DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What bearings to use in Bridgeport spindles (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/326769-what-bearings-use-bridgeport-spindles.html)

Ignoramus5931 July 31st 11 09:29 PM

What bearings to use in Bridgeport spindles

Ccould someone remind me what bearings (dimensions) go into lower part
of a Bridgeport spindle?

thanks

PrecisionmachinisT July 31st 11 10:19 PM

"Ignoramus5931" wrote in message
Ccould someone remind me what bearings (dimensions) go into lower part
of a Bridgeport spindle?

Pretty sure on the r8 spindle it is 2MM207* in Fafnir

Industry std nomenclature would be 7207* followed by a letter to designate
contact angle, probably B or C

In Barden it would just be 207

SNFA has a ******* numbering system IIRC so you'd have to look it up using
the boundry dimenions.

Here's a nice bearing manual in .pdf

http://www.kalamaprecision.com/bearingmanual/

Jon Anderson August 1st 11 12:27 AM

On 7/31/2011 1:19 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Pretty sure on the r8 spindle it is 2MM207* in Fafnir

I've got a set of Fafnir's bought on ebay, waiting for time and
motivation to install. Box says 2MM207WI DUL, additional info says 100%
tested per ABMA STD 13, ABEC 9-MMV

There's a couple folks selling these and the Barden bearings on ebay.
Might do well to price shop. I don't recall what I paid, but it was a
lot less than list price in the MSC catalog.

Jon

Ignoramus5931 August 1st 11 02:32 AM

On 2011-07-31, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus5931" wrote in message
Ccould someone remind me what bearings (dimensions) go into lower part
of a Bridgeport spindle?

Pretty sure on the r8 spindle it is 2MM207* in Fafnir

Got it. Thanks. I have two pairs of 2MM9107WI, and wonder where they
go, I thought Bridgeport.

Industry std nomenclature would be 7207* followed by a letter to designate
contact angle, probably B or C

In Barden it would just be 207

SNFA has a ******* numbering system IIRC so you'd have to look it up using
the boundry dimenions.

Here's a nice bearing manual in .pdf

http://www.kalamaprecision.com/bearingmanual/

This is awesome. Thanks

PrecisionmachinisT August 1st 11 05:14 AM

On 2011-07-31, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus5931" wrote in message
Ccould someone remind me what bearings (dimensions) go into lower part
of a Bridgeport spindle?

Pretty sure on the r8 spindle it is 2MM207* in Fafnir

Got it. Thanks. I have two pairs of 2MM9107WI, and wonder where they
go, I thought Bridgeport.

Too small at 35X62X28--I would guess they were probably being stocked for a
grinding wheel head of some sort and not for something with a through-hole.

They would also be about the right size for a low-load high-speed ball screw
thrust bearing depending on actual contact angle.

Here's a nice bearing manual in .pdf

http://www.kalamaprecision.com/bearingmanual/

This is awesome. Thanks

You're perfectly welcome.

RS at work August 5th 11 03:48 AM

On Jul 31, 4:27*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 7/31/2011 1:19 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Pretty sure on the r8 spindle it is 2MM207* in Fafnir

I've got a set of Fafnir's bought on ebay, waiting for time and
motivation to install. Box says 2MM207WI DUL, additional info says *100%
tested per ABMA STD 13, ABEC 9-MMV

There's a couple folks selling these and the Barden bearings on ebay.
Might do well to price shop. I don't recall what I paid, but it was a
lot less than list price in the MSC catalog.

Jon

ABEC 9? That sounds to me like a bearing for a surface grinder. If
you got it cheap, you got a real deal. If memory serves a mill
usually uses something like an ABEC 3 (Use caution here, It has been
something like 20 years since I checked up on bearings) and a table
saw would uses the common ABEC 1. Price goes way up in between.

Roger Shoaf

Ignoramus14275 August 5th 11 04:13 AM

On 2011-08-05, RS at work wrote:
[...]

Yes, I think that these are for Cincinnati #2 grinders.

Jon Anderson August 6th 11 01:00 AM

On 8/4/2011 6:48 PM, RS at work wrote:

ABEC 9? That sounds to me like a bearing for a surface grinder. If
you got it cheap, you got a real deal. If memory serves a mill
usually uses something like an ABEC 3 (

IIRC, paid something like $125 for the pair. ABEC9 is more than I need
for sure, but it's not like I paid full rate for them.
Nothing like a like a little overkill...

Jon