DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   home made (metal) rail road car (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/330857-home-made-metal-rail-road-car.html)

Stormin Mormon October 22nd 11 02:24 PM

home made (metal) rail road car

A totally fascinating character who decided to build his own
rail car.
Along with photos. And movie clips. The web page appears to
be still there.
I did download and view the video clips a couple years back.
The guy is a
good example of determined and a bit off center, eh?

Check out:
http://www.bluehaze.com.au/mmedia/rtrain/rtrain1.html
Looks interesting and exciting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Eli the Bearded October 24th 11 07:11 AM

home made (metal) rail road car

In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
A totally fascinating character who decided to build his own
rail car.
Along with photos. And movie clips. The web page appears to
be still there.

http://www.bluehaze.com.au/mmedia/rtrain/rtrain1.html

Cool project. Reminds me of the "railbikes" I've seen, small pedal
powered vehicles designed to run on old rail lines. Adding an engine
makes it a lot easier to go further though.

Elijah
------
doesn't know of any long runs of *disused* rail near him

Dennis October 24th 11 07:57 AM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
A totally fascinating character who decided to build his own
rail car.
Along with photos. And movie clips. The web page appears to
be still there.
I did download and view the video clips a couple years back.
The guy is a
good example of determined and a bit off center, eh?

Check out:
http://www.bluehaze.com.au/mmedia/rtrain/rtrain1.html
Looks interesting and exciting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Thats great - thanks for posting.

I'm on the west coast of australia (the train guy's on the east coast).
The government here has a history of decomissioning rail and placing the
freight on the roads in trucks.

Gerald Miller October 24th 11 08:05 AM

home made (metal) rail road car

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 05:11:30 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
A totally fascinating character who decided to build his own
rail car.
Along with photos. And movie clips. The web page appears to
be still there.

http://www.bluehaze.com.au/mmedia/rtrain/rtrain1.html

Cool project. Reminds me of the "railbikes" I've seen, small pedal
powered vehicles designed to run on old rail lines. Adding an engine
makes it a lot easier to go further though.

Elijah
------
doesn't know of any long runs of *disused* rail near him

Paternal grandfather had something like that - two wheels on one side,
one on the other, similar to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RailVelocipede.jpg

He and my father used it to come home Saturday afternoon and back
Sunday evening to the various saw mills where they worked as sawyer
and setter respectively. Train traffic was no problem with three round
trip trains per week. He stopped using it when roads were improved to
the point where automobiles became more convenient. He sold it to a
collector around 1948.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Randy333 October 24th 11 03:48 PM

home made (metal) rail road car

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:24:24 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

A totally fascinating character who decided to build his own
rail car.
Along with photos. And movie clips. The web page appears to
be still there.
I did download and view the video clips a couple years back.
The guy is a
good example of determined and a bit off center, eh?

Check out:
http://www.bluehaze.com.au/mmedia/rtrain/rtrain1.html
Looks interesting and exciting.

That's very cool. Now he neds to add a sickle bar to the front to
keep the tracks clear.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Stormin Mormon October 25th 11 09:16 AM

home made (metal) rail road car

Must be some money involved. Someone getting paid to change
his way of thinking. Railroads make sense, to me. usually
level grade, reasonably so. Get the train going, and it
rolls right along. Of course, truck go many places rail
roads will not.

I remember from school, that the tax rates used to be
different, between short and long haul. In the US, it was
often cheaper to send a car past your destination, and then
bring it back. The two long haul were still cheaper than one
short. Idiotic tax code, if you ask me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. au...

[email protected] October 25th 11 10:50 PM

wrote:

A totally fascinating character who decided to build his own
rail car.
Along with photos. And movie clips. The web page appears to
be still there.
I did download and view the video clips a couple years back.
The guy is a
good example of determined and a bit off center, eh?

Check out:
http://www.bluehaze.com.au/mmedia/rtrain/rtrain1.html
Looks interesting and exciting.

What kind of snake was that in that photo? I know Oz has some killer
snakes.
Dave

Grumpy October 26th 11 02:29 AM

wrote:

A totally fascinating character who decided to build his own
rail car.
Along with photos. And movie clips. The web page appears to
be still there.
I did download and view the video clips a couple years back.
The guy is a
good example of determined and a bit off center, eh?

Check out:
http://www.bluehaze.com.au/mmedia/rtrain/rtrain1.html
Looks interesting and exciting.

What kind of snake was that in that photo? I know Oz has some killer
snakes.
Dave

Not sure as they all tend to look similar at the distances I like to
maintain. It looked fairly "flat' in the region behind the head. This would
indicate two things. 1) it is probably a Tiger snake 2) it is starting to
get ****ed off. The steps to take in those circumstance are large ones and a
good quantity of them as well.
They have a very good antivenom avilable in most hospitals in Australia
these days, but they are still a dangerous snake. Like most native animals
it is a protected species here, however, in the country, they often succumb
to tree branches that fall on them from above. Above is usuually about
shoulder height of the local farmer.
There are more highly venemous snakes here but the Tiger is the most often
cause of snake bite because of their agressive nature.