DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Copper Tubing too big, how to size? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/317325-copper-tubing-too-big-how-size.html)

RogerN January 18th 11 12:43 AM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

Metalworking, resizing copper tubing-

Trying to install a valve on the copper tube going to the toilet tank. The
original line is 5/8 copper tube going straight to the toilet tank valve.

So I cut off the tubing and tried to install a valve. Turns out the 5/8"
tubing is a little larger than 5/8", the original tubing was too big for the
compression nut and ring.

I measured the tubing and reads around .655", about .030" too big. I was
able to taper the end of the copper and hammer the compression nut onto the
tubing, this "sized" the tubing enough to get the compression sleeve on and
I got the valve on the line, but I would like to fix it better later.

I could either shrink the tubing down to .625" or expand to solder a
correctly sized tubing inside the end of the old tubing.
Are there any sizing dies or collet compression tools to shrink the tubing
to size?
Any reasonably priced tubing expanding tools to expand the end of the
original tubing to accept a piece of 5/8" tubing to be soldered in?

Thanks!

RogerN

Ignoramus26212 January 18th 11 01:06 AM

On 2011-01-17, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Do you have a lathe steady rest with rollers?

Steve W.[_4_] January 18th 11 01:07 AM

RogerN wrote:
[...]

HF has a cheap swage tool. Think it was like 10 bucks.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Dennis January 18th 11 01:11 AM

"Steve W." wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
[...]

Perhaps replace with a flex line with prefitted ends. I did on myself (was
1/2" copper pipe), cost me $4 for the 18" flex line.

dan January 18th 11 01:34 AM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

RogerN wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:43:08 -0600:

Metalworking, resizing copper tubing-

I measured the tubing and reads around .655", about .030" too big. I was
able to taper the end of the copper and hammer the compression nut onto the
tubing, this "sized" the tubing enough to get the compression sleeve on and
I got the valve on the line, but I would like to fix it better later.

I could either shrink the tubing down to .625" or expand to solder a
correctly sized tubing inside the end of the old tubing.

Could you bore out one side of a coupling, and add a short length of
the proper sized tubing? Hmm, .030 is probably too much for a common
coupling to be bored out. Could you make a coupling(f/m adaptor?)
from a piece of brass?
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

[email protected][_2_] January 18th 11 02:24 AM

On Jan 17, 6:43*pm, "RogerN" wrote:

I measured the tubing and reads around .655", about .030" too big. *I was
able to taper the end of the copper and hammer the compression nut onto the
tubing, this "sized" the tubing enough to get the compression sleeve on and
I got the valve on the line, but I would like to fix it better later.

I'd be worried about anything that needs to hold water pressure. But
packed away in my instrument repair tools are a set of draw rings,
with polished, radiused edges that shrink annealed tubing (usually
brass, but copper should work) if you encourage it through with a
rubber mallet from the other end (usually you only anneal the part you
are going to shrink). The smallest one wasn't quite small enough for
my purposed so I made a "number 0" on the lathe. I kept a can of
crisco with them.

Often a tubing cutter will swage the edge near the cut somewhat.

For expanding, I had a segmented expander, but turning a taper on a
piece of junk steel and then filing three rounded flats on it worked
pretty well. A closed pair of needle nose pliers works sometimes too
(or maybe with a shim stuck in the jaws to change the angle). These
of course make a belled end - the expander could make a parallel sided
section as you could move the bulge in and out instead of only at the
end.)

The difference in behavior between the annealed and work hardened
condition is substantial.

Rich Grise[_3_] January 18th 11 02:41 AM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

dan wrote:
RogerN wrote in

Metalworking, resizing copper tubing-

I measured the tubing and reads around .655", about .030" too big. I was
able to taper the end of the copper and hammer the compression nut onto
the tubing, this "sized" the tubing enough to get the compression sleeve
on and I got the valve on the line, but I would like to fix it better
later.

I could either shrink the tubing down to .625" or expand to solder a
correctly sized tubing inside the end of the old tubing.

Could you bore out one side of a coupling, and add a short length of
the proper sized tubing? Hmm, .030 is probably too much for a common
coupling to be bored out. Could you make a coupling(f/m adaptor?)
from a piece of brass?

I'd go with the turning, if OP has access to a lathe. Once, at the
shop where I sit, we needed some bizarre adapter for a vacuum pump,
and the boss said, "Hey, we're a machine shop. Just make one!"

It took about an hour, including learning how to turn a 1.25-32
thread!

But they also just happened to have had a perfect piece of brass just
lying there in the "cutoff" bin.

Cheers!
Rich

[email protected] January 18th 11 05:16 AM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:34:43 GMT, (dan) wrote:

RogerN wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:43:08 -0600:

Metalworking, resizing copper tubing-

I measured the tubing and reads around .655", about .030" too big. I was
able to taper the end of the copper and hammer the compression nut onto the
tubing, this "sized" the tubing enough to get the compression sleeve on and
I got the valve on the line, but I would like to fix it better later.

I could either shrink the tubing down to .625" or expand to solder a
correctly sized tubing inside the end of the old tubing.

Could you bore out one side of a coupling, and add a short length of
the proper sized tubing? Hmm, .030 is probably too much for a common
coupling to be bored out. Could you make a coupling(f/m adaptor?)
from a piece of brass?

Just get some emery cloth and sand down the outside of the pipe a wee
bit and solder a 5/8 to 1/5 adapter on. Might need to heat the adapter
a bit - copper grows significantly when heated.
I'm ASSuming the 5.8" tubing is "soft" copper??? Most "hard" copper is
1/2 or 3/4".

David Billington January 18th 11 11:34 AM

RogerN wrote:
[...]

Can you make a pair of swaging blocks?. Basically bore a hole in a
suitable piece of material to the current tube OD then cut the material
in half, you may want to add a taper at one end to blend the diameters.
You then squeeze the tube repeatedly , rotating slightly between each
squeeze, and you can quickly reduce the size by the amount you want. I
regularly do this with stainless steel tube and have made a few sizes of
blocks that I mount in my fly press. I expect a vice could be used as well.

Bob Engelhardt January 18th 11 03:50 PM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

First, some nomenclatu plumbing pipe is named by its nominal ID.
Your 5/8 OD copper pipe is what's called 1/2". And it's highly
standardized - how a piece that's .655 got into play is the question.
Unless it's 3/8" threaded brass pipe, but that's larger, about .67 OD.

The 3/8" brass makes more sense, 'cause it was often used to plumb
toilets. I don't think that I've ever seen a toilet plumbed with 1/2'
pipe. Is the pipe-valve connection threaded?

The solution is to replace that .655 pipe between the valve & the
toilet. If the toilet valve that it connects to requires that size
pipe, replace the valve too. That's highly unlikely, though, unless the
valve is Victorian era. And then it should be replaced anyhow.

Bob

Bob Engelhardt January 18th 11 06:00 PM

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The solution is to replace that .655 pipe between the valve & the
toilet. If the toilet valve that it connects to requires that size
pipe, replace the valve too. ...

Oh, wait ... if the toilet valve has a 3/8 NPT fitting, then an adapter
to 1/2" copper would be used.

Bob

Jim Wilkins January 18th 11 06:15 PM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

On Jan 18, 5:34*am, David Billington
wrote:
RogerN wrote:
[...]

Try the clamp bars in a flaring set. You might have to pad the ridges.
Mine measures 0.622" ID

jsw

[email protected] January 18th 11 08:52 PM

On Jan 17, 4:43*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

What kind of compression fitting? I remember a few shutoff valves
that used a special chromed brass or copper tube that had a flange at
one end that mated up with a special nipple, had a flat plastic washer
between the tube and the valve and a nut that went over the top to
make the connection. The other end telescoped into the ballcock and
was secured with a plastic compression washer and nut. Don't know if
that tubing was a standard size or not, it was usually bought as an
assembly with all hardware at the same time as a new ballcock.
Haven't messed with any of that sort for ages. Plastic flex lines
going to a ball valve for shutoff last a lot longer and a whole lot
easier to replace. Ditto with the new-style all-plastic ballcocks.
That special shutoff valve either leaked or froze up when it was time
to do shutoff duty and had to be replaced anyway. Sometimes messing
around with the old plumbing stuff just isn't worth the time
invested. I've been scrapping the old stuff as and when I find it.

Stan

Wes[_5_] January 19th 11 01:20 AM

"RogerN" wrote:

Metalworking, resizing copper tubing-

Sounds like it froze. Do you have a flaring tool? Perhapes you can put the tubing in the
stocks and really reef on wing nuts nad squeeze it back to diameter.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

RogerN January 19th 11 03:23 AM

"Ignoramus26212" wrote in message
On 2011-01-17, RogerN wrote:
[...]

I don't have one but I don't think it would help if I did. The tubing that
needs sized runs under the house and up through the bathroom floor. It
might work if there were something like a pipe cutter with a third roller
replacing the blade.

RogerN

RogerN January 19th 11 03:28 AM

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking the same thing but a coupler was too small ID for the
oversize tubing. I'm thinking about getting flare coupling and joining by
flaring to correctly sized tubing.

RogerN

RogerN January 19th 11 03:33 AM

"David Billington" wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
Metalworking, resizing copper tubing-

snip
Any reasonably priced tubing expanding tools to expand the end of the
original tubing to accept a piece of 5/8" tubing to be soldered in?

Thanks!

RogerN

Can you make a pair of swaging blocks?. Basically bore a hole in a
suitable piece of material to the current tube OD then cut the material
in half, you may want to add a taper at one end to blend the diameters.
You then squeeze the tube repeatedly , rotating slightly between each
squeeze, and you can quickly reduce the size by the amount you want. I
regularly do this with stainless steel tube and have made a few sizes of
blocks that I mount in my fly press. I expect a vice could be used as
well.

Sounds like something like that might work. If I could get it shrunk enough
to solder a coupling I could join to a correctly sized piece.

RogerN

RogerN January 19th 11 03:37 AM

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
First, some nomenclatu plumbing pipe is named by its nominal ID. Your
5/8 OD copper pipe is what's called 1/2". And it's highly standardized -
how a piece that's .655 got into play is the question. Unless it's 3/8"
threaded brass pipe, but that's larger, about .67 OD.

The 3/8" brass makes more sense, 'cause it was often used to plumb
toilets. I don't think that I've ever seen a toilet plumbed with 1/2'
pipe. Is the pipe-valve connection threaded?

The solution is to replace that .655 pipe between the valve & the toilet.
If the toilet valve that it connects to requires that size pipe, replace
the valve too. That's highly unlikely, though, unless the valve is
Victorian era. And then it should be replaced anyhow.

Bob

It's soft copper tubing, easy to bend by hand. This is an older house, not
sure why the tubing is too thick though. Flare fittings might not be as
critical OD as compression fittings are, might work fine for flaring.

RogerN

RogerN January 19th 11 03:46 AM

wrote in message
On Jan 17, 4:43 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

********************

The valve is a small chrome plated brass valve with a 5/8" compression
fitting on one end and a 3/8" compression fitting on the other end. The
toilet hose I bought had a 3/8" compression coupling on one end and one that
matched the toilet on the other end. All the compression fittings had a
brass ring that gets compressed tight around the tubing as the nut is
tightened.

RogerN

[email protected] January 19th 11 03:55 AM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:23:51 -0600, "RogerN"

"Ignoramus26212" wrote in message
m...
On 2011-01-17, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Use the lathe to machine out the fitting you need to solder over it.

[email protected] January 19th 11 04:06 AM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:37:36 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

[...]

Soft tubing sizes ARE different from hard copper "piping" There are
fittings made to transition them. (or used to be, anyway)

Bob Engelhardt January 19th 11 04:20 AM

RogerN wrote:
It's soft copper tubing, easy to bend by hand. This is an older

house, not
sure why the tubing is too thick though. Flare fittings might not be as
critical OD as compression fittings are, might work fine for flaring.

Yeah, I'd agree that flare probably isn't as sensitive. Modern flare
fittings work with standard size pipe/tubing. I.e., there's not a
special size for flare use.

I didn't realize until your last post that you have already replaced the
shutoff-to-toilet pipe and this problem is on the other side of the
shutoff. It's going to be hard to work on that piece and what I would
do is turn a brass female-female adapter to go from .655 to .625 & use a
1/2" stub from the adapter to the shutoff.

Bob

Wild_Bill January 19th 11 07:07 AM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

Previously freezing, which could've expanded the tubing's OD is a likely
possibility if the climate is seasonal.
The tubing might then have micro-cracks, which I've found before.. the
resulting leakage can produce a fine mist that's difficult to see, and may
only be detectable by feeling the mist on sensitive skin, such as the
underside of a forearm.

Making an adapter/bushing or coupler would be a fairly simple task with the
proper equipment.
Properly soldered connections will likely be more reliable than most flare
or compression fixes. Certain types of water chemistry can fairly rapidly
deteriorate flare connections.

A suitable adapter doesn't have to be an off-the-shelf plumbing part
available in typical store stock.. it could be almost any non-ferrous metal
part that is solderable.

Those flex lines sure are handy.. I prefer them to the slow-flowing,
noise-generating small tubes that have been the commonly installed
"standard" for decades.

Having supply lines coming out of walls, not from the floor, is a much more
practical installation where the lines could be exposed and possibly
subjected to bumps etc from a sweeper or mop.
Wall feeds also make cleaning the floor area easier.

--
WB

Rich Grise[_3_] January 19th 11 08:10 AM

Wild_Bill wrote:

Previously freezing, which could've expanded the tubing's OD is a likely
possibility if the climate is seasonal.
The tubing might then have micro-cracks, which I've found before.. the
resulting leakage can produce a fine mist that's difficult to see, and may
only be detectable by feeling the mist on sensitive skin, such as the
underside of a forearm.

Would some aggressive acid flux and a good slathering of silver-bearing
solder seal the microcracks?

Thanks,
Rich

[email protected] January 19th 11 09:01 PM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:10:59 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Wild_Bill wrote:

Previously freezing, which could've expanded the tubing's OD is a likely
possibility if the climate is seasonal.
The tubing might then have micro-cracks, which I've found before.. the
resulting leakage can produce a fine mist that's difficult to see, and may
only be detectable by feeling the mist on sensitive skin, such as the
underside of a forearm.

Would some aggressive acid flux and a good slathering of silver-bearing
solder seal the microcracks?

Thanks,
Rich

I guess that depends how far they have propogated.

whit3rd January 19th 11 09:23 PM

On Jan 18, 6:37*pm, "RogerN" wrote:

It's soft copper tubing, easy to bend by hand. *This is an older house, not
sure why the tubing is too thick though.

From hints in the previous discussion, it seems that this pipe was
outside the
heated house, and it probably froze at some time, but didn't quite
burst.
I'd consider the whole length to be suspect, and replace it. Another
possibility
is to stretch the copper of a fitting (little hammer and the horn of
an anvil
will do it) until it fits, so you can solder a standard size fitting
and
connect up your new work to that fitting's unstretched ports.

[email protected] January 21st 11 06:53 AM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:43:08 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

[...]

I think you may be dealing with refrigeration tubing. Do a Google for
Copper Tubing Handbook.

James Exarhos March 15th 17 03:18 PM

Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

replying to clare, James Exarhos wrote:
I think what is needed is a device like a tubing cutter ,only with three flat
rollers. Use your bernzomatic to heat the copper to relax the "work hardness"
and roll it down to size. It would be g ol of to heat it a second time so it
expand under pressure and seal well.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ze-487635-.htm