it. So how is he dangerous. Dangerous because he posts something on
RCM that is controversial?





You missed the point. Brown said they didn't have any ADHD because
they paddle the kids. But both of the Ozark states have above-average
rates of ADHD. So he needs to explain.


Maybe he will.


_It is interesting to see that according to the government no state
has less than 5.6 % *of the students with ADHD.


http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html


Why is that interesting?


Things like that are interesting to me. *Maybe they are not to you.
But a rate of over 5% means that more than one out of twenty have
ADHD. *It seems like a pretty high number to me. *At that rate I
should have known dozens of kids with ADHD. *And I did not.


You probably did. I remember them. The ones at the high end of the
scale were the ones who acted up, who kept going to the principle's
office, and wound up dropping out of school as soon as they could.

I did not know anyone who went to the principals office out of any of
my classes. I did know of one or two in the whole school that got
sent to the principals office maybe two or three times while they were
in grade school. One of them may have gone on to become a U.S.
Senator. Do not remember but one kid that probably dropped out of
school.




The ones at the bottom end were the "dumb" kids. Nobody knew any
better.

There is some evidence that the condition is growing. The same is true
with many conditions, especially life-threatening food allergies and
Type I diabetes. When my son was diagnosed with Type I, at age 3, he
started school as the only diabetic in the district. Now there are
four. Nobody knows why for sure.



Brown is a loon who's claiming that he's found a cure for autism --
paddling. There are millions of people out there who can testify that
he's nuts. He doesn't understand the condition, and he's talking
through his hat.


I just think he is trolling and caught you.


Yep, I think he was talking through his hat. *But I do not think he
really believes that paddling cures ADHD.


Well, that's what he said. So he's just a bull****ter.


As are a lot of the people that post off topic things on RCM.

Maybe that some kids have a
tendency to goof off and that can be attenuated with an attitude that
does not tolerate goofing off. *He also said the kids did really well
in school.


Yes, some kids who act up can be corrected with discipline. Those
aren't ADD or ADHD "classified" kids.

No school district wants to have more classified kids. They can cost a
fortune to educate. And, under Section 504 of federal law and the IDEA
act, the public schools have to teach them. My wife's classes often
consist of four students. If the school can't handle the kid, they
have some send him to a private school. We pay at least $40,000/year
for that (two that I know of cost us over $100,000/yr.) and less than
half of that is compensated by the state and the feds. It comes
straight out of the district budget.

So?

Nobody has good answers. Ignoramuses like Brown just make the whole
thing worse by turning it into a political or culture-clash football.



They also have dropout rates in the single digits, classes that score
half a year ahead of the national average, graduation rates over 90%,
and attendance at 95%.


So he says. I don't believe he really knows.

A graduation rate of 90% sucks. That's a hillbilly school. Our high
school graduation rate is 99.4%:


But I will bet there are a number of high schools in New Jersey that
have graduation rates of less than 50%. Lots of hillbillies in NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/new.../0307dini2.htm



--
Ed Huntress


  #9   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:01:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 5, 12:25*am, Ed Huntress wrote:

Dan, what he said is that they paddle kids and the result is they have
no autism in their school. Autism is a neurological disorder, not a
discipline problem.

You're defending a nut.

I think he was exaggerating for effect. You probably think Gunner is
serious when he posts about the great cull too.


I think he's a nut. Gunner just blows smoke to promote his Walter
Mitty fantasies.






But kids that were bored with school did not get
diagnosed as having ADHD, when they really just were not paying
attention and knew they could get away with not paying attention.


See above. He said it was a result of paddling.


He also mentioned bullies...........


I can remember a kid hitting a smaller girl in our yard. *I told him
not to do that, and a little later he did it again. *So I gave him a
couple of spanks on the rear. *And what do you know, he never hit a
smaller kid again in our yard. *Kids are not stupid. *But sometimes
they think that no one will do anything about bad behavior.


So what does that have to do with ADHD, ADD, or autism?


Nothing to do with ADHD, everything to do with kids doing what they
can get away with.


My argument with Brown is that he's claiming that they've paddled the
ADHD, the ADD, and the autism out of kids in his school. He's a
dangerous nut case.


Explain how he is dangerous. He posts about something that is almost
surely an exaggeration of what the reality is. He does not go so far
as to say other schools should do this and I think that all schools
now are afraid to even think of hitting a kid, much less actually do
it. So how is he dangerous. Dangerous because he posts something on
RCM that is controversial?


Dangerous because some people undoubtedly believe him. I've seen his
type at Board of Ed meetings.

We had a group like that here, who went under the acronym "TREE." I
forget what it stood for. They elected three board members by rallying
the seniors and busing them to the polls. I started editorializing
about the TREE Stooges. g They all lost the next election. One moved
out of town.

All it takes for that crap to take hold is that decent people remain
silent.






You missed the point. Brown said they didn't have any ADHD because
they paddle the kids. But both of the Ozark states have above-average
rates of ADHD. So he needs to explain.


Maybe he will.


_It is interesting to see that according to the government no state
has less than 5.6 % *of the students with ADHD.


http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html


Why is that interesting?


Things like that are interesting to me. *Maybe they are not to you.
But a rate of over 5% means that more than one out of twenty have
ADHD. *It seems like a pretty high number to me. *At that rate I
should have known dozens of kids with ADHD. *And I did not.


You probably did. I remember them. The ones at the high end of the
scale were the ones who acted up, who kept going to the principle's
office, and wound up dropping out of school as soon as they could.

I did not know anyone who went to the principals office out of any of
my classes. I did know of one or two in the whole school that got
sent to the principals office maybe two or three times while they were
in grade school.


Where did you go to school, Goody Two-Shoes Junior High? g In
Hagerstown, I think the principal should have had a revolving door.

One of them may have gone on to become a U.S.
Senator.


Isn't he sure?

Do not remember but one kid that probably dropped out of
school.


We had three or four even at Princeton High School, which at the time
was one of the best public high schools in the country.





The ones at the bottom end were the "dumb" kids. Nobody knew any
better.

There is some evidence that the condition is growing. The same is true
with many conditions, especially life-threatening food allergies and
Type I diabetes. When my son was diagnosed with Type I, at age 3, he
started school as the only diabetic in the district. Now there are
four. Nobody knows why for sure.



Brown is a loon who's claiming that he's found a cure for autism --
paddling. There are millions of people out there who can testify that
he's nuts. He doesn't understand the condition, and he's talking
through his hat.


I just think he is trolling and caught you.


I think he's just pushing to see what he can get away with, promoting
his paleocon agenda. He almost did. He even trolled up a defender --
you. Congratulations.



Yep, I think he was talking through his hat. *But I do not think he
really believes that paddling cures ADHD.


Well, that's what he said. So he's just a bull****ter.


As are a lot of the people that post off topic things on RCM.

Maybe that some kids have a
tendency to goof off and that can be attenuated with an attitude that
does not tolerate goofing off. *He also said the kids did really well
in school.


Yes, some kids who act up can be corrected with discipline. Those
aren't ADD or ADHD "classified" kids.

No school district wants to have more classified kids. They can cost a
fortune to educate. And, under Section 504 of federal law and the IDEA
act, the public schools have to teach them. My wife's classes often
consist of four students. If the school can't handle the kid, they
have some send him to a private school. We pay at least $40,000/year
for that (two that I know of cost us over $100,000/yr.) and less than
half of that is compensated by the state and the feds. It comes
straight out of the district budget.

So?


So the implication that there is an excessive tendency to
over-diagnose ADHD, ADD, and autism is so much crap. In fact, if you
had researched the literature, you'd know that ADD and ADHD are
under-diagnosed where the final diagnosis is made in a one-on-one
review by a neurologist, such as here in NJ. The reason is based on
the nature of the condition itself.

No district wants to over-diagnose. It can cost them a fortune.


Nobody has good answers. Ignoramuses like Brown just make the whole
thing worse by turning it into a political or culture-clash football.



They also have dropout rates in the single digits, classes that score
half a year ahead of the national average, graduation rates over 90%,
and attendance at 95%.


So he says. I don't believe he really knows.

A graduation rate of 90% sucks. That's a hillbilly school. Our high
school graduation rate is 99.4%:


But I will bet there are a number of high schools in New Jersey that
have graduation rates of less than 50%. Lots of hillbillies in NJ.


Betting isn't the way to understanding. And we don't even have hills
worth mentioning, let alone hillbillies. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress


http://www.state.nj.us/education/new.../0307dini2.htm



--
Ed Huntress

  #10   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,984
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream,"How will we drug our brats?"

On Jan 5, 10:05*am, Ed Huntress wrote:

I think he's a nut. Gunner just blows smoke to promote his Walter
Mitty fantasies.


And I do not think he is a nut. So the average opinion is zero.







Dangerous because some people undoubtedly believe him. I've seen his
type at Board of Ed meetings.

I strongl[y suspect those people did not get their beliefs from Day
Brown.

We had a group like that here, who went under the acronym "TREE." I
forget what it stood for. They elected three board members by rallying
the seniors and busing them to the polls. I started editorializing
about the TREE Stooges. g They all lost the next election. One moved
out of town.


As you say not relevast.


http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html





Where did you go to school, Goody Two-Shoes Junior High? g In
Hagerstown, I think the principal should have had a revolving door.


Irrelevant.

One of them may have gone on to become a U.S.
Senator.


Isn't he sure?


I am sure one of the kids in a class above mine went on to become a
U.S. Senator. I know that class had a bunch of rowdy boys, but can
not remember which ones got sent to the principals office.


Do not remember but one kid that probably dropped out of
school.


We had three or four even at Princeton High School, which at the time
was one of the best public high schools in the country.


You do remember I was referring to grade school?





Brown is a loon who's claiming that he's found a cure for autism --
paddling. There are millions of people out there who can testify that
he's nuts. He doesn't understand the condition, and he's talking
through his hat.


He never claimed to have found anything. He stated what he said were
how things were, but made no claims.


I just think he is trolling and caught you.


I think he's just pushing to see what he can get away with, promoting
his paleocon agenda. He almost did. He even trolled up a defender --
you. Congratulations.

Not a defender. Just someone that thinks you reacted to a troll.


Well, that's what he said. So he's just a bull****ter.


As are a lot of the people that post off topic things on RCM.



Yes, some kids who act up can be corrected with discipline. Those
aren't ADD or ADHD "classified" kids.


No school district wants to have more classified kids. They can cost a
fortune to educate. And, under Section 504 of federal law and the IDEA
act, the public schools have to teach them. My wife's classes often
consist of four students. If the school can't handle the kid, they
have some send him to a private school. We pay at least $40,000/year
for that (two that I know of cost us over $100,000/yr.) and less than
half of that is compensated by the state and the feds. It comes
straight out of the district budget.


So?


So the implication that there is an excessive tendency to
over-diagnose ADHD, ADD, and autism is so much crap. In fact, if you
had researched the literature, you'd know that ADD and ADHD are
under-diagnosed where the final diagnosis is made in a one-on-one
review by a neurologist, such as here in NJ. The reason is based on
the nature of the condition itself.

No district wants to over-diagnose. It can cost them a fortune.


My " So " was because all that is not relevant.



Nobody has good answers. Ignoramuses like Brown just make the whole
thing worse by turning it into a political or culture-clash football.


They also have dropout rates in the single digits, classes that score
half a year ahead of the national average, graduation rates over 90%,
and attendance at 95%.


So he says. I don't believe he really knows.


I got the impression that you do not believe anything he said.

A graduation rate of 90% sucks. That's a hillbilly school. Our high
school graduation rate is 99.4%:



His actual words were over 90%. 99.4 % is over 90%. So his statement
would be true for your local high school.

But I will bet there are a number of high schools in New Jersey that
have graduation rates of less than 50%. * Lots of hillbillies in NJ.


Betting isn't the way to understanding. And we don't even have hills
worth mentioning, let alone hillbillies. d8-)

The word bet just implies a confidence in the statement. And while
you may not have any hills, you do have a bunch of hillbillies.

Dan

--
Ed Huntress



http://www.state.nj.us/education/new.../0307dini2.htm



  #11   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:59:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:


snip


I got the impression that you do not believe anything he said.


You got that right. Now we can leave it.

--
Ed Huntress
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,399
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:01:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:


A graduation rate of 90% sucks. That's a hillbilly school. Our high
school graduation rate is 99.4%:


But I will bet there are a number of high schools in New Jersey that
have graduation rates of less than 50%. Lots of hillbillies in NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/new.../0307dini2.htm


Point..set and match.....VBG


One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that,
in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers
and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are
not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.
Gunner Asch
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:10:25 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:01:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:


A graduation rate of 90% sucks. That's a hillbilly school. Our high
school graduation rate is 99.4%:


But I will bet there are a number of high schools in New Jersey that
have graduation rates of less than 50%. Lots of hillbillies in NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/new.../0307dini2.htm


Point..set and match.....VBG


"N.J. high school graduation rate is highest in the nation, review
says"

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...tion_rate.html

What is the "number" of high schools with graduation rates of less
than 50%? It looks like a case of a wild-guesser leading a moron to
me.

Stay away from tennis, BTW. You really suck at it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,984
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream,"How will we drug our brats?"

On Jan 5, 2:28*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:10:25 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:01:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:


A graduation rate of 90% sucks. That's a hillbilly school. Our high
school graduation rate is 99.4%:


But I will bet there are a number of high schools in New Jersey that
have graduation rates of less than 50%. * Lots of hillbillies in NJ.


http://www.state.nj.us/education/new.../0307dini2.htm


Point..set and match.....VBG


"N.J. high school graduation rate is highest in the nation, review
says"

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._graduation_ra...

What is the "number" of high schools with graduation rates of less
than 50%? It looks like a case of a wild-guesser leading a moron to
me.

Stay away from tennis, BTW. You really suck at it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress


Well I looked at the website you cited. The graduation rate for N.J.
was 86.9 % in 2008. That is below the 90% rate you claimed was hill
billy schooling. With your high school up at the 99.4 % , then there
must have been some real low graduation rates elsewhere it lower the
average to 86.9 %.

You may be right about Day Brown being a nut case. He posted over
2300 times in May of 2009. Fortunately not in RCM. In 2011 there
were 4 months when he did not post at all.

Dan
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 19:10:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 5, 2:28*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:10:25 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:01:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:


A graduation rate of 90% sucks. That's a hillbilly school. Our high
school graduation rate is 99.4%:


But I will bet there are a number of high schools in New Jersey that
have graduation rates of less than 50%. * Lots of hillbillies in NJ.


http://www.state.nj.us/education/new.../0307dini2.htm


Point..set and match.....VBG


"N.J. high school graduation rate is highest in the nation, review
says"

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._graduation_ra...

What is the "number" of high schools with graduation rates of less
than 50%? It looks like a case of a wild-guesser leading a moron to
me.

Stay away from tennis, BTW. You really suck at it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress


Well I looked at the website you cited. The graduation rate for N.J.
was 86.9 % in 2008. That is below the 90% rate you claimed was hill
billy schooling. With your high school up at the 99.4 % , then there
must have been some real low graduation rates elsewhere it lower the
average to 86.9 %.


You're looking at two different things. The traditional measure, and
the one used for that No Child Left Behind report card I linked to for
my local high school, is based on the percentage of entering *seniors*
who graduate. That's where the 99.4% comes from, and, for NJ overall,
it's 94.7%, IIRC.

The state comparisons are based on a figure preferred in education
research, which is based on the number of entering *freshmen* who
graduate. That's where the state figure of 86.9% for NJ comes from.

In general, they don't use the latter method for individual school
districts because it's impossible to get an accurate figure, due to
moving or transferring students, enrollment in county vo-techs and
other specialty schools (we have an arts school in my county, in
addition to the vo-tech), and so on. The freshmen figure works Ok in
large aggregates. They're trying to measure the early dropouts but
it's all tangled up with those other things I mentioned above. If you
know that, the entering-freshmen graduation rate serves as a
reasonable comparison among states, even though it's not good as an
absolute figure. Individual school reports and school-by-school
comparisons are still done on the entering-seniors basis.

That may change. For now, though, that's what you're looking at. On
either basis, New Jersey has the highest graduating percentage, and we
don't use a dumbed-down series of state tests (unlike Missouri, for
example) just to graduate more kids and to get better NCLB scores. Our
kids generally score fourth or fifth on the nationwide tests;
sometimes better.


You may be right about Day Brown being a nut case. He posted over
2300 times in May of 2009. Fortunately not in RCM. In 2011 there
were 4 months when he did not post at all.


Well, you know where the kind of pitch he made typically comes from.
It's wishful thinking from a paleocon, reactionary mindset, bolstered
with delusions or pure bull. For example, there's no way I've ever
heard of to determine that kids in one school are generally a
"half-year ahead" of others. I read a fair number of studies from ERIC
and I've never heard of such a measurement. It's off-the-cuff and
imaginary.

--
Ed Huntress


Dan



  #16   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,984
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream,"How will we drug our brats?"

On Jan 5, 11:12*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:





You're looking at two different things. The traditional measure, and
the one used for that No Child Left Behind report card I linked to for
my local high school, is based on the percentage of entering *seniors*
who graduate. That's where the 99.4% comes from, and, for NJ overall,
it's 94.7%, IIRC.


I thought you posted both url's.

Dan
  #17   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,529
Default Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?"

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 05:32:18 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 5, 11:12*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:





You're looking at two different things. The traditional measure, and
the one used for that No Child Left Behind report card I linked to for
my local high school, is based on the percentage of entering *seniors*
who graduate. That's where the 99.4% comes from, and, for NJ overall,
it's 94.7%, IIRC.


I thought you posted both url's.


Huh? I posted one to the NCLB report card and another to an article.
They were about different things. One was about the school-by-school
graduation rates of one particular school, and the other was about
comparative state rankings of graduation rates. They use the two
different measures that I described.

--
Ed Huntress
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shortage of ADHD drug Adderall seen persisting, liberals scream, "How will we drug our brats?" Ed Huntress Metalworking 3 January 3rd 12 01:01 AM
OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives" William Wixon Metalworking 3 June 16th 09 07:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"