DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shim Stock (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/321607-re-shim-stock.html)

whit3rd April 11th 11 11:31 PM

Shim Stock

On Friday, April 8, 2011 11:42:19 PM UTC-7, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:
"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Friday, April 8, 2011 2:51:42 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
I bought a piece of stainless shim stock ... and it
just occurred to me that I have no idea how to cut it cleanly

Fastest material removal was with some mild nitric acid solution,
but that's a bad idea if you don't have a fume hood, because there
are some brown gasses involved.

Nitric acid will not dissolve 300 series stainless.

I was applying electricity; the passivating layer on the stainless was
pretty easily breached, and then the nitric DOES attack the metal.
I tried salt, too (not as effective as HNO3). There must be a good
standard etchant, I've got a business card that's marvelously
detailed, etched in stainless, from Acu-Line (phone 206-634-1618
in Seattle, WA, USA).

Bob La Londe[_5_] April 12th 11 03:50 AM

Shim Stock

wrote:
"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Friday, April 8, 2011 2:51:42 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
I bought a piece of stainless shim stock ... and it
just occurred to me that I have no idea how to cut it cleanly

Fastest material removal was with some mild nitric acid solution,
but that's a bad idea if you don't have a fume hood, because there
are some brown gasses involved.

Nitric acid will not dissolve 300 series stainless.

I was applying electricity; the passivating layer on the stainless was
pretty easily breached, and then the nitric DOES attack the metal.
I tried salt, too (not as effective as HNO3). There must be a good
standard etchant, I've got a business card that's marvelously
detailed, etched in stainless, from Acu-Line (phone 206-634-1618
in Seattle, WA, USA).

I would be all gungho to do those with a CO2 laser.

Then I want a laser CNC machine anyway. "Yes, dear I did need to spend five
grand on EBAY fir a laser for my little CNC machine. I needed to engrave
some stainless steel business cards." LOL.