Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Speed Cameras

"Gunner Asch" wrote

several weeks ago, I got on a Ninja and was clocked at 264 mph, on a
paved public road.

Now to be fair..it was a paved road out in the desert. And the scooter
did belong to a CHP buddy of mine. And his partner was running the
speed gun....shrug

But reckless? Hardly.

Gunner

There was a fella who got a ticket on a motorcycle, somewhere in New
England, IIRC, that was at some high speed. Anyone recall it?

Just Googled, and it seemes a Porsche went 242 in a 75 in Texas, and a
motorcycle went 205.11 in Minnesota. How did they get the .11?

I once went 120 on a Honda 750 in around 1969 when they were one of the
fastest things around. That was a rush.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:44:47 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

several weeks ago, I got on a Ninja and was clocked at 264 mph, on a
paved public road.

Now to be fair..it was a paved road out in the desert. And the scooter
did belong to a CHP buddy of mine. And his partner was running the
speed gun....shrug

But reckless? Hardly.

Gunner

There was a fella who got a ticket on a motorcycle, somewhere in New
England, IIRC, that was at some high speed. Anyone recall it?

Just Googled, and it seemes a Porsche went 242 in a 75 in Texas, and a
motorcycle went 205.11 in Minnesota. How did they get the .11?

I once went 120 on a Honda 750 in around 1969 when they were one of the
fastest things around. That was a rush.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

When I hit 150..my ass sucked so hard to the seat that I couldnt have
fallen off if Id hit a brick wall. When I hit 250...my leathers were
getting short as they were being sucked up into my ass. But it was
indeed a once in a lifetime ride Id not have missed for the world. The
CHP officer who owns the scooter has family who races bikes around the
US and he is somewhat..."involved" in building engines and flat track
bikes. G

Ive been in cars that went faster than that..but tucked in on a
scooter...it was like nothing else Id ever done before.

I have NO desire to do it again however. Shrug....my scooter
days..while not over..the fast parts are long behind me. Im happy as a
clam on my old BMW at 70mph thank you very much.

But..it was ..interesting

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

several weeks ago, I got on a Ninja and was clocked at 264 mph, on a
paved public road.

Now to be fair..it was a paved road out in the desert. And the scooter
did belong to a CHP buddy of mine. And his partner was running the
speed gun....shrug

But reckless? Hardly.

Gunner

There was a fella who got a ticket on a motorcycle, somewhere in New
England, IIRC, that was at some high speed. Anyone recall it?

Nope.

Just Googled, and it seemes a Porsche went 242 in a 75 in Texas, and a
motorcycle went 205.11 in Minnesota. How did they get the .11?

It's probably a function of the radar gun or unit. The law says 75
miles per hour is legal. If the radar says 75.01, he can be ticketed.
It's all about money when it comes to gov't systems.

I once went 120 on a Honda 750 in around 1969 when they were one of the
fastest things around. That was a rush.

I've done 125 (limited by traffic) in a Porsche 928 (the only one I
recognize. Not one of those oversexed VWs) and as a passenger 150 in a
'63 Corvette and 140+ in a '67 GTO. I think 90 is the fastest I've
been on a bike, and yes, that's damned fast feeling. I prefer the
safety and comfort of a speeding car.

The brother of a friend in Vista, CA in the early '70s was cautioned
when he bought his new Kawasaki Mach III (big for then) 500cc that he
should never go WFO into fifth gear. He did and it when the bike
flipped getting onto the freeway, it ground off the top half of his
head before he stopped. At least he didn't suffer.

--
The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a
small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2011 7:44 AM, Steve B wrote:

I once went 120 on a Honda 750 in around 1969 when they were one of the
fastest things around. That was a rush.

Quite a few years ago, a friend let me ride his GPZ1100. Up to this
point, the biggest street bike I'd ridden was a 450 Ducati.
I puttered around a bit, mindful that it wasn't my bike. But heading
back, at the last stop light, I decided to nail it just once. Not
wanting to chance looping it, I chose to forgo a full on drag strip
launch, waiting until I was well into the intersection to really nail it
hard. There was a gentle right hand turn about 1/4+ mile ahead. By the
time I got there, I was something over 100mph and had a -bad- case of
tunnel vision. Was more concerned about someone pulling out of a parking
lot than getting an accurate speedo reading.
Right then and there, I resolved to stay on smaller bikes, else I'd lose
my license eventually.

Had I known then I was half a block from the Grass Valley CHP office, I
would have toned it down considerably... G

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That 140+ I did in a GTO was against a CHP Interceptor. When Phil
dumped it into 2nd as the Chippy was coming up next to us I just about
****. He took off, too, but we lost him about 120. About a minute
later, I was still white when Phil told me it was his buddy he was
racing, not some CHP officer with a radio, calling ahead to nab us.
I pinched buttonholes in my skivvies that day.

There are some interesting Hayabusa vids on YouTube. Helmet cams show
the cops trying to catch him over a 30 mile route at mostly 240+kph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1yrN6SbGQ Hairraising.

Ooh, check out this little toy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRXOG...1&feature=fvwp

Ive been in cars that went faster than that..but tucked in on a
scooter...it was like nothing else Id ever done before.

I have NO desire to do it again however. Shrug....my scooter
days..while not over..the fast parts are long behind me. Im happy as a
clam on my old BMW at 70mph thank you very much.

But..it was ..interesting

I fondly remember dozens of things I'm glad to have done but wouldn't
even consider doing again.

--
The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a
small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat.
-- John Ruskin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:33:32 -0700
wrote:

[...]

Friend's story was of coming on the Interstate late one night, on
a Beemer (if I recall correctly), and there was a Porsche already on
the road. So, they cranked the speed up, just a bit. And another
bit. Then some more ... eventually the car gave up and slowed down.
Joe said he looked down - he wasn't yet at "wide open", but he was
over double the speed limit. At those speeds, you don't "chop the
power" nor do you touch the brakes. You think "slow". Apparently, it
is almost as tricky slowing from 120 on the interstate as it is
getting there.

"Ah, the innocence of youth."

tschus
pyotr

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nah! C'mon, Pete. The wind does most of the work, even on the
sleekest of vehicles. Just taking your foot off the gas slows you
down at a minimum of 20mph per second, 50 at higher speeds. This is on
straightaways and mild curves, not Mulholland Drive or the road to Big
Sur. On curves, total withdrawal of your lead foot from the GIDDYUP
pedal will get you in big, spinning trouble.

"Ah, the innocence of youth."

If it were legal and I had a vehicle which could do it, I'd drive
every bit (that I could) of the freeway at 300mph. I leave at 4am for
most vacations so traffic isn't usually a problem.

Some little boys never grow up. wink

--
The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a
small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

All I can say is thank Crom that we have some really long and very
straight "flat top" roads out here in the desert.

In my yout.....I drove some very fast scooters. I used to flat track as
a kid..hence my love for Triump Bonnies. Now that Im an old man
....G..that was the fastest Im ever going to go on a roadway on a
scooter and it will support me when Im stuck in a wheel chair bragging
to the great grandkids about how big my nads were when I was a kid.

Shrug I dont have a Bonnie anymore..and have absolutely no desire to own
one. I think I went through 3-4 of them in 3 yrs, along with a Commando
(not a good flat track bike...really) and a Harley ..cant remember what
version...it was a dog.

Ill be dragging out my Royal Enfield this spring and getting it road
worthy..a town bike at best. Rat Bike...too much money to restore it to
its early "glory" but it will be fun to putter around on it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnera...nRoyalEnfield#

And the BMW is about ready to fire up and ride. Im still cutting down
all the 4' tall weeds that have taken over my back yard..cringe.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/BMW#

I wish some of you guys would come by and haul off some of the crap Ive
been collecting. ...err..Stuff....

I picked up another OmniTurn cnc lathe this week. Its down at my buddies
shop in Anaheim getting a wash job and cleaning before I start working
on it.

Now Ive got 2 of them...

http://www.omniturn.com/bin/Attachments.htm

and one of these...
http://www.omniturn.com/bin/GT-75.htm

and one of these....
https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnera...42637092566082

All need repair. The two attachments came out of a shop that machined
pressed powdered metal parts..and they didnt take good care of them
(sigh)

The Gt-75 only needs a lttle bit of collet closer repair..but its tired.
Wouldnt be bad for someone who needed only .001 -/+ as is.

Shrug....maybe if the economy ever returns to "ok", Ill get em fixed up
and saleable, or sell em cheap as-is and let the new owners spend the
$1-2k each, its going to take to get em back to Excellent condition.

Btw...if anyone has a decent actual "motorcycle" headlight assembly that
they want to swap Stuff for..Id like to get rid of the tractor light on
the front of the Enfield....preferably British and 6 volt....

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This btw..does NOT need repair. Works like a champ. But I have
absolutely no need for it. Nor do I have need for the narrow bed
British Hardinge TFB thats out back under a tarp either. Runs good,
needs paint.

Anyone interested?

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Wed, 30 Mar 2011
14:34:47 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

This was I-10 near Tucson, so ... I have to take George at his
word. It was his story, and I wasn't going to spoil it with facts.

"Ah, the innocence of youth."

If it were legal and I had a vehicle which could do it, I'd drive
every bit (that I could) of the freeway at 300mph. I leave at 4am for
most vacations so traffic isn't usually a problem.

Some little boys never grow up. wink

It is just that the size and prices of our toys ... get bigger.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bull****.

When I hit 150..my ass sucked so hard to the seat that I couldnt have
fallen off if Id hit a brick wall. When I hit 250

Bull****.

Ive been in cars that went faster than that

Bull****.

Fastest Formula 1 laps: 229mph on track; 257mph for straight line run
at Bonneville
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formul...car#Top_speeds

Fastest Indy laps: 242mph on a track
http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/st...eds-more-speed

gummer has never driven or ridden in a car at anything close to those
speeds, just as he has never ridden a motorcycle at anything close to
his bull**** claimed speed.

This is just more of gummer's extravagant "u cant top this" lying -
always having to build himself up from the grimy dweeb he is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Bbbbbbuuuuut he says it was confirmed by a cop friend using radar!
The same "proof" he offered for his sailboat speed claim. I doubt he's
ever been over100 on a bike. I also doubt he's ridden much at all. He
collects old crap and wouldn't have the energy to fix up it up much
less the knowledge. He prefers to ride his chair, where he can have
fantastic adventures at will.