Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old May 19th 11, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,444
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

Ignoramus15557 wrote:
Guys... I am not talking to anyone specifically right now... I sense a
little bit of B/S on this topic.


(...)

No fabrication you say?

Ooooo. I *like*:
http://www.westernmule.com/spec_shee...per_Crane.html

--Winston

  #22   Report Post  
Old May 19th 11, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,981
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

On May 18, 8:09*pm, Ignoramus15557 [email protected]
15557.invalid wrote:
Guys... I am not talking to anyone specifically right now... I sense a
little bit of B/S on this topic.


i


One reason I thought about mounting the new crane on a trailer
designed for it, was that it would give you a way to lift things
weighing up to 5000 lbs. Mounted on your truck, it will be limited.
Plus you would not be hauling around 300 plus lbs all the time.

Dan

  #24   Report Post  
Old May 19th 11, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,146
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

On May 18, 9:36*pm, Ignoramus15557 [email protected]
15557.invalid wrote:
On 2011-05-19, wrote:

On May 18, 8:09?pm, Ignoramus15557 [email protected]
15557.invalid wrote:
Guys... I am not talking to anyone specifically right now... I sense a
little bit of B/S on this topic.


One reason I thought about mounting the new crane on a trailer
designed for it, was that it would give you a way to lift *things
weighing up to 5000 lbs. *Mounted on your truck, it will be limited.
Plus you would not be hauling around 300 plus lbs all the time.


I do not particularly need a crane on a trailer, but a crane on a
truck would be very helpful. If I need to take a trailer someplace,
a forklift would probably be there. The trailer sits lower, and I made
some steel ramps that fit it, so I can use ramps with the trailer.

I do not have truck ramps and it is so high that I am somewhat afraid
to use ramps with my truck.

With a crane, I can pick up a lot of things whenever I want, I do not
need to set myself up for a trailer trip.

i


I've sometimes wished I had a second mounting location in the center
near the front so I could winch bulky rolling loads such as my tractor
or log splitter up ramps. My crane base doesn't allow that but yours
might.

My small crane can be locked in the cab to hinder theft when I'm
predictably occupied elsewhere, like at an auction.

jsw
  #25   Report Post  
Old May 19th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 897
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:09:01 -0500, Ignoramus15557
wrote:

Guys... I am not talking to anyone specifically right now... I sense a
little bit of B/S on this topic.

Right now, I have a crane that lifts 500 lbs, mounted on a 1x1 foot
plate, with angle iron underneath the bed holding it in [place with
thru bolts. While it is slightly shaky, it works just fine.

With this Ramco crane, I am going to have a crane that would lift
about twice more weight -- 1k lbs -- supported by a 3x4 foot
plate. That is 12 times more area than the 1x1 foot plate! Even if it
is not evenly distributed across the plate, it is still a hell of a
lot more support and weight distribution than a 1x1 foot plate.

I think that I will be just fine with it without fabricating any funky
adapters and bolting them to the frame.

i

I don't know the weight of your 5,000 lb. capacity crane or your
plate, but assuming that your plate is 3/4" and the crane weighs 500
lbs then you have a maximum weight of components plus load of 5,868
lbs. divided by 1728"2 = ~3.4 psi.

I just measured the area of one foot and weighed myself. If I stand on
one foot in the back of your pickup I will exert a force of ~5.36 psi.




  #26   Report Post  
Old May 19th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,529
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup


"john B." wrote in message
...
On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:09:01 -0500, Ignoramus15557
wrote:

Guys... I am not talking to anyone specifically right now... I sense a
little bit of B/S on this topic.

Right now, I have a crane that lifts 500 lbs, mounted on a 1x1 foot
plate, with angle iron underneath the bed holding it in [place with
thru bolts. While it is slightly shaky, it works just fine.

With this Ramco crane, I am going to have a crane that would lift
about twice more weight -- 1k lbs -- supported by a 3x4 foot
plate. That is 12 times more area than the 1x1 foot plate! Even if it
is not evenly distributed across the plate, it is still a hell of a
lot more support and weight distribution than a 1x1 foot plate.

I think that I will be just fine with it without fabricating any funky
adapters and bolting them to the frame.

i

I don't know the weight of your 5,000 lb. capacity crane or your
plate, but assuming that your plate is 3/4" and the crane weighs 500
lbs then you have a maximum weight of components plus load of 5,868
lbs. divided by 1728"2 = ~3.4 psi.

I just measured the area of one foot and weighed myself. If I stand on
one foot in the back of your pickup I will exert a force of ~5.36 psi.


I haven't followed this and I may have missed this point, but I would think
that the issue here is not transferring the load evenly to the area of the
plate, but rather the effect of the lever arm, with the weight loaded some
distance from the center of the vertical column. That's what I'm picturing
as the "crane," anyway.

And if that's the case, then the specific load on the edges of the plate can
be many, many times the force of lifting the load.

--
Ed Huntress


  #27   Report Post  
Old May 19th 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,444
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

I've sometimes wished I had a second mounting location in the center
near the front so I could winch bulky rolling loads such as my tractor
or log splitter up ramps. My crane base doesn't allow that but yours
might.

My small crane can be locked in the cab to hinder theft when I'm
predictably occupied elsewhere, like at an auction.


That's why I'm jazzed about the crane that folds into the
truck bumper when not in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGR-ka__4WU

Cool!

--Winston
  #28   Report Post  
Old May 19th 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,746
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup


Ed Huntress wrote:

"john B." wrote in message
...
On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:09:01 -0500, Ignoramus15557
wrote:

Guys... I am not talking to anyone specifically right now... I sense a
little bit of B/S on this topic.

Right now, I have a crane that lifts 500 lbs, mounted on a 1x1 foot
plate, with angle iron underneath the bed holding it in [place with
thru bolts. While it is slightly shaky, it works just fine.

With this Ramco crane, I am going to have a crane that would lift
about twice more weight -- 1k lbs -- supported by a 3x4 foot
plate. That is 12 times more area than the 1x1 foot plate! Even if it
is not evenly distributed across the plate, it is still a hell of a
lot more support and weight distribution than a 1x1 foot plate.

I think that I will be just fine with it without fabricating any funky
adapters and bolting them to the frame.

i

I don't know the weight of your 5,000 lb. capacity crane or your
plate, but assuming that your plate is 3/4" and the crane weighs 500
lbs then you have a maximum weight of components plus load of 5,868
lbs. divided by 1728"2 = ~3.4 psi.

I just measured the area of one foot and weighed myself. If I stand on
one foot in the back of your pickup I will exert a force of ~5.36 psi.


I haven't followed this and I may have missed this point, but I would think
that the issue here is not transferring the load evenly to the area of the
plate, but rather the effect of the lever arm, with the weight loaded some
distance from the center of the vertical column. That's what I'm picturing
as the "crane," anyway.

And if that's the case, then the specific load on the edges of the plate can
be many, many times the force of lifting the load.

--
Ed Huntress


I'm sure if he searches truck / service crane manufacturer's sites, he
will find plenty of installation guidance that does not include a big
plate of steel in the pickup bed.
  #29   Report Post  
Old May 19th 11, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,924
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup


Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've sometimes wished I had a second mounting location in the center
near the front so I could winch bulky rolling loads such as my tractor
or log splitter up ramps. My crane base doesn't allow that but yours
might.

My small crane can be locked in the cab to hinder theft when I'm
predictably occupied elsewhere, like at an auction.



I made a frame that uses a pair of J bolts to hold my 12V winch to
pull the riding mower into my truck. The 1997 Dakota has a pair of tie
downs under plastic plugs near the cab. The frame sits over them, and
is bolted in place, then I slide the winch on the mounting studs when I
need to use it. I can remove the frame in a couple minutes when i need
the full bed area.


--
It's easy to think outside the box, when you have a cutting torch.
  #30   Report Post  
Old May 20th 11, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2008
Posts: 110
Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

I think, better still, is put the plate beneath the frame as bolts
could pull out if bolted on top.

Joe

On Tue, 17 May 2011 22:22:52 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:


"Ignoramus31865" wrote in message
m...
On 2011-05-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

I have a GM 3/4 ton pickup.

I won, in an auction, a "Ramco RM5000" crane. This crane is similar to
the Harbor Freight truck crane, but is a lot beefier.

It is pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Ramco-RM5000-Truck-Crane.jpg

(not mine, but an identical model).

This is rated for 5k pounds, I am sure for the boom fully retracted.

It has a 8,000 lbs jack. I will put in a longer boom too, and a
winch. I am aware that extending the boom will decrease capacity
proportionally, so a boom that is 4 foot would decrease capacity of
the crane to, say, 1,500 lbs or whatever. I have to call the mfr to
find out. This is stillw ay better than my HF crane.

I have a very large 3/4 inch steel plate, I would say 3x4 feet, that
is rusting in my backyard.

What I thought of doing, is making a cutout on the plate to fit around
a wheel well, and mount it in the back of the truck's bed, and put the
crane on top of it. The Ramco crane would sit in the rear right corner
of the bed, just like this Harbor Freight crane does now:

http://goo.gl/KAN0Y

It has to be a large plate, to spread the weight of the crane and the
levering action that its base would apply to the bed. This particular
plate weighs around 300 lbs and is large enough.

My question is, what sort of constraints do I still have. I would hate
to overturn my truck, break suspension, etc. I would also think that
for heavy lifting, I would need to jack up the right rear wheel too.

Any practical opinions?

i

A crane with that weight capacity really needs to be mounted to the
frame, not to pickup bed sheetmetal. I think typically it would be
mounted with a beefy bracket under the bed to the frame. A support leg
(trailer jack) for the corner of the truck with the crane is common for
the heavier cranes so you don't apply a concentrated load to the
suspension on one side of the truck and also to stabilize it so it stays
level during the lift instead of tilting to that side.


What I was going to do is put a steel plate, 3x4 feet or so, on the
bed and bolt it to the bed. Would that not be enough support for the
crane? I already have this plate and it is huge.

i


The bed is probably not more than 18 gauge, right? Plus as soon as you put
that plate on top it will rust out fast. Pete is right, also don't weld the
bracket to your frame, bolt it.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stabilizing a HF Shop Crane GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 4 July 28th 09 05:10 AM
HF truck crane Ignoramus10340 Metalworking 31 November 3rd 07 03:23 PM
hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane [email protected] UK diy 23 October 5th 05 11:56 PM
Old Crane Sink [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 21st 05 03:53 PM
1957 Crane Sink David McCulloch Home Repair 16 January 31st 04 06:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017