Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A piece of history

Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 01:10:48 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Nice looking planer.

And yes..Ive run both planers and shapers

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

Sure, a planer. I ran one for a while with a 15 ft. bed and that was
hardly a "big" one.

Really quite the thing for producing flat surfaces. We used to bolt
down the table full of table saw tables (a little redundancy there :-)
and make one roughing pass and one finish pass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Cool! Looks like a very early scraper.

--
"The history of temperature change over time is related to
the shape of the continents, the shape of the sea floor,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 4:10*am, "Howard Beal" wrote:
Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

It looks a lot like a Wood, Light and Company planer made about the
time of the Civil War.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jun 15, 4:10 am, "Howard Beal" wrote:
Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

It looks a lot like a Wood, Light and Company planer made about the
time of the Civil War.

Dan

Wow that realy is old. The electric motor would have been added
much later. It looks like its complete and nothing is broken off.
To bad its so far away from me, i would like to own it.
Shure would look cute in the shop.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

Link does not work for me. does not even look right?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Beal" wrote in message
Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

That's a little old planer. It's really old -- much older than the 1917
vertical mill I recently got rid of.

Planers that small fell out of favor as milling machines got better and more
popular. But the really big ones are still in use -- although most of them
have been converted to planer/mills.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:

wrote in message
On Jun 15, 4:10 am, "Howard Beal" wrote:
Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

It looks a lot like a Wood, Light and Company planer made about the
time of the Civil War.

Dan

Wow that realy is old. The electric motor would have been added
much later. It looks like its complete and nothing is broken off.
To bad its so far away from me, i would like to own it.
Shure would look cute in the shop.

Yeah, but could you get a CNC conversion?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
azotic wrote:

(...)

Wow that realy is old. The electric motor would have been added
much later. It looks like its complete and nothing is broken off.
To bad its so far away from me, i would like to own it.
Shure would look cute in the shop.

Yeah, but could you get a CNC conversion?

It'd make a dandy base for a CNC bridge mill!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
azotic wrote:

(...)

Wow that realy is old. The electric motor would have been added
much later. It looks like its complete and nothing is broken off.
To bad its so far away from me, i would like to own it.
Shure would look cute in the shop.

Yeah, but could you get a CNC conversion?

It'd make a dandy base for a CNC bridge mill!

--Winston

Yeah Baby! Steampunk CNC!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:28:40 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Winston wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
azotic wrote:

(...)

Wow that realy is old. The electric motor would have been added
much later. It looks like its complete and nothing is broken off.
To bad its so far away from me, i would like to own it.
Shure would look cute in the shop.

Yeah, but could you get a CNC conversion?

It'd make a dandy base for a CNC bridge mill!

--Winston

Yeah Baby! Steampunk CNC!

--Winston

OOOOH!! I like it!!!!

Btw..do you guys follow...

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

Start from the beginning. Its a very good cartoon!

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Other than slow death for Batman, what's it do?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Howard Beal" wrote in message
Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

Link does not work for me. does not even look right?

It is terribly formatted. Two open parens, a bang '!', and a $
(lead in for an environment variable in unix, not to metnion the double
tildes. :-)

I could not download it with wget (even with proper quoting to
protect the wierdnesses), but by cut and pasting it into a browser I was
able to get to it -- then save the image with a sane name.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone here ever run one of these machines?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE3IC4mVJ(BN99K4vB-Q~~_3.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

Link does not work for me. does not even look right?

It is terribly formatted. Two open parens, a bang '!', and a $
(lead in for an environment variable in unix, not to metnion the double
tildes. :-)

Windows/Firefox choked either on the $ or the open parens. I cut and
pasted the rest and it came right up. What a PITA!

I could not download it with wget (even with proper quoting to
protect the wierdnesses), but by cut and pasting it into a browser I was
able to get to it -- then save the image with a sane name.

I grabbed Google's URL shortener and it spits out nice, tiny URLs.
It's a Firefox add-on which puts a little circular G button on the
location bar. I click it, it loads my clipboard, and I can paste it
anywhere. I switched from another shortener (which wasn't updated for
Firefox at the time) and am happy with it.

--
Happiness is when what you think, what
you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 5:43*pm, Steve Ackman
* Yup. *Table was about 6' x 16', post WWII, but just.
There were actually WWII and pre-WWII era machines still
in use at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the early 80s.
Seemed out of place next to the CNCs.

I didn't see any interesting antiques in their machine shop at the
June 2000 open house. They had the biggest lathes I've ever seen,
holding Boomer propellor shafts.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Windows/Firefox choked either on the $ or the open parens. I cut and
pasted the rest and it came right up. What a PITA!

Worked OK for me with Firefox 4.0.1

ISS History jeff_wisnia Metalworking 0 October 5th 09 06:20 PM
History of UK DIY? The Medway Handyman UK diy 70 March 26th 08 11:30 PM
OT - New One piece Bearings versus two piece style stone Metalworking 4 March 27th 06 03:56 PM
Toilet questions- 1 piece versus 2 piece toilets KOS Home Ownership 1 September 29th 05 03:25 PM
Got to touch a piece of history today Jon Anderson Metalworking 4 May 31st 05 04:16 PM