Old February 14th 11, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire Bead Goop

Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Thanks

Chuck P.

Old February 14th 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Pilgrim" wrote in message
news
Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Thanks

Chuck P.

You can buy it from a distributor that sells tools and supplies to tire
shops. It's like a thick soap, I think the answer is both, although it
certainly does not stop all leaks.

Old February 14th 11, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pilgrim wrote:
Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Thanks

Chuck P.

Which goop?
There are a couple.
One is strictly a lube, it's basically water with some surfactant and
water soluble oil.
Then you have actual tire bead sealant. It is basically a thin rubber
cement with carbon black as a thickening agent.

The first is used to slip the tire over the rim easier and reduce the
possibility of bead damage.
The second is used on pitted aluminum or steel rims to seal the pits and
retain air.

If you only have a small tire then you could simply use a small amount
of rubber cement around the bead. It will do the same thing as the tire
sealant.

Advance, Parts Plus, NAPA all carry it.

--
Steve W.
Old February 14th 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to all who replied.

Chuck P.
Old February 14th 11, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:59:18 -0800, Pilgrim
wrote:

Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Generally, it's just a soapy water mix for lubing the tire onto the
rim. Once it evaporates, it's gone. There is no extra sealing
capability.

To seal from the inside, install some of the green slime.
http://tinyurl.com/4nz5zz2

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Old February 15th 11, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Generally, it's just a soapy water mix for lubing the tire onto the
rim. Once it evaporates, it's gone. There is no extra sealing
capability.

To seal from the inside, install some of the green slime.http://tinyurl.com/4nz5zz2

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Second on the Slime. I've got a tubeless tire on one dolly that does
exactly that, a short shot of the slime fixed it up.

I've only ever seen them use a swab with some tire soap on it when
mounting my tires, comes in a bucket. Only for seating beads and
keeping the rubber from tearing when stretching it over the rims.
Lubricant only, no sealing properties.

Now if you've got a tube in your tire, the slime may just make a mess,
you'd have to patch the tube.

Stan
Old February 16th 11, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Thanks

Chuck P.

Murphy's soap. Lubricant only; no sealing properties.

For a one time deal, mix some stout dish washing soap solution.

DO NOT use diesel or any petroleum product.
Old February 16th 11, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:55:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The thing I can't understand, is why manufacturers insist on mounting
tubeless tires on everything such as wheelbarrows, snowblowers and
other low speed equipment. I can understand that tubless tires run
cooler at high speed but on a wheelbarrow? snowblower? After ten
years, the tires are checked and the rims are rusted, so the owner
gets to install the tube that should have been there in the first
place. The lawn tractor with low pressure tires does a sharp turn and
catches some grass stems or twigs in the bead and developes a slow
leak (I, personaly, traced this down and fixed it - the lady was using
a bicycle pump every time she went to cut the grass).
What is there for not installing tube type tires on low speed
equipment?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old February 16th 11, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A wheelbarrow tire is one of the hardest tires to seal the bead on after
it has been broken. Filling the tire with foam is one solution.

John
Old February 16th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:
What is there for not installing tube type tires on low speed
equipment?

Cost. Of the tube itself & installing it. Bob

Ferrite Bead Al Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 09 02:10 AM
not quite OT, and almost metal related - best goop to remove carbon deposits Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 23 September 18th 09 06:44 PM
Old Goop on Drain Pipes - What is it? Red Green Home Repair 3 July 12th 09 10:24 PM
Yellow Gunk - Is It a Leaking Capacitor or Strain Relief Goop? Joe Electronics Repair 2 November 5th 07 09:24 AM
Need goop to coat antenna connector Harvey Electronics Repair 15 February 17th 05 02:32 PM