DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Skil grinder question (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/332562-skil-grinder-question.html)

Steve B[_13_] December 2nd 11 05:57 PM

Skil grinder question

I have a Skil 110v. double ended grinder/buffer wheel. It runs smooth,
doesn't growl, and seems pretty balanced. When I turn it off, it only takes
3-4 seconds to stop spinning. I would think it might take longer. I shot
some lubricant where I can reach, but there doesn't seem to be any use
accessible ports. I have not taken it off and looked underneath yet.

Is it common for these to stop so quickly, or are the bearings needing lube,
or getting tight from gunge?

Steve

Steve W.[_2_] December 3rd 11 01:10 AM

Skil grinder question

Steve B wrote:
I have a Skil 110v. double ended grinder/buffer wheel. It runs smooth,
doesn't growl, and seems pretty balanced. When I turn it off, it only takes
3-4 seconds to stop spinning. I would think it might take longer. I shot
some lubricant where I can reach, but there doesn't seem to be any use
accessible ports. I have not taken it off and looked underneath yet.

Is it common for these to stop so quickly, or are the bearings needing lube,
or getting tight from gunge?

Steve

My antique GE 6" takes about 15-20 to spin down.
It was a salvage item like the OLD GE 1/2" reversible drill I have.
(which reminds me I have to strip that down and clean/relube the gearbox)
--
Steve W.

Leon Fisk December 3rd 11 06:18 PM

Skil grinder question

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 09:57:08 -0800
"Steve B" wrote:

snip
Is it common for these to stop so quickly, or are the bearings needing lube,
or getting tight from gunge?

I think it depends a lot on what kind of wheels you have mounted and
size/mass of the armature. My 3/4 hp with two 8 x 1 inch wheels spins up
and down slow. Another maybe 1/2 hp motor with just an 8 inch wire wheel
spins up and down much quicker.

If you can spin it by hand freely with no noticeable noises I wouldn't
get too concerned.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Steve B[_13_] December 3rd 11 07:11 PM

Skil grinder question

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 09:57:08 -0800
"Steve B" wrote:

snip
Is it common for these to stop so quickly, or are the bearings needing
lube,
or getting tight from gunge?

I think it depends a lot on what kind of wheels you have mounted and
size/mass of the armature. My 3/4 hp with two 8 x 1 inch wheels spins up
and down slow. Another maybe 1/2 hp motor with just an 8 inch wire wheel
spins up and down much quicker.

If you can spin it by hand freely with no noticeable noises I wouldn't
get too concerned.

--
Leon Fisk

It is actually the quietest and best balanced bench grinder I have ever
owned.

Steve