Old February 18th 11, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire Bead Goop

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:35:23 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

A wheelbarrow tire is one of the hardest tires to seal the bead on after
it has been broken. Filling the tire with foam is one solution.

John

Just put a tube in and be done with it until the tire rots off in
another 20 years.

Not around here. Cactus needles love to puncture any type of
inflatable tire.

To my way of thinking, what passes for grass in your neck of the
woods, is, in reality, a low growing mix of palm fronds and cacti.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Old February 18th 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Not around here. Cactus needles love to puncture any type of
inflatable tire.

There are two completely different kinds of "tire bead goop". One is
the soap or glycerine lube (RuGlyde), which has minimal sealing
qualities - the other is the black latex "bead sealer" that does a
reasonable job of sealing a bead if it is clean and not too badly
corroded.

As for tubeless low speed tires, it all comes down to PRICE.
The majority of us North Americans are notoriously CHEEP critters, and
the manufacturers won;t spend a penny more than necessary to get their
product out the door, and, hopefully, through warranty.

Re-seating a wheelbarrow tire is simple. Spray some butane into the
tire and throw a match at it. It'll pop right on, 9.9 times out of 10.

But putting in a tube is a much better solution. A "slimed" or self
sealing tube is almost a requirement in misquite or cactus country,
and a kevlar liner works wonders too. Wreaks havoc with balance, so
not so good on high speed tires.

Those needles would puncture large truck tires as well. Some were
just shy of 2" long, and they could go through the tread or the
sidewalls.

The last flat I had on a wheelbarrow had already had a tube
installed, but the old tire was so dried out that I couldn't get the bad
tube out. I had two bad tires on a garden cart with 3/4" hubs. I made a
new 5/8" axle and slipped it into a piece of thin walled pipe to make it
fit the old mounts. They wanted more for a pair of new tires than a new
cart cost.

Teflon coated.
Old February 18th 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Just put a tube in and be done with it until the tire rots off in
another 20 years.

Not around here. Cactus needles love to puncture any type of
inflatable tire.

To my way of thinking, what passes for grass in your neck of the
woods, is, in reality, a low growing mix of palm fronds and cacti.
Gerry :-)}

A half hour south of here it's short grass and cacti. The only palm
fronds are from trees that were planted. I lived in lake county for
about 10 years, and had the fun of keeping them from growing im my
driveway.

Palm trees aren't native to this part of the state. Oaks and pine
trees along with real dirt and grass are common, though. Ask Karl. He
stopped by for a short visit on his way south of here.

Teflon coated.
Old February 19th 11, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-18, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

Those needles would puncture large truck tires as well. Some were
just shy of 2" long, and they could go through the tread or the
sidewalls.

And one style of cactus which was around where I grew up I
called "watch-out cactus" because the needles had a dry husk on them,
and when you pulled a needle out of self, the husk stayed around nearly
forever in your skin. The husk could provide a continuing path of air
through the walls of the tire and tube.

If anyone really knows the name of that cactus (insanely
branching and re-branching bits about the diameter of a pencil or a bit
fatter), I would love to have identification. This was in South Texas,
sort of between San Antonio and Laredo, FWIW.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old February 19th 11, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Feb 2011 01:49:54 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-02-18, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

Those needles would puncture large truck tires as well. Some were
just shy of 2" long, and they could go through the tread or the
sidewalls.

And one style of cactus which was around where I grew up I
called "watch-out cactus" because the needles had a dry husk on them,
and when you pulled a needle out of self, the husk stayed around nearly
forever in your skin. The husk could provide a continuing path of air
through the walls of the tire and tube.

If anyone really knows the name of that cactus (insanely
branching and re-branching bits about the diameter of a pencil or a bit
fatter), I would love to have identification. This was in South Texas,
sort of between San Antonio and Laredo, FWIW.

Enjoy,
DoN.

See if you recognize it here.

http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCact...Accounts4.html

Old February 19th 11, 07:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire Bead Goop / cactus

On 2011-02-18, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Those needles would puncture large truck tires as well. Some were
just shy of 2" long, and they could go through the tread or the
sidewalls.

And one style of cactus which was around where I grew up I
called "watch-out cactus" because the needles had a dry husk on them,
and when you pulled a needle out of self, the husk stayed around nearly
forever in your skin. The husk could provide a continuing path of air
through the walls of the tire and tube.

If anyone really knows the name of that cactus (insanely
branching and re-branching bits about the diameter of a pencil or a bit
fatter), I would love to have identification. This was in South Texas,
sort of between San Antonio and Laredo, FWIW.

See if you recognize it here.

http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCact...Accounts4.html

DoN, among those links that I looked at, the bottom 2 pictures
on http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCactus/C.hesteri.html
appear to have lots of thin branching parts. However, the range
map seems to show only a small patch near Sanderson or Marathon
(north of Big Bend) so there may be better matches for what you
remember. Eg, range of Pencil Cactus seems to include Laredo:
http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCactus/E.poselgeri.html (but
it doesn't seem to do much branching).

--
jiw
Old February 19th 11, 08:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-19, wrote:
On 19 Feb 2011 01:49:54 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

And one style of cactus which was around where I grew up I
called "watch-out cactus" because the needles had a dry husk on them,
and when you pulled a needle out of self, the husk stayed around nearly
forever in your skin. The husk could provide a continuing path of air
through the walls of the tire and tube.

If anyone really knows the name of that cactus (insanely
branching and re-branching bits about the diameter of a pencil or a bit
fatter), I would love to have identification. This was in South Texas,
sort of between San Antonio and Laredo, FWIW.

[ ... ]

See if you recognize it here.

http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCact...Accounts4.html

Hmm -- a wonderful resource, but I've checked most of them now
with little luck. The closest is:

Opuntia (Cylindropuntia) imbricata (Tree Cholla)

but the stems are too fat, and it is shown only well North of where I
saw these.

Most of the cacti on the left-hand side of the page were low
balls and pincushions. This grew at least five feet high. Most of what
gets near that high is the Prickley pear varieties.

The interesting thing is that none of the photos which I noticed
were taken in LaSalle County, which is where these were. An
un-documented species, perhaps? (Maybe he has just not visited LaSalle
County yet. :-)

Thanks much,
DoN.

Old February 19th 11, 10:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-18, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[ ... ]
Those needles would puncture large truck tires as well. Some were
just shy of 2" long, and they could go through the tread or the
sidewalls.

And one style of cactus which was around where I grew up I
called "watch-out cactus" because the needles had a dry husk on them,
and when you pulled a needle out of self, the husk stayed around nearly
forever in your skin. The husk could provide a continuing path of air
through the walls of the tire and tube.

If anyone really knows the name of that cactus (insanely
branching and re-branching bits about the diameter of a pencil or a bit
fatter), I would love to have identification. This was in South Texas,
sort of between San Antonio and Laredo, FWIW.

Caltrop cactus? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Old February 19th 11, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 01:02:35 -0800, Rich Grise

On 2011-02-18, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[ ... ]
Those needles would puncture large truck tires as well. Some were
just shy of 2" long, and they could go through the tread or the
sidewalls.

And one style of cactus which was around where I grew up I
called "watch-out cactus" because the needles had a dry husk on them,
and when you pulled a needle out of self, the husk stayed around nearly
forever in your skin. The husk could provide a continuing path of air
through the walls of the tire and tube.

If anyone really knows the name of that cactus (insanely
branching and re-branching bits about the diameter of a pencil or a bit
fatter), I would love to have identification. This was in South Texas,
sort of between San Antonio and Laredo, FWIW.

Caltrop cactus? ;-)

I believe those are only found in LEO county, California.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Old February 19th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-19, James Waldby wrote:
[...]

Way too low. Think at least shoulder height, where you could
accidentally brush against it if you were not observant. :-) It would go
about four or five inches, then branch -- repeatedly. I don't remember
the parts near the ground being fatter -- but they really must have been
to support the load of all the branches.

However, the range
map seems to show only a small patch near Sanderson or Marathon
(north of Big Bend) so there may be better matches for what you
remember. Eg, range of Pencil Cactus seems to include Laredo:
http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCactus/E.poselgeri.html (but
it doesn't seem to do much branching).

Nope! Not at all. and the thorns should have a length about
three to four times the diameter of the stem.

I think that I'll try to contact him, and suggest that he visit
LaSalle county. It *may* be that this never develops photogenic
blossoms, which seems to be the primary focus of the web site. :-) I
know that *I* never saw the blossoms -- but there were times of the year
when I was less likely to go into the place where I knew some were.

O.K. I just sent him an e-mail. We'll see what comes of it.

Thanks much,
DoN.

Ferrite Bead Al Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 09 03:10 AM
not quite OT, and almost metal related - best goop to remove carbon deposits Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 23 September 18th 09 07:44 PM
Old Goop on Drain Pipes - What is it? Red Green Home Repair 3 July 12th 09 11:24 PM
Yellow Gunk - Is It a Leaking Capacitor or Strain Relief Goop? Joe Electronics Repair 2 November 5th 07 10:24 AM
Need goop to coat antenna connector Harvey Electronics Repair 15 February 17th 05 03:32 PM