Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Snow removal with a forklift

I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:40:08 -0500, Ignoramus22285
wrote:

I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Can't get your link to load.But no matter,forklifts are TERRIBLE in
snow. They don't even do wet grass. Leave the truck inside. A scoop
shovel would be faster.

Now, I bet you can find a great snowblower that only needs a minor
repair for $50.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22285 wrote:
I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Only two real options. Plow mounted on the forks (did this at one shop)
Building your own is easy just find an old P/U plow and make a set of
rails that you can clamp/chain to the forks.

Other option - Hydraulic powered blower. Using either an extra pump OR
since weight isn't a big deal make one up using a small engine and a
high flow pump.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Can't get your link to load.But no matter,forklifts are TERRIBLE in
snow. They don't even do wet grass. Leave the truck inside. A scoop
shovel would be faster.

Now, I bet you can find a great snowblower that only needs a minor
repair for $50.

Karl, try this link:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/564.JPG.html

This is an outdoor forklift.

Right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22285" wrote in message
I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Fork lift won't work. You need a chicago snow plow complete with
ice scraper on the back side.

http://www.collectconnection.com/images/pd55099.jpg

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Can't get your link to load.But no matter,forklifts are TERRIBLE in
snow. They don't even do wet grass. Leave the truck inside. A scoop
shovel would be faster.

Now, I bet you can find a great snowblower that only needs a minor
repair for $50.

Karl, try this link:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/564.JPG.html

This is an outdoor forklift.

Right?

That link works. Your lift is very similar to mine. Your unit will be
worthless in even one inch of snow. If you need a reason the weight
distribution is all wrong. Huge counter weight over the non driving
wheel makes it far worse than those old rear wheel drive pickups.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

* * * * *http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Can't get your link to load.But no matter,forklifts are TERRIBLE in
snow. They don't even do wet grass. Leave the truck inside. A scoop
shovel would be faster.

Now, I bet you can find a great snowblower that only needs a minor
repair for $50.

Karl

LOL..this is Ig we are talking about...I would expect $10 and
delivered to his door.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Can't get your link to load.But no matter,forklifts are TERRIBLE in
snow. They don't even do wet grass. Leave the truck inside. A scoop
shovel would be faster.

Now, I bet you can find a great snowblower that only needs a minor
repair for $50.

Karl, try this link:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/564.JPG.html

This is an outdoor forklift.

Right?

This:

http://blog.ringpower.com/post/Manit...Forklifts.aspx

is an outdoor forklift.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Live Faust, die Jung.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Can't get your link to load.But no matter,forklifts are TERRIBLE in
snow. They don't even do wet grass. Leave the truck inside. A scoop
shovel would be faster.

Now, I bet you can find a great snowblower that only needs a minor
repair for $50.

Karl, try this link:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/564.JPG.html

This is an outdoor forklift.

Right?

This:

http://blog.ringpower.com/post/Manit...Forklifts.aspx

is an outdoor forklift.

No, that is a rough terrain forklift.

An outdoor forklift with pneumatic tires can operate on gravel, which
is what I have.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Lots. Assuming you can put chains on ALL 4 tires!!

Without chains..you have a very heavy thingy that will spin the tires
until they burn down to the asphalt..and move a tiny bit...and
again..and again..and again.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:18:57 -0700
wrote:

I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

thanks

Lots. Assuming you can put chains on ALL 4 tires!!

Without chains..you have a very heavy thingy that will spin the tires
until they burn down to the asphalt..and move a tiny bit...and
again..and again..and again.

I've been told that putting chains on forklifts is a good idea
when "off road" - say in dirt, grass or pasture. Same reason -
traction.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:37:47 -0500, Ignoramus22285
On 2011-10-30, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Ignoramus22285 wrote:

Karl, try this link:
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/564.JPG.html
This is an outdoor forklift. Right?

Well, kinda sorta...

This:
http://blog.ringpower.com/post/Manit...Forklifts.aspx
is an outdoor forklift.

No, that is a rough terrain forklift.

An outdoor forklift with pneumatic tires can operate on gravel, which
is what I have.

A pneumatic tire forklift might be able to work outdoors, but it's
going to be a battle to do it, and the area needs to be scraped clean
first.

Like they said, the counterweight on the back is going to mess up
your traction with the drive axle under the forks, unless you find a
4-Wheel Drive forklift (not likely) or put a big weight behind the
snow-blower assembly. They have a hard time going creep slow for very
long. And the forklift hydraulic pump doesn't have the sheer GPM
volume to run a snow blower system

Unless that gravel is deep and well-packed the tire point loading on
that "outdoor" forklift is still far too high and the tractive effort
not enough to keep moving. That's why they make the Rough Surface
forklifts.

Not to mention you should NEVER snow-blow a gravel surface unless you
like paying off damage claims - Car paint jobs wrecked and window
glass blown out, broken windows on nearby buildings... Get the areas
you want to snow blow paved before you start flinging it around.

What you want for a gravel lot is some sort of a Wheel Loader or a
Backhoe Tractor with a nice loader bucket on the front. Or a regular
utility tractor with a Gannon box scraper on the back.

Tip the bucket forward and use it as a plow blade to scrape the snow
into a pile, or use the Gannon to scrape the layer of snow off the top
of the gravel surface. Scoop up the pile of collected snow (and
gravel) with the loader bucket and go dump it in the back corners of
the parking lot. Repeat as needed.

If it's a really deep snow storm, go get a tilt-bed Dump Trailer or a
real Dump Truck for the day. You load it with the tractor and your
assistant runs around back to the snow pile and dumps it. When it's
all back there, then you can take the tractor and stack it better.

After the spring thaw, you'll have a nice pile of gravel in the back
of the lot to spread around as needed.

When you get the parking lot all paved, THEN you can take the bucket
off the front of the tractor and mount a snow blower. They usually
have a large enough hydraulic system to run one, and low enough
forward gearing to make use of it.

But you need places to throw the snow TO - in an industrial situation
like yours there may not be a vacant lot next door to toss it into.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not to mention you should NEVER snow-blow a gravel surface unless you
like paying off damage claims - Car paint jobs wrecked and window
glass blown out, broken windows on nearby buildings... Get the areas
you want to snow blow paved before you start flinging it around.

I've been snowblowing over gravel for thirty years. No big deal. Set
the shoes up, leave an inch. Point spout to open area - go.

What you should never do is blow an area where you haven't inspected
it to be clear. My highlights - a cement block in a neighbor's
driveway. A steel fence post in another neighbor's driveway. A slio
stave in front of my spray water tank - my fault - and that sucker
wedged in tight. But my favorite - still got shivers thing about it -
was a can full of gasoline.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snow blower turned flame thrower, after you shredded the
gascan? That would be memorable.

I've been snowblowing over gravel for about 15 years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message ...

I've been snowblowing over gravel for thirty years. No big
deal. Set
the shoes up, leave an inch. Point spout to open area - go.

What you should never do is blow an area where you haven't
inspected
it to be clear. My highlights - a cement block in a
neighbor's
driveway. A steel fence post in another neighbor's driveway.
A slio
stave in front of my spray water tank - my fault - and that
sucker
wedged in tight. But my favorite - still got shivers thing
about it -
was a can full of gasoline.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Not to mention you should NEVER snow-blow a gravel surface unless you
like paying off damage claims - Car paint jobs wrecked and window
glass blown out, broken windows on nearby buildings... Get the areas
you want to snow blow paved before you start flinging it around.

I've been snowblowing over gravel for thirty years. No big deal. Set
the shoes up, leave an inch. Point spout to open area - go.

What you should never do is blow an area where you haven't inspected
it to be clear. My highlights - a cement block in a neighbor's
driveway. A steel fence post in another neighbor's driveway. A slio
stave in front of my spray water tank - my fault - and that sucker
wedged in tight. But my favorite - still got shivers thing about it -
was a can full of gasoline.

Karl

Same here. Only time I ever have a problem is when it hasn't frozen good
yet and the shoes want to dig in.

I've made a few discoveries in the snow as well. Worst one was a hank of
rope, it played out just perfect, wound the impeller a couple times that
grabbed on the scrolls. What a mess to clean out. Was NOT happy. Sheared
both pins, bent the scroll and the impeller..

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:51:47 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Snow blower turned flame thrower, after you shredded the
gascan? That would be memorable.

I've been snowblowing over gravel for about 15 years.

Yeah, but that's on a farm or house with small areas to clear and
plenty of open space to toss the snow - that might have a few
surprises included. The gravel or the occasional larger rock or ice
chunk isn't going to hurt an apple tree.

And remember, this is Iggy we're talking about. Forethought isn't an
assured thing... ;-P " For every action there is an equal and
opposite... Oh ****! RUN!!" _ (Love ya, man!)

I took the "Google Earth Tour" when he put up the address a while back
- Iggy's working with industrial land that has parked cars and trucks
scattered around on it, and neighbors on both sides IIRC.

The side of the building you can't toss the snow over the fence or
they'll just toss it right back - Onto the shop roof... Or worse,
they send over Knuckles and Guido to make "a social call" and teach
you not to do that The Chicago Way. :-P

I'm just saying it's a whole lot safer for everybody to scrape and
scoop it up and dump it around back, or let someone with a few hundred
hours of prior experience do any blowing in a congested area.

A Backhoe is a 4-seasons general purpose implement you can do many
wondrous things with. It can be a rough surface forklift with a fork
attachment, a small crane if you weld a hook or a D-Ring onto the back
of the backhoe bucket...

A Snow-blower is only good for one season, and sits around taking up
space the other three.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 07:49:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Not to mention you should NEVER snow-blow a gravel surface unless you
like paying off damage claims - Car paint jobs wrecked and window
glass blown out, broken windows on nearby buildings... Get the areas
you want to snow blow paved before you start flinging it around.

I've been snowblowing over gravel for thirty years. No big deal. Set
the shoes up, leave an inch. Point spout to open area - go.

What you should never do is blow an area where you haven't inspected
it to be clear. My highlights - a cement block in a neighbor's
driveway. A steel fence post in another neighbor's driveway. A slio
stave in front of my spray water tank - my fault - and that sucker
wedged in tight. But my favorite - still got shivers thing about it -
was a can full of gasoline.

Karl

GAAAHHH!!!! Omg..that makes the skin on the back of my neck pucker up
really really tight!

What happened?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

True enough. And Ill bet the Iggmeister can find a serviceable backhoe
easily enough.

Anyone want to start a pool what it costs him?

Ill start it off at $175.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nothing, it didn't go off. This was just last Feb. Milady put the
lawmower can in front of the barrels in late fall, "so it would be
handy". The snow was three feet deep so I blew right up to the 2000
gallons of fuel so I could refill tractors. Then I seen a plume of
gasoline and fumes and bits of gas can fly over the fuel barrels.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You got more luck than a cat has lives on that one.
Glad that it went ok.

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gaack!!!

One little spark...

"would you like that regular..or extra crispy?"

Better a plastic can....much better.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22285 wrote:
I was wondering, what options would I have for snow removal, with a
pneumatic tire forklift similar to this one:

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/15675/photos/564.JPG

(5k Cat propane forklift)

A genuine rough terrain forklift with a bucket
would work well. A warehouse forklift not so
much.

snow removal methods [email protected] Metalworking 44 February 1st 11 12:45 AM
Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 09:05 AM
Tanks vs. light infantry of snow removal Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 December 21st 08 04:57 AM
Roof - snow removal BuckK Home Repair 9 September 23rd 08 04:45 PM
Snow Removal on 40 acres [email protected] Home Repair 10 November 12th 06 02:51 AM