Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Veterans day

Back in September 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren,
a military history school teacher at Joe T. Robinson High School, did
something not to be forgotten.

On the first day of school, with the permission of the school
superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she
removed all of the desks out of her classroom. When the first period
kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks. 'Ms.
Cothren, where are our desks?' She replied, 'You can't have a desk
until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk' They
thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.' 'No,' she said. 'Maybe it's
our behavior.' She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.'
And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third
period. Still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in
Ms. Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had
taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found
seats on the floor of the desk-less classroom, Martha Cothren said,
'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he/she
has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily
found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you..'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom
and opened it.

Twenty-seven (27) War Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that
classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing
the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand
alongside the wall... By the time the last soldier had set the final
desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first
time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had
been earned..

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These
heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's
up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be
good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you
could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:27:06 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

[...]

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Typically for Americans nowadays, the text said "Where's our desks?"
insted of "Where are our desks?" or "Where're our desks?" Was it the
author or the students who actually muffed that one? /rhetorical q
sigh

To our veterans, I salute and thank you, always.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message

[...]

Every year on this day I'm reminded of the sacrifices that vets have made
and the liberals that spit on my friends coming back from Nam.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 11, 12:47*pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message

[...]

and the liberals that spit on my friends coming back from Nam.- Hide quoted text -

Every year on this day I'm reminded of the sacrifices that Americans
have made
and the conservative cowards that allow young kids to die for their
lies.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 11, 10:27*am, "Steve W." wrote:
[...]

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp- Hide quoted text -

Touching story...but as usual patriotic BS.

The real heroes are the parents of those children who will commit a
lifetime of sacrifice for their children and the Country.

The military and the Nation never repays the debt they owe to those
whose children are lost in a war.

Ask any parent who has ever lost a child to war.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
[...]

Thanks for posting this Steve . I'm going to send it to a few folks who I
know will appreciate it . And a few whom I'm pretty sure it'll **** off .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:48:44 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

[...]

And if you were ever able to find a girlfried, reproduce, and have a
child that was taken out of his or her school to go work in the
fields, you would be flailing your wrists about and screaming "where
is the military to protect us?"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.307bg.net/

My Dad's outfit.

SALUTE!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

http://www.307bg.net/

My Dad's outfit.

SALUTE!

Steve

Monday, the 14th is Golden Corral's annual Veteran's dinner.

Veterans : Ron Woodworking 28 November 17th 08 05:54 PM
O.T. Veterans : Millwright Ron[_2_] Metalworking 2 November 11th 08 11:14 AM
Veterans Day Millwright Ron[_2_] Metalworking 10 November 13th 07 06:27 PM
Veterans Day Ron Woodworking 9 November 13th 07 04:22 PM
Veterans Day Millwright Ron[_2_] Metalworking 0 November 12th 07 05:42 PM