DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   304 stainless etching (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/321234-304-stainless-etching.html)

shmoeusn April 3rd 11 07:52 AM

304 stainless etching

I am trying find the proper method to obtain photo quality acid etchings
on
stainless steel. I've included an example of what I would like to achieve.

This was acid etched on 304 stainless

http://www.tetongrillgear.com/media/...f78eab33525d08
d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/h/whitetail-hood-scene_1_1.jpg

thanks,

Joe

shmoeusn April 3rd 11 10:34 PM

304 stainless etching

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...ng-498310-.htm
shmoeusn wrote:
is it possible to achieve the various shades of black and gray to etch a
photograph with this method?

Joseph Gwinn April 3rd 11 11:26 PM

304 stainless etching

shmoeusn wrote:
is it possible to achieve the various shades of black and gray to etch a
photograph with this method?

You probably need to screen it, like a halftone photo in a magazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone

Joe Gwinn

[email protected] April 4th 11 01:49 AM

304 stainless etching

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:19:39 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, April 2, 2011 11:52:47 PM UTC-7, shmoeusn wrote:
I am trying find the proper method to obtain photo quality acid etchings
on
stainless steel.

It's possible to etch 304 with ferric chloride, masking with KPR
(Kodak photoresist) just about like with copper printed circuit
photofabrication. I vaguely recollect the photoresist had to
be baked after application (it didn't adhere well otherwise).

I have never managed a decent etch with Ferric Chloride on stainless.
It works on mild steel but slowly and the etch is shallow compared
with copper and brass.

Electro-etching is a possibility in but given the nature of the image
the details of the process will be critical. I have never done
half-tones that way.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Martin Eastburn April 4th 11 02:35 AM

304 stainless etching

I'd say ill advised. Can you tell me you have a coating of Fe ?
I hope not. It would rust.

Is the layer all Ni ? - likely not enough and magnetic.

Is the layer all Chrome ? more likely with pitting of localized Fe -
needing to be neutralized with Citrus or Nitric.

Stainless is a complex steel. I'd etch with grit and resist.

Martin