DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ratchet spanners (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/327406-ratchet-spanners.html)

[email protected] August 18th 11 04:34 AM

Ratchet spanners

Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Jim Wilkins[_2_] August 18th 11 05:09 AM

Ratchet spanners

wrote in message
Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I've seen one that was supposed to grab in only one direction because of
some curved surfaces on one(?) side of the jaw. I never tried it and don't
remember any link to it.

jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] August 18th 11 05:17 AM

Ratchet spanners

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

wrote in message
Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I've seen one that was supposed to grab in only one direction because of
some curved surfaces on one(?) side of the jaw. I never tried it and don't
remember any link to it.
jsw

Found it!

But not 22mm:

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catal...sp?groupID=895

jsw

Winston August 18th 11 05:24 AM

Ratchet spanners

wrote:
Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=2978
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415263_200415263

These do?

--Winston

Winston August 18th 11 05:35 AM

Ratchet spanners

Winston wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=2978
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415263_200415263

These do?

--Winston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsNX3...eature=related

--Winston

Wild_Bill August 18th 11 10:50 AM

Ratchet spanners

Over the years, I've seen numerous as-seen-on-TV-magic wrenches that have
some notches in the open end pocket, which allow a return swing to work
without sliding or lifting the wrench pocket from the hex fastener (flip
over to apply force the other way), so this design kinda works like a
ratcheting open-end wrench.

So, modifying/grinding a common open-end wrench (possibly copying one of the
types mentioned) might yield a useable 22mm if the fastener torque is
reasonable.

I recently saw a cheap set similar to that style, with a slightly different
gimmic.. which fit both metric and SAE sizes.
They do work, although they're sorta light-duty.. good enuff for bicycle or
car trunk toolkit.
The open ends have 7 notches plus a partial notch.
The box ends are normal-looking 12 point.

They are "Jobsmart" brand from a TSC Tractor Supply Co store.
8-piece Multi-Drive Combination Wrench Set fits 40 sizes, including square
and external torx.
5/16"/8mm to 3/4"/19mm hex sizes.

--
WB

Doug White August 18th 11 02:23 PM

Ratchet spanners

Winston wrote in
:

Winston wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end

of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=2978
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415263_200415263

These do?

--Winston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsNX3...eature=related

The problem with this approach (and some of the others mentioned) is that
it ratchets on the nut. Eventually, it's going to round over the nut.
OK for a 1 shot deal, but not for regular use on the same nut.

Doug White

Winston August 18th 11 03:03 PM

Ratchet spanners

Doug White wrote:
wrote in
:

Winston wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end

of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=2978
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415263_200415263

These do?

--Winston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsNX3...eature=related

The problem with this approach (and some of the others mentioned) is that
it ratchets on the nut.
Eventually, it's going to round over the nut.
OK for a 1 shot deal, but not for regular use on the same nut.

Long before the nut is unservicable, the machine
will be in the scrap heap for other reasons.
( Any design that has 'insufficient tool clearance'
for often - accessed fasteners is likely to have
additional design flaws that will limit the life
of the machine, generally speaking.)

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 18th 11 03:14 PM

Ratchet spanners

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:34:08 -0700, wrote:

Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

http://goo.gl/CSMhH
http://goo.gl/O2YyL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdJfWvPqmc

It looks like most sets only go up to 19mm.
If you have a full 1/6 swing on the wrench, these will work for you.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable

Gerald Miller August 19th 11 03:22 AM

Ratchet spanners

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 05:50:02 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

[...]

I like the inch and a half diameter universal socket wrench I often
see advertised - a half inch square drive tube filled with ~1/8 inch
diameter rods (I never examined one closely enough to determine what
holds them in place, or allows them to grip a nut). Try pulling the
plugs out of a Chrysler 225 slant six with one of these!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

[email protected] August 19th 11 04:38 AM

Ratchet spanners

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:14:13 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:34:08 -0700, wrote:

Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

http://goo.gl/CSMhH
http://goo.gl/O2YyL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdJfWvPqmc

It looks like most sets only go up to 19mm.
If you have a full 1/6 swing on the wrench, these will work for you.

Thank you and all the others. I love this group!
I am glad that I was not crazy and that such things actually exist.
Today I saw one like the Toptul AEAT in our local Lordco. They did not
have 22 mm and would order one - for $76!!!

I think in the end I shall manage with what I got but I shall keep my
options open - now that I know there are some.

BTW someone suggested a crow's foot wrench but I don't think it would
work.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Winston August 19th 11 05:36 AM

Ratchet spanners

wrote:

(...)

Thank you and all the others. I love this group!
I am glad that I was not crazy and that such things actually exist.
Today I saw one like the Toptul AEAT in our local Lordco. They did not
have 22 mm and would order one - for $76!!!

Compared to $13. that isn't much of a bargain:

http://www.wrenhandtools.com/pdf/Top..._PriceList.pdf

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 19th 11 06:16 AM

Ratchet spanners

wrote:

Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

http://goo.gl/CSMhH
http://goo.gl/O2YyL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdJfWvPqmc

It looks like most sets only go up to 19mm.
If you have a full 1/6 swing on the wrench, these will work for you.

Thank you and all the others. I love this group!
I am glad that I was not crazy and that such things actually exist.
Today I saw one like the Toptul AEAT in our local Lordco. They did not
have 22 mm and would order one - for $76!!!

I think in the end I shall manage with what I got but I shall keep my
options open - now that I know there are some.

BTW someone suggested a crow's foot wrench but I don't think it would
work.

I don't think they make a 22mm line wrench, but you could look.
They're used for brake and hydraulic lines.

http://ehardware77.ecrater.com/p/106...ng-line-wrench
Winnie's style, half Lordco's price.

Bob La Londe[_2_] August 21st 11 12:21 AM

Ratchet spanners

wrote in message
Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I've got some floppy jaw wrenches I use once in a while in tight quarters
where I can't get an open end wrench. I don't think mine would handle 22mm,
but there might be a bigger one around. Heck, might be able to do it with a
sink basin wrench if you don't mind roughing up the fastener a little.