DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bending Aluminium Strips (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/323310-re-bending-aluminium-strips.html)

TrailRat May 16th 11 09:29 AM

Bending Aluminium Strips

"Would it be possible to put the bends in over a former, cold, without the strip bending?"

I guess I should have said, without the strip breaking, not bending!!

Jim Wilkins May 16th 11 12:48 PM

Bending Aluminium Strips

On May 16, 4:29*am, TrailRat wrote:
"Would it be possible to put the bends in over a former, cold, without the strip bending?"

I guess I should have said, without the strip breaking, not bending!!

Try the bends on a practice piece first. Aluminum is easy to bend but
making neat bends the right size is harder.

jsw

Phil Kangas[_3_] May 16th 11 02:18 PM

Bending Aluminium Strips

"Jim Wilkins"
wrote in message On May 16, 4:29 am, T
railRat wrote:
"Would it be possible to put the bends in over a
former, cold, without the strip bending?"

I guess I should have said, without the strip
breaking, not bending!!

Try the bends on a practice piece first. Aluminum
is easy to bend but
making neat bends the right size is harder.

jsw

Heat the bar hot enough to char a pine stick and
then quench it in water.
You have a few hours to work it till it 'stiffens'
again.
phil

Jim Wilkins May 16th 11 02:36 PM

Bending Aluminium Strips

railRat wrote:
"Would it be possible to put the bends in over a
former, cold, without the strip bending?"

I guess I should have said, without the strip
breaking, not bending!!

Try the bends on a practice piece first. Aluminum
is easy to bend but
making neat bends the right size is harder.

jsw

Heat the bar hot enough to char a pine stick and
then quench it in water.
You have a few hours to work it till it 'stiffens'
again.
phil

I bend the hardware store stuff cold, made all my gutter hangers out
of it, with open tops to clear the long-handled cleaning scoop.

Are you thinking of 2024?

jsw

Ed Huntress May 16th 11 02:55 PM

Bending Aluminium Strips

railRat wrote:
"Would it be possible to put the bends in over a former, cold, without
the strip bending?"

I guess I should have said, without the strip breaking, not bending!!

Try the bends on a practice piece first. Aluminum is easy to bend but
making neat bends the right size is harder.

jsw

Heat the bar hot enough to char a pine stick and then quench it in water.
You have a few hours to work it till it 'stiffens' again.
phil

You're assuming he's bending 2024. If it's 6061, he has days. If it's 1100
or some other architectural grade bought at a big-box store, he has forever.

--
Ed Huntress