Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 phase electrical receptacle on fire, explosions

I had a little bit of a new experience today.

My new place has cables dropped from the ceiling, with receptacles
hanging somewhat above my height.

I was moving a crane and bumped into one of them, nothing big, just a
minor bump. Then I saw that the receptacle was on fire (or rather,
flames were coming out from inside), with small explosions inside.

I ran to the electrical control panel and turned off electricity to
the whole building. The fire stopped.

After a short while, I opened up the receptacle. It turned out that it
was full of grinding dust (! -- how did it get inside) -- and,
apparently, the dust shifted and shorted the contacts. It was a short
circuit, but with a lot of resistance from the dust, so it caught
fire, but did not trip a breaker.

I cut it off and taped the individual wires, but I am now thinking
that I need to take all of those things apart and blow them out with
compressed air.

Comments?

All this talk of gas explosions Eigenvector Home Repair 11 June 12th 07 02:07 AM
Old Electrical Receptacle and Ground redbrickhat Home Repair 3 December 10th 06 06:15 PM
Old Electrical Receptacle and Ground redbrickhat Home Repair 6 December 9th 06 06:33 PM
adding an electrical receptacle to a switch box [email protected] Home Repair 3 November 26th 05 03:43 PM
Three lines attached to single electrical receptacle?? [email protected] Home Repair 8 November 10th 05 01:57 AM