Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slicing a big (12.5" diameter) "rod" of metal

On 2011-10-06, wrote:
The incomparable Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in news:j6lau705t6
@news3.newsguy.com:

The price is right but I'm concerned about the amount of
'cleanup' necessary to make the ends of your discs parallel.

That's just a "little" lathe work...G

It's a 'perspective' thing.

Each workpiece weighs about 11.6 x as much as
my lathe, so I have a different point of view.

I thought that the weight specified way back thread was the
overall weight of the raw stock prior to cutting into the slices.

Yup. 700 lbs.

Looks like about 29.4 lbs per inch of length, or 139 lbs per 4"
slice -- so that may have indeed been the weight of the workpiece.

You are right. The 4" workpiece weighs about 5.8 x as
much as my lathe. I stuck an extra '2' multiplier in
there for some odd reason.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 00:17:04 -0400, the renowned Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 16:08:34 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:54:32 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Just for closure- first batch we're getting cut off at a supplier, who
also happens to have a ratty but compact guilliotine-style (two post)
bandsaw for sale that can do it in two cuts. Asking price for the saw
is $2K.

Hey Speff,

Auction today had 9" Wells same design as that. It went for $200. Not
in bad shape. It would certainly "hold" a 12" diameter if the vise
jaws were exteded up, and would work if you cut through the 9" or at
least 1/2 way through and them rotated to complete the cut.

Brian Lawson

Thanks, Brian.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

(...)

Right, about 135 lbs per 4", which is only about 4x as much as a
Sherline weighs. ;-)

Yes. (Smacks forehead)
That is much closer to the truth.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

It seems like a medium sized saw and rotating would do it. I'm pretty sure you are not
near northern michigan or I'd ask my boss if you could bring a band and cut your stock
where I work. We have two saws that can cut that.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 4, 8:54*am, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:
Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

Diamond wire saw?
http://www.cuttingtechnologies.com/s...re_sawing.html
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which acid will dissolve ferrous metals but not brass?

Hey all,

A friend has snapped a #71 drill bit in a brass fitiing. Anybody know
which acid will dissolve ferrous metals but not brass? Don't know if
it matters, but until the broken bit is removed, it's a "blind hole".

Thanks for any comments.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey all,

A friend has snapped a #71 drill bit in a brass fitiing. Anybody know
which acid will dissolve ferrous metals but not brass? Don't know if
it matters, but until the broken bit is removed, it's a "blind hole".

Thanks for any comments.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Alum dissolved in warm water. Apply and let it work. Apply as needed
till the pit is free/gone.

Won't hurt the brass and it's cheap (Alum is in the spice/pickling area)
Also works to dry canker sores.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 02:51:30 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey all,

A friend has snapped a #71 drill bit in a brass fitiing. Anybody know
which acid will dissolve ferrous metals but not brass? Don't know if
it matters, but until the broken bit is removed, it's a "blind hole".

Thanks for any comments.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Alum dissolved in warm water. Apply and let it work. Apply as needed
till the pit is free/gone.

Won't hurt the brass and it's cheap (Alum is in the spice/pickling area)
Also works to dry canker sores.

Hey Steve,

Thank you. I've forwarded this to my friend.

Take care.

Brian Lawson.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just for closure- first batch we're getting cut off at a supplier, who
also happens to have a ratty but compact guilliotine-style (two post)
bandsaw for sale that can do it in two cuts. Asking price for the saw
is $2K.

Okay, here's what we actually ended up with and what it looks like.

Cost more than expected (about $5K), and looks pretty ratty (had to
replace the
tachometer and the shutoff microswitch) but it works fine. I put a
Tachulator
on there with a divide by six and Omron proximity detector to count
the spokes
on the 16" drive wheel so it reads SFM directly (showing 295 feet/
minute). The
Telemechanique microswitch was obsolete, but available off-the-shelf.

http://www.speff.com/saw_front.jpg
http://www.speff.com/saw_back.jpg

It'll last for about 100 more years the way we use it.

Best regards,
--sp
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.speff.com/saw_front.jpght...m/saw_back.jpg

It'll last for about 100 more years the way we use it.

Best regards,
--sp

So you are making gargantuan woodruff keys?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

;-)

I suppose you could call it a "key", but to what I cannot say.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany