DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Part cleaning ?? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/320219-part-cleaning.html)

KG March 14th 11 12:07 PM

Part cleaning ??

I have been advised that a good solution for parts cleaning is 1/2 mineral spirits and 1/2 water at
used at room temp. Would a 5 gallon container be sufficient?? All comments welcome
Thank you
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
--Mahatma Gandhi

[email protected] March 14th 11 03:18 PM

Part cleaning ??

On Mar 14, 6:07*am, KG wrote:
I have been advised that a good solution for parts cleaning is 1/2 mineral spirits and 1/2 water at
used at room temp. *Would a 5 gallon container be sufficient?? *All comments welcome
Thank you
*****************
Thank You

The water isn't going to do you much good, mineral spirits will float
on it. Either use a solution of something like Simple Green or purple
stuff in water, or the mineral spirits by itself. Just depends on
what kind of crud you're trying to cut. The water-based solvents are
good for animal fats but not so great for bearing grease. They'll cut
it, eventually, but it takes longer than a petroleum-based solvent
would. And purple stuff will eat aluminum if left too long, has
caustic in it.

Stan

Tom Gardner[_6_] March 14th 11 04:50 PM

Part cleaning ??

"KG" wrote in message
I have been advised that a good solution for parts cleaning is 1/2 mineral spirits
and 1/2 water at
used at room temp. Would a 5 gallon container be sufficient?? All comments welcome
Thank you
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
--Mahatma Gandhi

I use automatic dishwasher detergent powder in hot water.

Rich Grise[_3_] March 15th 11 11:20 PM

Part cleaning ??

KG wrote:

I have been advised that a good solution for parts cleaning is 1/2 mineral
spirits and 1/2 water at
used at room temp.

Do water and mineral spirits even mix? I'd look at what needs to be cleaned,
and what needs to be cleaned off it. I once read about some guy who washed
his lawnmower (with all that grass clipping crud) in Tide, and all the
paint fell off.

Would a 5 gallon container be sufficient??

I think that would depend on the size of your part.

Cheers!
Rich