Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boring bar satisfaction

Picked up a 3" boring bar from Mesa Tool in order to use in my 1/2"
boring head. Had to use it today making a crank handle for a chicom
lathe. The cheap ass chicom brazed boring bar chattered, stuck in this
bar into my Aloris AXA-104, and it quieted down. Last pass was done with
the feed engaged, uniform finish (c'mon, 1026 steel, this is not a
mirror finish).

For a schematic, look in Geo. H. Thomas' book, "The Model Engineers
Workshop Manual", page 138, figure 12.9
http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books/in-your-workshop/model-engineers-workshop-manual/

Set up the compound for a 10 degree internal taper for the expander plug
to pull into. Hmm... After I get the crank handle complete, I can diddle
with threading... Tapers. Threading. ER40 collet chuck... Too bad I
can't do a power feed with the compound.

Thinking of swapping out the TCMW 322 sized insert with a chipbreaker.