Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replace battery in Harbor Freight "solar" powered welding helmet

Yes, the solar powered welding helmet does have two coin cell
batteries in it. They're sealed in the lens's case. Someone wrote
up the procedure for replacing them a year or so ago, and I didnt'
save the page then. I googled for it, but came up empty handed. Did
anybody here save that web page, or has anybody here disassembled
their HF autodark helmet to replace these?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've had 2 HF a/d helmets for 6 years-never needed to replace the
batteries-yet. I remember the thread, but not the details. But, c'mon,
yer a smart guy, right? You don't really need to be shown, do you?
Hmmm?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:12:51 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

Yes, the solar powered welding helmet does have two coin cell
batteries in it. They're sealed in the lens's case. Someone wrote
up the procedure for replacing them a year or so ago, and I didnt'
save the page then. I googled for it, but came up empty handed. Did
anybody here save that web page, or has anybody here disassembled
their HF autodark helmet to replace these?

RWL

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PTD dot NET wrote:

Yes, the solar powered welding helmet does have two coin cell
batteries in it. They're sealed in the lens's case. Someone wrote
up the procedure for replacing them a year or so ago, and I didnt'
save the page then. I googled for it, but came up empty handed. Did
anybody here save that web page, or has anybody here disassembled
their HF autodark helmet to replace these?

RWL

I wasn't the one who posted about the repair but I did replace the
batteries in mine. I went to Radio Shack and bought two coin cell
holders and the cells to fit them. I then carefully split the case
with my pocket knife, removed the two dead batteries, and soldered
wires to the circuit board where the batteries used to connect. Then
mounted the new cell holders on the outside of the case, soldered the
wires to the holders, and put the case back together. I don't remember
if I glued the case or just heat sealed it with an iron. Anyway, the
cells are now on the outside and can be easily replaced when they need
to be. The cells do ot fall out of the external holders.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

this from dec 2010
================
First posting in joining.welding, I hang out over rec.metal.

My cheapy autodark helmet quit recently, about 3 years old.
I Googled
autodark helmet repair and did not find much, except for
this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e..._thread/threa=
d/d5797c5c51780adf/365364320493c325?lnk=3Dgst&q=3DAuto+dark+welding+h elmet+=
failure#365364320493c325
Hence the cross posting. Summary of which is: all
autodark helmets
w/ solar cells also have batteries, not they have
capacitors,
batteries,=85blah, blah, blah=85.Store your helmet in the
sun to extend
the battery life. The advice was a bit late but I placed
the autodark
module in a southern facing window for 9 weeks. On the
first strike
the autodark was noticeable slow, but was OK for the
following
restrikes. After a 5+ minute pause, the first strike was
once again
slow.

With not too much to loose, I used an Exacto knife and cut
open the
case seam:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...chining/Autod=
arkopenedcr2330batt.jpg
Two CR2330 batteries soldered to the board. I found a
replacement
battery w/ the solder leads attached
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/125...m-w-legs-br-2=
330-vcn.html
but then I thought why not mount the batteries on the
outside of the
case as in this simulation
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...odarkmodulew-=
externalbatt.jpg
There is plenty of room between the module and my forehead
for the
batteries.

So should I stay w/ the 0.255mAh CR2330 battery or go with
something
else since I am no longer constrained by the package space?
If so
what? I found this puppy w/ a much higher capacity
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/121...w-pcterm-cr-2=
477-hfn.html
but it also has a higher self discharge rate.

SO where does one go to buy a very small qty of electrical
components
today? In my youth I stopped by Radio Shack or Olsens
Electronics for
parts. I found a nice looking battery holder online (in min
qtys of
12). I need a battery holder that I can bond or screw/rivet
to the PP
(guess) case of the autodark module. Who are some good
vendors that
are willing to deal in small qty orders and don=92t have
outrageous
shipping rates?

================

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message
Yes, the solar powered welding helmet does have two coin
cell
batteries in it. They're sealed in the lens's case.
Someone wrote
up the procedure for replacing them a year or so ago, and I
didnt'
save the page then. I googled for it, but came up empty
handed. Did
anybody here save that web page, or has anybody here
disassembled
their HF autodark helmet to replace these?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is the title, so you can Google Groups it:

Autodark helmet failure - repair attempt, need battery &
holder advice (by )

There was some discussion about sources of parts, but
nothing I saw on "how to".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message
Yes, the solar powered welding helmet does have two coin
cell
batteries in it. They're sealed in the lens's case.
Someone wrote
up the procedure for replacing them a year or so ago, and I
didnt'
save the page then. I googled for it, but came up empty
handed. Did
anybody here save that web page, or has anybody here
disassembled
their HF autodark helmet to replace these?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:10:09 -0700, JR North
wrote:

I've had 2 HF a/d helmets for 6 years-never needed to replace the
batteries-yet. I remember the thread, but not the details. But, c'mon,
yer a smart guy, right? You don't really need to be shown, do you?

I wonder if the helmet would recharge if left in the sun...

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've had 2 HF a/d helmets for 6 years-never needed to replace the
batteries-yet. I remember the thread, but not the details. But, c'mon,
yer a smart guy, right? You don't really need to be shown, do you?
Hmmm?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Actually mine hasn't quit yet. We had our first evening welding class
last night and one of the young guys mentioned that his HF autodark
helmet quit working. I told him I that I had seen a procedure
somewhere on the net describing replacement of some batteries inside
the one with a solar cell. I couldn't find it when I Googled last
night. I was hoping one of you guys might have saved it or the URL.

Knowing that it's repairable, I could probably muddle through and do
it on my own, but the voice of experience is always helpful rather
than having to reinvent the wheel.

RLW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:53:11 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
Yes, the solar powered welding helmet does have two coin cell
batteries in it. They're sealed in the lens's case. Someone wrote
up the procedure for replacing them a year or so ago, and I didnt'
save the page then. I googled for it, but came up empty handed. Did
anybody here save that web page, or has anybody here disassembled
their HF autodark helmet to replace these?

I went searching for that page a few months ago and also came up blank. Damn
Google borked up the usenet search so we can't find things anymore.
*******s.

Yeah, what happened there? They really stepped on their appendage
there. 2 months later and their search engine is still hosed for the
groups. Time to complain to them again...

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jaques[_4_] View Post
Somewhere in the directions it says the batteries are not rechargeable, and that presumably applies to the solar panel as well (& I don't recall ever running across rechargeable coin-type batts...but that doesn't mean they don't exist). I'm guessing that the solar panel prolongs battery life by providing juice during the use of the helmet, and ditto the intense light from the welding arc.

I was going to use my helmet to look at the Venus crossing and discovered it was dead...after a few years of non-use in the garage. Ridiculous they don't make the batts accessible/changeable.

Cheers, and thanks for the info.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is the link with the instructions:

http://www.pskl.us/wp/?p=648

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2016 11:18 AM, wrote:
This is the link with the instructions:

http://www.pskl.us/wp/?p=648

I'd have tried to put 3VDC thru a 1K resistor into the
dead one for a couple of days to see if it charges.
If it does, stick the helmet in the sun for a day or so.
DO NOT TRY TO QUICK CHARGE IT.

Mine's been in the box for about a decade. Just tried
it and it seems to work, but the next time the sun shows,
I'm gonna set it outside in the sun for a while.

One thing that concerns me is that you're putting 4.5V
on a 3V system. Have no idea what does to the phase
shift of the liquid crystal and how that affects the
attenuation of the light. It's unlikely that
it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake
could be very costly.
Tread carefully while you can still see.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 12:39:12 -0700, mike wrote:

On 9/17/2016 11:18 AM, wrote:
This is the link with the instructions:

http://www.pskl.us/wp/?p=648

I'd have tried to put 3VDC thru a 1K resistor into the
dead one for a couple of days to see if it charges.
If it does, stick the helmet in the sun for a day or so.
DO NOT TRY TO QUICK CHARGE IT.

Mine's been in the box for about a decade. Just tried
it and it seems to work, but the next time the sun shows,
I'm gonna set it outside in the sun for a while.

One thing that concerns me is that you're putting 4.5V
on a 3V system. Have no idea what does to the phase
shift of the liquid crystal and how that affects the
attenuation of the light. It's unlikely that
it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake
could be very costly.
Tread carefully while you can still see.

The UV will be blocked no matter what the liquid crystal shutter does.
Its function is to block visible light.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote:
.... It's unlikely that
it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake
could be very costly.
Tread carefully while you can still see.

The UV filtering is independent of the darkening - it's always on. So,
if it doesn't darken, you would get a flash, but it wouldn't have the
damaging UV in it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 18:44:36 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote:
... It's unlikely that
it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake
could be very costly.
Tread carefully while you can still see.

The UV filtering is independent of the darkening - it's always on. So,
if it doesn't darken, you would get a flash, but it wouldn't have the
damaging UV in it.

Bob

Is that true with all auto-darkening helmets? I didn't realize that.
It makes me feel better about them.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote:
... It's unlikely that
it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake
could be very costly.
Tread carefully while you can still see.

The UV filtering is independent of the darkening - it's always on.
So,
if it doesn't darken, you would get a flash, but it wouldn't have
the
damaging UV in it.

Bob

Is that true with all auto-darkening helmets? I didn't realize that.
It makes me feel better about them.

--
Ed Huntress

My Jackson EQC filters IR and UV when off. The flash doesn't hurt my
eyes when I forget to turn the helmet on.

The flash does hurt the Tungsten when I forget to turn the Argon on.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 19:36:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote:
... It's unlikely that
it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake
could be very costly.
Tread carefully while you can still see.

The UV filtering is independent of the darkening - it's always on.
So,
if it doesn't darken, you would get a flash, but it wouldn't have
the
damaging UV in it.

Bob

Is that true with all auto-darkening helmets? I didn't realize that.
It makes me feel better about them.

--
Ed Huntress

My Jackson EQC filters IR and UV when off. The flash doesn't hurt my
eyes when I forget to turn the helmet on.

That's interesting. I just never thought to ask. It always worried me,
and has kept me from using an auto-darkening helmet. After cataract
surgery in both eyes and 3,000 laser burns on my retina capillaries to
treat diabetic retinopathy, I try to treat them well. Luckily, I can
still see great. I want to keep it that way.

The flash does hurt the Tungsten when I forget to turn the Argon on.

g Yeah, it does do that.

--
Ed Huntress

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote:
[...]

Window glass filters out UV too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S... ickness).svg

That's why auto-darkening sunglasses don't work behind a car
windshield.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote:
[...]

Ha! I never thought of that, either.

--
Ed Huntress

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

wrote:

m...
wrote:

On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote:
[...]

Knowing chemistry and physics clears up much of the mystery of the
world, without diminishing the wonder and appreciation of it.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-17, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 19:36:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[ ... ]

My Jackson EQC filters IR and UV when off. The flash doesn't hurt my
eyes when I forget to turn the helmet on.

That's interesting. I just never thought to ask. It always worried me,
and has kept me from using an auto-darkening helmet. After cataract
surgery in both eyes and 3,000 laser burns on my retina capillaries to
treat diabetic retinopathy, I try to treat them well. Luckily, I can
still see great. I want to keep it that way.

Do you still have the data cards with the cataract replacement
lenses? Mine say that they block UV on their own. (Mind you -- you
still could get sunburn on the eyeball surface, but not as bad as
damaging the retina. (or course, the UV blocking may not be part of all
cataract replacement lenses -- I may have been lucky there.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18 Sep 2016 01:34:46 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-09-17, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 19:36:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[ ... ]

My Jackson EQC filters IR and UV when off. The flash doesn't hurt my
eyes when I forget to turn the helmet on.

That's interesting. I just never thought to ask. It always worried me,
and has kept me from using an auto-darkening helmet. After cataract
surgery in both eyes and 3,000 laser burns on my retina capillaries to
treat diabetic retinopathy, I try to treat them well. Luckily, I can
still see great. I want to keep it that way.

Do you still have the data cards with the cataract replacement
lenses?

Hmm. 'Probably around here somewhere.

Mine say that they block UV on their own. (Mind you -- you
still could get sunburn on the eyeball surface, but not as bad as
damaging the retina. (or course, the UV blocking may not be part of all
cataract replacement lenses -- I may have been lucky there.)

I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the tip, Don.

BTW, after wearing very expensive progressive-lens glasses for eight
or ten years, after the cataract surgery, and my post-surgery eye
test, my doctor announced "you don't need glasses anymore."

Yippee! Now I just wear readers for the computer and reading.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Excellent Youtube "how to" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRLeXKXuuE