DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Trigger guard for MIG gun (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/331423-trigger-guard-mig-gun.html)

Bob Engelhardt November 6th 11 02:47 AM

Trigger guard for MIG gun

My Lincoln SP135 had a gun with an exposed, unlocked trigger. Too often
I'd set it down, bumping the trigger and running out wire that had to be
trimmed. Annoying.

My plasma cutter, on the other hand, has an interlock on the trigger
that has to be lifted before the trigger can be pulled.

So, I got to thinking about how to interlock the MIG trigger. I didn't
think of anything that wasn't too complicated, but I did come up with a
guard that's almost as good and very simple:

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/MIGGunGuard.jpg

A 1/16" hole drilled on each side & bent wire pushed in. I did open the
gun first to confirm that the holes wouldn't be drilled into anything
functional.

Works a treat.

Bob

[email protected] November 6th 11 03:23 AM

Trigger guard for MIG gun

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:47:44 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

My Lincoln SP135 had a gun with an exposed, unlocked trigger. Too often
I'd set it down, bumping the trigger and running out wire that had to be
trimmed. Annoying.

My plasma cutter, on the other hand, has an interlock on the trigger
that has to be lifted before the trigger can be pulled.

So, I got to thinking about how to interlock the MIG trigger. I didn't
think of anything that wasn't too complicated, but I did come up with a
guard that's almost as good and very simple:

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/MIGGunGuard.jpg

A 1/16" hole drilled on each side & bent wire pushed in. I did open the
gun first to confirm that the holes wouldn't be drilled into anything
functional.

Works a treat.

Bob

Thanks for that Bob. I have a Lincoln SP125+ which uses the exact same
gun. Wire and gas coming out of the gun while my attention is
elsewhere has happened to me many times. And I try to be careful. Your
idea is gonna save me some money.
Eric