DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Polishing dark iron (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/326761-re-polishing-dark-iron.html)

[email protected] July 31st 11 01:44 AM

Polishing dark iron

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:59:13 -0500, Ignoramus7018
wrote:

Often times, I come across a metal part or surface that used to be
shiny, but has acquired a bit of rust. After "rust removal" with a
wirebrush, there is no rust (duh), but the surface is dark colored
instead of shiny. It is smooth to touch, but does not have the
original reflective appearance.

My question is how can I restore it, is it as difficult as
restoration of virginity, or doable? Any polishing wheels that can
accomplish that? I would prefer something that can go on an angle
grinder.

I like these (top two items):

http://www.kbctools.com/can/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=599

Michael Koblic,