DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/326468-thumbscrew-helios-vernier-caliper-sought.html)

Joseph Gwinn July 25th 11 04:21 AM

Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought

I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that
clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in
http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm.

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

[email protected] July 25th 11 04:35 AM

On Jul 24, 9:21*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that
clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in
http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm.

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Um, make one, maybe? Should be easy with a lathe. Make a couple for
future losses. Metric dies are available these days.

Stan

PrecisionmachinisT July 25th 11 07:49 AM

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that
clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in
http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm.

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Why not fcking make one yourself ?

sheesh....

Denis G.[_2_] July 25th 11 11:50 AM

On Jul 24, 10:21*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that
clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in
http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm.

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

I have a cache of hardware from collecting and dissambling old
electronic components. If you have such a junkpile, you could find a
similar screw. Press on a knurled cap ... Voila!

Dennis July 25th 11 12:18 PM

On 25/07/2011 11:21 AM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that
clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in
http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm.

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

If cutting the thread worries you cut some thread off a machine screw
and just make the knurled boss part. Thread lock the stub of thread in
to the boss & you're done.

Joseph Gwinn July 25th 11 01:41 PM

Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought

In article ,
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that
clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in
http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm.

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Why not fcking make one yourself ?

sheesh....

1. My lathe is a bit large for such a small screw, and my lathe doesn't
do metric anyway.

2. The actual screws are hardened steel, so they don't mush out in use.
Typically, the threads are ground after hardening. I don't have the
equipment.

3. While I can buy a box of M2.5-0.35 machine screws, they will be
soft. Maybe one can get socket head screws that are harder. (Not clear
that socket head screws are made that small.)

3. I bet these thumbscrews cost all of $5.00 each when bought as a
repair part, and they are perfectly suited to the purpose.

Joe Gwinn

Jim Stewart July 25th 11 06:24 PM

Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought

I believe I have a Helios caliper somewhere that's
damaged beyond repair. I'd be happy to send you
the thumbscrew if it's still on it and it will fit
yours. If you don't hear from me in a day or two,
send me an email to jog my memory.

Joseph Gwinn July 26th 11 04:04 AM

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that
clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in
http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm.

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

That would be nice. Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

asheksp August 16th 11 10:54 AM

Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...ht-511402-.htm
asheksp wrote:
Please Visit
http://sexca.shopping.officelive.com/default.aspx

Joseph Gwinn October 29th 12 12:19 AM

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a nice Helios vernier caliper that lacks only the thumbscrew that
clamps the precision adjuster.

The fine adjusted is the right-hand clamp screw that sticks up in the
upper diagram in
http://www.gagesgalore.com/Fowler/Calipers_Vernier_Selections.htm.

The screwthread appears to be M2.5-0.35mm.

Anyway, anybody have any idea where to get a replacement thumbscrew?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Huh? A blast from the past.

Joe Gwinn