DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone have a PEMserter machine handy? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/333395-anyone-have-pemserter-machine-handy.html)

Spehro Pefhany December 23rd 11 06:38 PM

Anyone have a PEMserter machine handy?

I would like to know the typical diameter of the punch/anvil where it
goes into the machine. Stated as 3/8" but not whether the hole is made
a bit oversize, the shaft a bit under, or both.

Is there some standard? Metric guide pins seem to be symmetric- holes
5-14 microns oversize and pins 5-14 microns undersize.

(I'm making a punch and anvil and fitting it to a non-PEMserter press,
but it would be nice to make it so it could accept the standard PEM
tooling- it's not insanely expensive and is no doubt made properly)

P.S. I did ask PEM's support folks, but nobody there could help- maybe
they're all off on vacation.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Jon Anderson December 24th 11 12:31 AM

Anyone have a PEMserter machine handy?

I made more than a few custom punches and anvils for PEMserter presses.
Been too long, I can't remember for sure, but I really don't recall
turning the tooling to fit the holder. But I'm fairly sure the press
that shop had used 1/2" dia. tooling, not 3/8.

Jon

Spehro Pefhany December 24th 11 03:26 AM

Anyone have a PEMserter machine handy?

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:31:28 -0800, the renowned Jon Anderson
wrote:

I made more than a few custom punches and anvils for PEMserter presses.
Been too long, I can't remember for sure, but I really don't recall
turning the tooling to fit the holder. But I'm fairly sure the press
that shop had used 1/2" dia. tooling, not 3/8.

Jon

Hi, Jon:-

There's a few kinds of PEMserter. I'm looking at the LT4 tooling.

I found a drawing for a Penn 3/8 to 1/2 adapter that has a 0.501 hole
to a 0.374 pin so I guess they split the difference. I'll use a 3/8
nominal reamer then and lap it out later, if required.

Thanks for the help.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany