DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Reamer Usage (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/324732-reamer-usage.html)

Bob La Londe[_5_] June 16th 11 05:06 PM

Reamer Usage

How much material (depth of cut) should you plan to remove with a .125"
reamer in brass for a precise bore?
(diameter, obviously the direction and position will be dictated by the
accuracy of the original drilled hole)

How fast would you turn it, or in a lathe the work piece?

What lubricant / coolant would you use?

Karl Townsend June 16th 11 06:53 PM

Reamer Usage

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:06:38 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

How much material (depth of cut) should you plan to remove with a .125"
reamer in brass for a precise bore?
(diameter, obviously the direction and position will be dictated by the
accuracy of the original drilled hole)

How fast would you turn it, or in a lathe the work piece?

What lubricant / coolant would you use?

I'd use a #31 drill, or about 5 thou under. If in a lathe go real slow
in back gear, like 50 RPM. I'd use a spritz of WD40. Not sure I have
the corner on knowledge, just what I'd do.

Karl

Tim Wescott June 16th 11 07:29 PM

Reamer Usage

On 06/16/2011 09:06 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
How much material (depth of cut) should you plan to remove with a .125"
reamer in brass for a precise bore?
(diameter, obviously the direction and position will be dictated by the
accuracy of the original drilled hole)

How fast would you turn it, or in a lathe the work piece?

What lubricant / coolant would you use?

I didn't start using reamers at a young enough age to know by direct
knowledge; I've been told "reamers like to cut", and I've always given
them plenty of meat (5 to 15 thou) to go through -- and I've almost
always had good success. About the only problems I've had have been
traceable to poor work holding leading to bell-mouthing.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Lewis Hartswick June 16th 11 11:17 PM

Reamer Usage

Bob La Londe wrote:
in brass

What lubricant / coolant would you use?

None. cut it dry.
...lew...

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 17th 11 02:59 AM

Reamer Usage

wrote:

How much material (depth of cut) should you plan to remove with a .125"
reamer in brass for a precise bore?
(diameter, obviously the direction and position will be dictated by the
accuracy of the original drilled hole)

How fast would you turn it, or in a lathe the work piece?

What lubricant / coolant would you use?

I'd use a #31 drill, or about 5 thou under. If in a lathe go real slow
in back gear, like 50 RPM. I'd use a spritz of WD40. Not sure I have
the corner on knowledge, just what I'd do.

Karl

Sounds reasonable.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Randy333 June 17th 11 01:40 PM

Reamer Usage

wrote:

How much material (depth of cut) should you plan to remove with a .125"
reamer in brass for a precise bore?
(diameter, obviously the direction and position will be dictated by the
accuracy of the original drilled hole)

How fast would you turn it, or in a lathe the work piece?

What lubricant / coolant would you use?

4584 RPM Feed = 0.0015 per rev. or 6.87 IPM

drill with #31 drill 0.1200"

cut dry, maybe air blast to clear chips out.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy