Old March 28th 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding round objects in vise

Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

Old March 28th 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 28, 5:07*pm, Ignoramus7104
wrote:
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

The most useful fixture I have is one of these:
http://www.collectibles-articles.com...0540431856.jpg

jsw
Old March 28th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus7104" wrote in message
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

Vee blocks will easily crush tubing etc. if used in a vise.

For low /medium production work usually I use aluminum soft jaws in the vise
and after placing a spacer between them I will bore at two places a few thou
oversize so as to accept 2 workpieces per station

--If I do this with 3 double lock vises on the table this nets me 12 parts
per cycle.

Old March 29th 11, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:07:12 -0500, Ignoramus7104
wrote:

Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things,

One possible solution flat round is what is called a finger
plate or finger vise. Nowadays these are generally shop
made.
http://www.lautard.com/books.htm
for picture see
http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/FingerPlate.html
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalo...Plate_Kit.html
http://www.swarfmaker.com/benchblock_mclean.jpg

or, conversely, tall things.

If for end working, your best solution may not be a vise [in
the usual sense] at all, but rather a substantial slotted
right angle iron, with "pinch" clamps or cotters you can
make yourself. Drawback is that you will need a different
clamp or cotter for each diameter, but you can accommodate
tapered or threaded stock and machine the pinch clamp* to a
larger size to reuse. It is also easy to set up accurate and
repeatable angles. Magnetic sine bars are best [most
accurate and easiest to use] , but a good protractor is
generally adequate for home shop projects.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...tterclosed.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...cotteropen.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...teroutside.jpg
* avoid the temptation to use a set screw. These will
generally mar the work and don't hold as well as a good
close fitting pinch clamp or cotter.

Most of the mail order mill supplies should have angle irons
in stock. Get one that is about max for your machine. For
some examples see
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Old March 29th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

I have mounted a 4" 3-jaw chuck on a plate which clamps to my mill
table.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Old March 29th 11, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7104 wrote:

Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

I'm not a machinist, but the first obvious answer is the v-blocks;
but if you're holding something delicate, you could conceivably
make a pair of jaw inserts with semicylindrical notches that match
the OD of the part.

Good Luck!
Rich

Old March 29th 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-29, Pete Snell wrote:
On 3/28/2011 5:07 PM, Ignoramus7104 wrote:
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

Iggy, do you mean a bench vise, or a milling machine vise? If it's a
bench vise, these things are pretty handy.

http://www.travers.com/prodlist.asp?RequestData=CA_Search&q=61-204-147&search_method=catpage&tag=STP

I mean a milling vise, sorry.

Old March 29th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus7104" wrote in message
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

I have a bunch of Beech blocks bored with different size holes that
are a hair undersized then band sawed in half. They've lasted for
decades and were free.

Old March 29th 11, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:38:25 -0400, "Tom Gardner" [email protected] wrote:

m...

Why not get a vise with built-in vees? http://goo.gl/wXyQh

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.
Old March 29th 11, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:38:25 -0400, "Tom Gardner" [email protected] wrote:

"Ignoramus7104" wrote in message
om...
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

I have a bunch of Beech blocks bored with different size holes that
are a hair undersized then band sawed in half. They've lasted for
decades and were free.

Why not get a vise with built-in vees? http://goo.gl/wXyQh

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the
left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.
-- Jimmy
Wales

That's a nice vise! I just might bid on it, thanks. The hardwood
blocks won't mar a part and have a lot more gripping area. You should
see my pliers made from 4' long two-by-fours!

turning objects godwin Woodturning 6 September 1st 08 12:53 AM
Falling objects Robert Allison Home Repair 11 June 3rd 07 09:29 PM
Holding threaded rod in a vise Matty F UK diy 49 October 16th 06 10:30 AM
Musing about wood going round and round. Where it stops nobodyknows! Arch Woodturning 3 April 4th 06 06:50 PM
Odd objects to spread glue with David Woodworking 8 March 30th 06 09:57 AM