Old April 25th 11, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:22:57 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

Old April 25th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

They were, but they could have taken a damaging bite out of Fort Knox if
they cashed in.

The thing was, the Bretton Woods signers were supposed to know that you
don't try to screw the central bank of another member unless you're ready to
go to war.

The French didn't seem to get it. So we dropped the gold standard
altogether. Screw them.

--
Ed Huntress

Old April 25th 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:37:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

They were, but they could have taken a damaging bite out of Fort Knox if
they cashed in.

What could be so damaging about exchanging one thing for something
else of equal value?

Old April 25th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

They were, but they could have taken a damaging bite out of Fort Knox if
they cashed in.

What could be so damaging about exchanging one thing for something
else of equal value?

Spehro, if you want to get into this subject, either tell me what you really
know or find out for yourself. I'm sorry, but this is a long one, and I'm
short of time for getting into it.

The froggies were trying to pull a DeGaulle-type power play, trying to knock
the US out of its role of running the world's reserve currency. They were
still resentful about having lost their pre-eminence in the world and they
were pretty miserable about it. They had their own ideas about how the
Bretton Woods regime was supposed to work, and they didn't see themselves
filling a secondary role.

You can take it from there.

--
Ed Huntress

Old April 26th 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

They were, but they could have taken a damaging bite out of Fort Knox if
they cashed in.

What could be so damaging about exchanging one thing for something
else of equal value?

Spehro, if you want to get into this subject, either tell me what you really
know or find out for yourself. I'm sorry, but this is a long one, and I'm
short of time for getting into it.

My point is that the arrangement was already full of cracks and the
pillars were collapsing - the US was running huge deficits, in part to
finance the wars in Asia- with no political will to contain
expenditures.. and the dollar was no longer nearly as good as gold. In
fact, parallel private markets valued it quite a bit lower at the
time. The Frenchies (and Swiss etc.) were aiming to be first out the
door.. the gold standard has seldom survived a significant war.

The froggies were trying to pull a DeGaulle-type power play, trying to knock
the US out of its role of running the world's reserve currency. They were
still resentful about having lost their pre-eminence in the world and they
were pretty miserable about it. They had their own ideas about how the
Bretton Woods regime was supposed to work, and they didn't see themselves
filling a secondary role.

That may be, but we've almost come full circle.

You can take it from there.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Old April 26th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

It's true that the US monetary position was very weak because of the cost of
Vietnam and the Great Society, without commensurate tax increases (sound
familiar?). Germany started buying US gold. Then we talked to them and
pointed out that it might be in their short-term benefit, but they were
doing damage to the whole Bretton Woods system and international currency
stabilities by doing so. So they agreed to hold dollars and stopped buying
gold.

The French didn't care. Rather, they felt that they knew better how to run
the world's currency. This was kind of ironic because the true exchange
rates of the franc had been bouncing all over, and, under Bretton Woods,
they had been forced to abandon export subsidies and other self-centered
policies.

But they were out only for themselves. What the French were trying to do was
to take advantage of the pegged gold price to buy US gold, and then to turn
around and sell it on the private market, where prices were not pegged and
were floating up.

They didn't want to hold gold. They wanted to weaken the US's political and
economic position in the world.

One thing I learned from my study of comparative politics, which I studied
in French Switzerland in 1968, was this: Never attribute responsibility to
any action by the French government, that can be explained simply by their
desire to assert their superiority by putting someone else down. As a
student in Europe at the time, I have my own opinions about French attitudes
toward the US during the Vietnam war, and they aren't pretty. They had been
humiliated that we had to take over their anti-communist insurgency after
they were defeated. By aligning themselves against us in the '60s and '70s,
they assuaged their humiliation and simultaneously promoted themselves as
the great moralists. That was *after* Algeria. Sheesh.

The froggies were trying to pull a DeGaulle-type power play, trying to
knock
the US out of its role of running the world's reserve currency. They were
still resentful about having lost their pre-eminence in the world and they
were pretty miserable about it. They had their own ideas about how the
Bretton Woods regime was supposed to work, and they didn't see themselves
filling a secondary role.

That may be, but we've almost come full circle.

Well, we're back in the same place, and some of the same forces brought us
here.

--
Ed Huntress

Old November 16th 19, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, wow! I feel you, mate!

Dealing with back pain can be incredibly difficult, especially if it is a chronic condition. If you want to get relief that lasts, you need to find something that addresses the cause of your problem.

There are many guides to curing back pain online, but the Back Pain Breakthrough is unique if you ask me. To get almost INSTANT relief from crippling low back pain and sciatica - take a look at the Back Pain Breakthrough program.

The Back Pain Breakthrough is a program for providing people with relief from back pain that is backed up by hard scientific evidence. All of the information in this guide is rooted in medical fact. It is partially based on a centuries old drawing by Leonardo da Vinci that details the anatomy of the back. It contains some incredible insights into how the human body functions that can be used to relieve even severe back pain. This program doesn’t require you to follow a rigorous exercise routine or use any nonsensical methods. It was created by a doctor who is one of the world’s leading authorities on back and neck pain.

I just did a quick Google search, here's an awesome review I found of the Back Pain Breakthrough book: https://mrproductreviews.info/review...ugh/index.html

Good luck in your health journey!

harvest pain Jon[_12_] Electronics 0 April 18th 10 03:26 AM
Chair for back pain Kevin Cleary Woodturning 6 March 31st 08 04:57 PM
Chair for back pain mac davis[_3_] Woodturning 0 March 29th 08 03:42 PM
Yoga Lessons for Lower back pain Stella Home Repair 0 August 3rd 07 10:50 AM
OT sudden back pain Ignoramus21303 Metalworking 29 May 7th 06 06:52 AM