Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Well, that took too long...

On 01/08/2011 05:59 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Just to show that real metalworking discussion happens on this group,
I'm happy to report that I took a pulley off a power steering pump today
-- after much too much time.

Problem:

Swap-meet pump has brackets that don't fit, and a stud that some @#$%

-- drivel snipped --

seats, and the radiator from god only knows what, was obviously
convinced that he was a mechanical genius. I'm not so sure of that.

Update: the pump is in, with only low comedy for 'incidents'.

I got it on, took the old front pulley off the engine, then grabbed the
nearest front pulley I had -- damn, it don't fit that there harmonic
balancer thingie. Nor did the other two floating around on the surface.
Damn, damn, and furthermore -- crap. I was just about to start
cutting metal on something when I saw the _other_ thing I yanked of my
brother's parts engine -- the front pulley that's right for the engine.
Yay! I'm saved!

Now I just need a belt and hoses, and I'll have power steering.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 10:46*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

See details athttp://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

Tim, maybe I missed it in this long thread. Don't you also need a
power steering "gear box" or a ps "rack & pinion"? You already had
that installed, or the car came with it?

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/09/2011 08:32 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
On Jan 8, 10:46 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

I installed the box -- which was a saga in itself. I have put power
steering into a couple of 69-72 Chevy trucks before. That's an easy
swap, because the manual steering box is directly interchangeable with
the power steering box. So all you have to do is waltz down to the
local wrecking yard, harvest a compatible steering box, pump, brackets,
etc., order hoses from the parts store, and bolt them on.

(It's even easy to put a mid-seventies GM _van_ steering box onto a
pickup chassis. When my dad put together his '39 Ford cab-over he built
it on a '73 pickup frame. I was detailed to do the power steering
install. The steering box just bolts right on to the frame, using three
of the four existing holes, and everything lines up like it was designed
that way).

The '63 has a box that takes the same Pittman arm, but the steering
snout is longer (meaning you have to shorten the steering shaft) and it
mounts with four bolts instead of three. So you have to mount the box,
shorten the steering shaft, use a different rag joint, make custom
hoses, etc., etc., etc.

So I bought a kit from a vendor. It had everything that I needed --
except that the included adapter plate put the steering box at a really
bad angle -- not only was the steering shaft bent past the limits of
what I feel safe subjecting a rag joint to, but the Pittman arm was out
of whack. So I ended up keeping their steering shaft adapter and a few
other miscellaneous pieces, but I had to completely chuck their adapter
plate, move some holes on the frame, _make_ a hole on the frame in it's
own little pocket, etc., etc.

The parts that I used did add value, and I trust them. But boy that
adapter plate turned into an unhappy debacle!

*&^%. Not all crap comes from China.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Well, that took too long... Steve W.[_4_] Metalworking 2 January 10th 11 10:15 PM
You have come a long way Wes[_5_] Metalworking 8 July 11th 10 03:42 PM
A Long Long Tale of B&Q Mixer Taps michael adams[_3_] UK diy 3 October 28th 09 10:59 PM
8' long rip on TS MikeWhy Woodworking 42 December 18th 08 06:01 PM
Shock well - how long is too long? S.L. Home Ownership 1 January 16th 05 10:43 PM