DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   steam pressure regulator (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/331812-steam-pressure-regulator.html)

engineman November 14th 11 09:11 PM

steam pressure regulator

I built a propane fueled steam powered cycle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVn00...eature=related
Now I want to add a pressure control to turn the gas flow down or off
when the pressure of120 PSI is reached.
It would be too clumsy to use a regulator from a large boiler, I need
a small device that would work with a valve using 1/8" pipe threads.
I also would like to avoid electrical devices so as to eliminate the
need for batteries.
So Does anyone know of a source of a device like this or plans to
build one?

Engineman

Jim Stewart November 14th 11 10:44 PM

steam pressure regulator

At home I have a picture and description of
a very cute gas regulator for a Linotype machine.
It held the temperature of the typemetal pot at a
constant temperature and was only 3 or 4 parts.

I'll try to scan it you if you like.

anorton November 14th 11 11:11 PM

steam pressure regulator

"engineman" wrote in message
I built a propane fueled steam powered cycle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVn00...eature=related
Now I want to add a pressure control to turn the gas flow down or off
when the pressure of120 PSI is reached.
It would be too clumsy to use a regulator from a large boiler, I need
a small device that would work with a valve using 1/8" pipe threads.
I also would like to avoid electrical devices so as to eliminate the
need for batteries.
So Does anyone know of a source of a device like this or plans to
build one?

Engineman

The pressure of saturated steam is directly related to steam temperature.
120 psi is 350 deg. F.
http://www.indpipe.com/images/PDF/st...sure_table.pdf

I would think you could adapt a gas oven thermostat to regulate the steam at
350 deg.

Tim Wescott November 14th 11 11:38 PM

steam pressure regulator

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:11:29 -0800, engineman wrote:

I built a propane fueled steam powered cycle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVn00...eature=related Now I want to
add a pressure control to turn the gas flow down or off when the
pressure of120 PSI is reached. It would be too clumsy to use a regulator
from a large boiler, I need a small device that would work with a valve
using 1/8" pipe threads. I also would like to avoid electrical devices
so as to eliminate the need for batteries.
So Does anyone know of a source of a device like this or plans to build
one?

Engineman

piston == valve == spring.

Supply the piston with pressure from the boiler, and arrange it to close
the valve. Crank the spring down for more pressure, let the spring off
for less. (Come to think of it, you should be able to use a diaphragm
instead of a piston, like compressed-air regulators do. The difference
is that instead of the diaphragm actuating a valve that supplies itself
with pressure, it'll be actuating the gas valve).

Expect imperfect operation in the form of lag and pressure variations: if
the thing's just sitting there steaming gently and you nail the throttle
the boiler pressure may go down quite a bit before the burner makes it
catch up. Similarly, if you ask for extended high power output (climbing
a hill, or going fast), then the boiler pressure will sag and stay sagged
until you park the thing again.

You can fix the long-term sag somewhat by making the valve more
sensitive, until you make it so sensitive that the lag induces
oscillation.

But as long as you've got wiggle room above and below 125psi, you should
be OK.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

steamer November 15th 11 04:19 PM

steam pressure regulator

--Many moons ago Coles Power Models sold a widget that did just
this; not sure if they're still around or not but you might have a look.
Maybe ebay too.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!