Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spinning Metal

Think prop spinner for a model airplane (is this sounding familiar?)

Assuming that I'm not turning from solid (oh, it sure is!), how hard is
this going to be on a Smithy-sized lathe (7" swing over the ways, cheap
Chinese construction). I'm thinking that I'd use soft aluminum, no
thicker than 50 mil and probably more like 30 or 40.

I've never spun metal before, but I've seen videos so I know I'll be
able to do it with hand-made tools, like a pro, the very first time.

While we're on the subject -- how do you spin a piece that's rounded on
the end? Make a dimple in your sheet, then spin down from there?
You've got to have some surface area on the tail stock, don't you?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

metal spinning LLBrown Metalworking 4 December 3rd 08 03:36 PM
Metal Spinning Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 3 February 28th 06 03:21 PM
metal spinning mirrors Nick Woodturning 9 August 3rd 05 03:56 PM
Metal spinning tools Eric Fretheim Metalworking 7 March 1st 05 01:08 PM
Metal spinning DVD due for release Terry Metalworking 0 March 1st 05 01:05 PM