Old January 27th 19, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire Bead Goop

On Sunday, 13 February 2011 22:27:25 UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:
Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Thanks

Chuck P.

Which goop?
There are a couple.
One is strictly a lube, it's basically water with some surfactant and
water soluble oil.
Then you have actual tire bead sealant. It is basically a thin rubber
cement with carbon black as a thickening agent.

The first is used to slip the tire over the rim easier and reduce the
possibility of bead damage.
The second is used on pitted aluminum or steel rims to seal the pits and
retain air.

If you only have a small tire then you could simply use a small amount
of rubber cement around the bead. It will do the same thing as the tire
sealant.

Advance, Parts Plus, NAPA all carry it.

--
Steve W.

STEVE - This was very helpful for me, here in Canada Jan 2019.

Old January 28th 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pilgrim wrote:
[...]

The tire shop used that thickened goop on the pitted aluminum wheels on my 2004 Sonata, six months ago. No leaks.

--
Ed Huntress

Ferrite Bead Al Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 09 02:10 AM
not quite OT, and almost metal related - best goop to remove carbon deposits Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 23 September 18th 09 06:44 PM
Old Goop on Drain Pipes - What is it? Red Green Home Repair 3 July 12th 09 10:24 PM
Yellow Gunk - Is It a Leaking Capacitor or Strain Relief Goop? Joe Electronics Repair 2 November 5th 07 09:24 AM
Need goop to coat antenna connector Harvey Electronics Repair 15 February 17th 05 02:32 PM