Old January 20th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mosler safe combination

Won a Mosler combination safe on ebay and am wondering about
something: is it possible to change the combination on such a safe?
This is a safe that opens with a key AND combination dial.

Also, is it wise to take it to a locksmith while it is in my truck?
Just to have it checked etc?

Old January 20th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3982 wrote:

Won a Mosler combination safe on ebay and am wondering about
something: is it possible to change the combination on such a safe?
This is a safe that opens with a key AND combination dial.

Also, is it wise to take it to a locksmith while it is in my truck?
Just to have it checked etc?

Is it a "real" commercial safe, or a "toy" home safe? If the former, I'm
sure a locksmith could rework the combination for you, if the later,
they'll laugh at you for asking.
Old January 20th 11, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-20, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3982 wrote:

Won a Mosler combination safe on ebay and am wondering about
something: is it possible to change the combination on such a safe?
This is a safe that opens with a key AND combination dial.

Also, is it wise to take it to a locksmith while it is in my truck?
Just to have it checked etc?

Is it a "real" commercial safe, or a "toy" home safe? If the former, I'm
sure a locksmith could rework the combination for you, if the later,
they'll laugh at you for asking.

It is called a class C safe, reportedly weighs 400 lbs, 30x21x54"
tall.

I would think that it is somewhere in between.

Old January 20th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 20, 1:17*pm, Ignoramus3982
On 2011-01-20, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3982 wrote:

Won a Mosler combination safe on ebay and am wondering about
something: is it possible to change the combination on such a safe?
This is a safe that opens with a key AND combination dial.

Also, is it wise to take it to a locksmith while it is in my truck?
Just to have it checked etc?

Is it a "real" commercial safe, or a "toy" home safe? If the former, I'm
sure a locksmith could rework the combination for you, if the later,
they'll laugh at you for asking.

It is called a class C safe, reportedly weighs 400 lbs, 30x21x54"
tall.

I would think that it is somewhere in between.

Just be careful handling it, some of the fancier types have a plate of
glass as part of the locking mechanism, if it gets shocked and broken,
the locking bolts get driven outwards and you're cooked. Keeps the
hammer and chisel types at bay.

Stan
Old January 20th 11, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3982 wrote:
Won a Mosler combination safe on ebay and am wondering about
something: is it possible to change the combination on such a safe?
This is a safe that opens with a key AND combination dial.

Also, is it wise to take it to a locksmith while it is in my truck?
Just to have it checked etc?

I think Roger Shoaf is a locksmith. You might
try sending him an email.

Most locksmiths are highly protective of any
sort of information they have concerning opening
locks. They will generally treat you as a thief
unless they know you.

Old January 20th 11, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-20, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus3982 wrote:
Won a Mosler combination safe on ebay and am wondering about
something: is it possible to change the combination on such a safe?
This is a safe that opens with a key AND combination dial.

Also, is it wise to take it to a locksmith while it is in my truck?
Just to have it checked etc?

I think Roger Shoaf is a locksmith. You might
try sending him an email.

Most locksmiths are highly protective of any
sort of information they have concerning opening
locks. They will generally treat you as a thief
unless they know you.

Well, I have a receipt for the safe and it is open.

But good point.

Old January 20th 11, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3982 wrote:

Most locksmiths are highly protective of any
sort of information they have concerning opening
locks. They will generally treat you as a thief
unless they know you.

Well, I have a receipt for the safe and it is open.

But good point.

I would believe an open safe door is all the bonafides you will need.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Old January 20th 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-20, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus3982 wrote:

Most locksmiths are highly protective of any
sort of information they have concerning opening
locks. They will generally treat you as a thief
unless they know you.

Well, I have a receipt for the safe and it is open.

But good point.

I would believe an open safe door is all the bonafides you will need.

Wes

Thanks, that is not so bad...
Old January 20th 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3982 wrote in news:Qb-
:

Won a Mosler combination safe on ebay and am wondering about
something: is it possible to change the combination on such a safe?
This is a safe that opens with a key AND combination dial.

Also, is it wise to take it to a locksmith while it is in my truck?
Just to have it checked etc?

I used to get safe style combination locks at the Los Alamos surplus yard
when I was a kid. Some had been drilled when the combination was lost,
but some were entact. These were ~ 1950's vintage. You could take the
back cover off & figure out what the combination was. Most of them had a
hole in the back where you could insert a special key. This would allow
you to change the combination. I never had the magic key, or the time to
figure out how to make one, but I examined quite a few such locks, and
that was clearly the intent. I don't recall if any had a keylock in the
dial, but I suspect the combination part is largely the same.

I also know many safe combinations can be changed without heroics from my
long association with the MIT pistol range. They have a bunch of surplus
safes, and whenever there has been a major change of personnel in the
coach/range master position, the MIT locksmith came through & changed
most of the combinations. Some of the safes are really ancient, and
either are difficult to change, or require an oddball key/tool to do it,
so they have remained unchanged for decades. They are typically used for
ammo or airguns, with the better safes reserved for the firearms.

As long as it's in your truck, I would take it to a locksmith, because
they usually charge more for housecalls. It would be worth checking
around to find a really good one. There are a lot of folks claiming to
be locksmiths who can't do much more than install locksets & cut keys.

Doug White