Old February 16th 11, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire Bead Goop

Gerald Miller wrote:

What is there for not installing tube type tires on low speed
equipment?

A tube costs $2.00.

Cheers!
Rich

Old February 16th 11, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:39:19 -0500, John
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:55:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 14, 9:30 am, Larry
wrote:
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:59:18 -0800,
wrote:

Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Generally, it's just a soapy water mix for lubing the tire onto the
rim. Once it evaporates, it's gone. There is no extra sealing
capability.

To seal from the inside, install some of the green slime.
http://tinyurl.com/4nz5zz2

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Second on the Slime. I've got a tubeless tire on one dolly that does
exactly that, a short shot of the slime fixed it up.

I've only ever seen them use a swab with some tire soap on it when
mounting my tires, comes in a bucket. Only for seating beads and
keeping the rubber from tearing when stretching it over the rims.
Lubricant only, no sealing properties.

Now if you've got a tube in your tire, the slime may just make a mess,
you'd have to patch the tube.

Stan

The thing I can't understand, is why manufacturers insist on mounting
tubeless tires on everything such as wheelbarrows, snowblowers and
other low speed equipment. I can understand that tubless tires run
cooler at high speed but on a wheelbarrow? snowblower? After ten
years, the tires are checked and the rims are rusted, so the owner
gets to install the tube that should have been there in the first
place. The lawn tractor with low pressure tires does a sharp turn and
catches some grass stems or twigs in the bead and developes a slow
leak (I, personaly, traced this down and fixed it - the lady was using
a bicycle pump every time she went to cut the grass).
What is there for not installing tube type tires on low speed
equipment?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

A wheelbarrow tire is one of the hardest tires to seal the bead on after
it has been broken. Filling the tire with foam is one solution.

John

Just put a tube in and be done with it until the tire rots off in
another 20 years.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old February 16th 11, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:47:50 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:
What is there for not installing tube type tires on low speed
equipment?

Cost. Of the tube itself & installing it. Bob

About what I figured.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old February 16th 11, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 13, 9:59*pm, Pilgrim wrote:
Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Thanks

Chuck P.

My understanding is the goop is vegetable oil. It acts as a lubricant
which helps to get the bead seated on the rim.

Recently I came back to my truck and found it blocked in by a tire
service truck. He was trying to get a truck tire seated on the rim.
He had a little air tank with a one inch ball valve going to a bit of
one inch pipe. The free end of the pipe was somewhat flattened. He
would lubricate the bead and then slip the pipe between the bead and
the rim. Hit the ball valve and the tire would almost seat. The pipe
got pushed out of the way as the tire started to seat. The rim had a
few rough spots and would not get a good seal.

After a few attempts that failed, he got a can of starter fluid and
sprayed some inside the tire. Then tossed a match. There was a poof
and the bead was seated.

Dan
Old February 17th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:19:57 -0500, Gerald Miller
wrote:

The thing I can't understand, is why manufacturers insist on mounting
tubeless tires on everything such as wheelbarrows, snowblowers and
other low speed equipment. I can understand that tubless tires run
cooler at high speed but on a wheelbarrow? snowblower? After ten
years, the tires are checked and the rims are rusted, so the owner
gets to install the tube that should have been there in the first
place. The lawn tractor with low pressure tires does a sharp turn and
catches some grass stems or twigs in the bead and developes a slow
leak (I, personaly, traced this down and fixed it - the lady was using
a bicycle pump every time she went to cut the grass).
What is there for not installing tube type tires on low speed
equipment?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

A tubeless tire can be mounted and inflated by a robot. Not so for
stuffing a tube, pulling the valve stem and inflating.

Old February 17th 11, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:56:02 -0800, Rich Grise

[...]

Speaking of stuffing a tube, where do you get unscented talcum powder?

Thanks,
Rich

Many of the medicated powders are unscented; maybe with a little boric
acid and zinc oxide.
Old February 17th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I'd like to find some, too. I'd been using baby-smelling stuff for
dusting my face prior to electric shaving, but have tried plain
cornstarch lately.

Hmm, one recipe is 1 cup rice flour + 1/2 cup cornstarch + essential
oils. Leave out the oils and you have your unscented. Find the rest
in the bulk food section of major markets.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Old February 17th 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not around here. Cactus needles love to puncture any type of
inflatable tire.

Teflon coated.
Old February 17th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There are two completely different kinds of "tire bead goop". One is
the soap or glycerine lube (RuGlyde), which has minimal sealing
qualities - the other is the black latex "bead sealer" that does a
reasonable job of sealing a bead if it is clean and not too badly
corroded.

As for tubeless low speed tires, it all comes down to PRICE.
The majority of us North Americans are notoriously CHEEP critters, and
the manufacturers won;t spend a penny more than necessary to get their
product out the door, and, hopefully, through warranty.

Re-seating a wheelbarrow tire is simple. Spray some butane into the
tire and throw a match at it. It'll pop right on, 9.9 times out of 10.

But putting in a tube is a much better solution. A "slimed" or self
sealing tube is almost a requirement in misquite or cactus country,
and a kevlar liner works wonders too. Wreaks havoc with balance, so
not so good on high speed tires.

Ferrite Bead Al Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 09 02:10 AM
not quite OT, and almost metal related - best goop to remove carbon deposits Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 23 September 18th 09 06:44 PM
Old Goop on Drain Pipes - What is it? Red Green Home Repair 3 July 12th 09 10:24 PM
Yellow Gunk - Is It a Leaking Capacitor or Strain Relief Goop? Joe Electronics Repair 2 November 5th 07 09:24 AM
Need goop to coat antenna connector Harvey Electronics Repair 15 February 17th 05 02:32 PM