Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bugger, broken drill bit...

--If you can, weld something onto the end and work it out that way.
Here's a link to a photo of how I did this with a #10 tap:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...57624880666386

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--If you can, weld something onto the end and work it out that way.
Here's a link to a photo of how I did this with a #10 tap:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...57624880666386

Good if in heat tolerant material, but unlikely to work without damaging
the 7075AL part in my case.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 16, 1:52*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

Alum is easy to find, commonly sold in 4-5lb boxes/bags in garden
centers to acidify soil. (aluminum sulphate)

Avoid lye it will eat the aluminum.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

steamer wrote:

--If you can, weld something onto the
end and work it out that way.
Here's a link to a photo of how I did this with
a #10 tap:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...57624880666386

Good if in heat tolerant material, but unlikely
to work without damaging
the 7075AL part in my case.

7075 is _not_ that heat intolerant! I don't think
it will affect it one iota.
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bugger, broken drill bit...(now: Coin deposit shopping carts)

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've seen the coin release carts at Aldi's, but not any
where else. It's a deposit, not a fee. You get a quarter
back when you leave.

I know that, but it requires a second trip to the store to return the
cart. That doubles the trips from my truck to the store and back to
four trips, and the chances of getting hit by some asshole talking on a
cell phone or texting while they drive 20 MPH past the entrance to the
store. I can't move that fast with a cane, and I doubt the police would
approve of me shooting the assholes for making me fall to the ground
when they hit me. I've had too many close calls while buying food,
including one SOB who leaned out the window and screamed at me to 'Get
the **** out of his way', because I was 'Walking too ****ing slow' to
suit him. Then he switched to Spanish and continued to curse at me. I
was so sick & weak that day I needed a cart and my cane to walk. I
wanted a M-72 to fix the crappy flame job on his jacked up pickup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've seen the coin release carts at Aldi's, but not any
where else. It's a deposit, not a fee. You get a quarter
back when you leave.

I know that, but it requires a second trip to the store to return the
cart. That doubles the trips from my truck to the store and back to
four trips, and the chances of getting hit by some asshole talking on a
cell phone or texting while they drive 20 MPH past the entrance to the
store.

20 MPH is slow for driving past the entrance in TX.

I can't move that fast with a cane, and I doubt the police would
approve of me shooting the assholes for making me fall to the ground
when they hit me.

NP here in TX.

I've had too many close calls while buying food,
including one SOB who leaned out the window and screamed at me to 'Get
the **** out of his way', because I was 'Walking too ****ing slow' to
suit him. Then he switched to Spanish and continued to curse at me. I
was so sick & weak that day I needed a cart and my cane to walk. I
wanted a M-72 to fix the crappy flame job on his jacked up pickup.

That doesn't happen often here in TX (see above).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 01:29:03 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

Must be a strange place. I just picked some up from Wal-Mart and have
seen it in the Hannafords, Price Chopper and Save-A-Lot stores around here.

Have your Save-A-Lot stores switch to the coin operated shopping cart
that needs a quarter to unlock it from the other carts?

Been using them here for years. Residents of the apartment complex
across the park, bring them home from the grocery stores (four within
1/2 mile) and abandon them in the parking lot or on the street. They
get their quarters back by lying them on their sides, top to top and
coupling them together in pairs, which means that the guy with the
large flatbed trailer who makes a good living returning carts to the
stores has to have a few quarters on hand. Another trick is to clip
the chain and release the quarter. One local store has installed locks
requiring a $2 coin.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've seen the coin release carts at Aldi's, but not any
where else. It's a deposit, not a fee. You get a quarter
back when you leave.

I know that, but it requires a second trip to the store to return the
cart. That doubles the trips from my truck to the store and back to
four trips, and the chances of getting hit by some asshole talking on a
cell phone or texting while they drive 20 MPH past the entrance to the
store.

20 MPH is slow for driving past the entrance in TX.

The lot is too short for them to get up to a higher speed without
spilling their beer.

I can't move that fast with a cane, and I doubt the police would
approve of me shooting the assholes for making me fall to the ground
when they hit me.

NP here in TX.

It is in Florida. They don't want you scaring off the Liberal
Snowbirds before they spend the $20 they brought from NJ for their
winter in Florida.

I've had too many close calls while buying food,
including one SOB who leaned out the window and screamed at me to 'Get
the **** out of his way', because I was 'Walking too ****ing slow' to
suit him. Then he switched to Spanish and continued to curse at me. I
was so sick & weak that day I needed a cart and my cane to walk. I
wanted a M-72 to fix the crappy flame job on his jacked up pickup.

That doesn't happen often here in TX (see above).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

Must be a strange place. I just picked some up from Wal-Mart and have
seen it in the Hannafords, Price Chopper and Save-A-Lot stores around here.

Have your Save-A-Lot stores switch to the coin operated shopping cart
that needs a quarter to unlock it from the other carts?

Been using them here for years. Residents of the apartment complex
across the park, bring them home from the grocery stores (four within
1/2 mile) and abandon them in the parking lot or on the street. They
get their quarters back by lying them on their sides, top to top and
coupling them together in pairs, which means that the guy with the
large flatbed trailer who makes a good living returning carts to the
stores has to have a few quarters on hand. Another trick is to clip
the chain and release the quarter. One local store has installed locks
requiring a $2 coin.

The Save-A-Lot stores around here had the electronic wheel locks that
prevented them from rolling out of the parking lot. They are missing on
the new carts, but the buried loop is still in place for the older
carts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:30:09 -0800 (PST), beecrofter
wrote:

On Nov 16, 1:52*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

Alum is easy to find, commonly sold in 4-5lb boxes/bags in garden
centers to acidify soil. (aluminum sulphate)

Avoid lye it will eat the aluminum.

!!! I learned something. I can get it by the ton at the Co-op. Make a
saturated solution in a bucket and let the part soak. Bet if you used
a metal bucket and a hotplate, the chemical reaction would go real
fast.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That sounds miserable. What can you do? with the state of
law enforcement, a protected few can rampage over the honest
citizens of the world.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds miserable. What can you do? with the state of
law enforcement, a protected few can rampage over the honest
citizens of the world.

I switched to another store, that isn't making it more difficult for
the handicapped to shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds miserable. What can you do? with the state of
law enforcement, a protected few can rampage over the honest
citizens of the world.

I switched to another store, that isn't making it more difficult for
the handicapped to shop.

The stores around here all will help you bring stuff out to your car,
load and take the cart back if you want. They also don't have any silly
coin stuff on the carts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
7075 is _not_ that heat intolerant! I don't think
it will affect it one iota.
phil k.

--What he said; the drill is small enough and the aluminum massive
enough that it'll act like a heat sink. Just make sure the weld happens
fast. No need to weld to the end if you've got enough drill sticking out;
you can weld a lever to one side too.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds miserable. What can you do? with the state of
law enforcement, a protected few can rampage over the honest
citizens of the world.

I switched to another store, that isn't making it more difficult for
the handicapped to shop.

The stores around here all will help you bring stuff out to your car,
load and take the cart back if you want. They also don't have any silly
coin stuff on the carts.

The Aldi's chain has been doing it for years. Save-A-Lot started
'testing' them a month ago, and chose our area for the tests. None of
the others are doing it, and Publix Supermarkets and a few other chains
offer help. There are only a few things I buy at Aldi's, simply because
no one else sells it. I will only buy what little I can carry, and only
stop if I am within a few blocks for some other reason. I used to spend
about $200 a month at Save-A-Lot. In the past month, I've spent about
$40 there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 18 Nov 2011
11:45:11 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The Aldi's chain has been doing it for years. Save-A-Lot started
'testing' them a month ago, and chose our area for the tests. None of
the others are doing it, and Publix Supermarkets and a few other chains
offer help. There are only a few things I buy at Aldi's, simply because
no one else sells it. I will only buy what little I can carry, and only
stop if I am within a few blocks for some other reason. I used to spend
about $200 a month at Save-A-Lot. In the past month, I've spent about
$40 there.

Tell Aldi's management, and explain why. They may decide to
change their policy.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Nov 16, 1:52 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Thanks,

Pete C.

Alum is easy to find, commonly sold in 4-5lb boxes/bags in garden
centers to acidify soil. (aluminum sulphate)

Avoid lye it will eat the aluminum.

!!! I learned something. I can get it by the ton at the Co-op. Make a
saturated solution in a bucket and let the part soak. Bet if you used
a metal bucket and a hotplate, the chemical reaction would go real
fast.

Karl

Don't use a steel pan. It'll eat it up just like the drill bit.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

Phil Kangas wrote:
7075 is _not_ that heat intolerant! I don't think
it will affect it one iota.
phil k.

--What he said; the drill is small enough and the aluminum massive
enough that it'll act like a heat sink. Just make sure the weld happens
fast. No need to weld to the end if you've got enough drill sticking out;
you can weld a lever to one side too.

I have only a tiny angled piece sticking out, and I don't want to affect
the heat treat on the part or cause any problems for the eventual
anodizing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 16, 1:52*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

I have had some luck using a small high speed tool like Harbor
Freight item 47869 and dental drills. It is not too fast, and I
would not recommend it on any tap bigger than 3/32 ". The tap gets
hot and loses its hardness to some extent.

i have also kludged up a electric discharge machine using a drill
press to hold the electrode. It was pretty simple. An isolation
transformer to a voltage doubler. Then through a light bulb to a oil
filled capacitor and on to a finishing nail in a dowel in the drill
press. The light bulb acts as a resistor that increases in resistance
if there is a short. The distance is critical . We ( I did this for
and with a friend. ) set the stop on the drill press and could get a
very slight movement by leaning on the down feed. We used kerosene
and had the part immersed in it. Since the sparks all occurred in the
liquid below the surface we did not have any fires. I do not
recommend this unless you have a reasonable background in doing stuff
like this. Lots of ways to get shocked or cause a fire. This is also
not very fast. My friend had broken a tap off in a .45 slide. After
doing all the playing, he took the slide to a machine shop and had
them burn out the tap.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/16/2011 12:52 PM, Pete C. wrote:

I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Thanks,

Pete C.

I would MIG weld a nut on the tiny bit of bit available. If looks is
critical, I happen to have some copper tape that I would put on the part
with the drill sticking through.