Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More on manuals

I have a personal collection of PDF manuals, where I only collected
692 PDF files. This is only the stuff that I needed at various points.
Not anything downloaded en masse.

Anyway, it has been open to anyone and to search engines since day
one. I looked at access counts just for one day of yesterday, and found
out that there were 1,038 downloads of those files in one day, and
that was ONLY counting direct downloads referred by google search pages.

So, 692 files == 1,038 downloads per day.

I would think that if I had, say, 10,000 manuals, it would be perhaps
10k downloads per day. Every download, pretty much, is a CDROM seller
who is not getting paid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:25:59 -0600, Ignoramus30509
wrote:

I have a personal collection of PDF manuals, where I only collected
692 PDF files. This is only the stuff that I needed at various points.
Not anything downloaded en masse.

Anyway, it has been open to anyone and to search engines since day
one. I looked at access counts just for one day of yesterday, and found
out that there were 1,038 downloads of those files in one day, and
that was ONLY counting direct downloads referred by google search pages.

So, 692 files == 1,038 downloads per day.

I would think that if I had, say, 10,000 manuals, it would be perhaps
10k downloads per day. Every download, pretty much, is a CDROM seller
who is not getting paid.

I bought a dual DVD collection called Guns & Glory for $15, delivered.
With 1500 PDFs and jpgs on it, it would have take a whole lot longer
for me to have downloded it individually than it was worth. I think I
got a deal (a penny apiece), even though they're all PD files.

It has all the gov't manuals (guns, HE, survival, basic, command
tactics, medical, dental training, etc.) plus 100+ rifle and pistol
use and repair manuals, and a lot more. I would have taken me weeks to
find and download all those, let along burn the DVDs. I think that's a
steal, myself.

I've bought other decent sized collections (engineering, bookbinding,
construction, etc.) for good prices, too.

Yeah, here are some braindead dealers who want ten bucks (+ $5 for
shipping) for a pair of PDFs, and that's a ripoff. But most of them
want a buck for the CDs.

Why the rabid hate for these guys, Ig?

--
A smile is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Larry, if you could get any of those manuals when you need one, you
would not even want to buy a DVD.

Additionally, I am sure that you did not get everything, not even
close.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You forgot to answer this, Iggy.

Larry, if you could get any of those manuals when you need one, you
would not even want to buy a DVD.

That may be true for some people, but I like to keep libraries of
useful things, too. I didn't need anything in that particular library
at the time I bought it, but knew it would be handy during any
possible second American Revolution, knowwhatImean,Vern?

Additionally, I am sure that you did not get everything, not even
close.

Interesting statement, seein' as you haven't even seen the TOC for the
DVDs yet.

--
A smile is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This the one Larry?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=210054637

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's it, Steve. I think it was only 1,500 manuals and 2 discs when
I bought it. Now it's 5k! I got the smaller version for $15 and
couldn't even compile the listings for that price, let alone track
down the files and burn 'em.

Pretty nice compilation, isn't it?

--
If you're looking for the key to the Universe,
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked.
--Swami Beyondananda
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And you can use them in places where there is no internet available.
Iggy might try it on a smart phone, but sometimes you need to print out
a few pages to make notes on.

--
What are you looking for, all the way down here?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

This the one Larry?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=210054637

That's it, Steve. I think it was only 1,500 manuals and 2 discs when
I bought it. Now it's 5k! I got the smaller version for $15 and
couldn't even compile the listings for that price, let alone track
down the files and burn 'em.

Pretty nice compilation, isn't it?

There are manuals in there that I have never heard of.

Some of them could be interesting though...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 10:44:16 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

This the one Larry?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=210054637

That's it, Steve. I think it was only 1,500 manuals and 2 discs when
I bought it. Now it's 5k! I got the smaller version for $15 and
couldn't even compile the listings for that price, let alone track
down the files and burn 'em.

Pretty nice compilation, isn't it?

There are manuals in there that I have never heard of.

Some of them could be interesting though...

Dental training as a military manual?

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope